16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roll crimping with drill press
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

I have the BPI roll crimper on the way. Plan on using my drill press to do this. I'm assuming I need to use a low RPM setting on the press?
mart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Low RPM's seems to work best for me. I've done a few with RPM's cranked up and they get pretty hot, pretty fast. I get mine set the way I want it for the crimp and lock the depth stop down and then all my crimps are consistent. I actually like my little, cheap, Sears bench top drill press better than my big freestanding press. The stop is more positive and it's easier to change the belt for changing RPM's.

A hull vice is a big help, either a commercial one or homemade. One of the easiest homemade ones I've seen was two strips of hardwood, about 3/4"x1.5", 12-15 inches long and hinged at one end. The guy had a series of different sized holes to accommodate different gauges and then just squeezed the open end to tighten the grip on the hull. Looked like it would work well. I have a hull vice but would have done the homemade tongs if I had seen them earlier.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

mart wrote:
Low RPM's seems to work best for me. I've done a few with RPM's cranked up and they get pretty hot, pretty fast. I get mine set the way I want it for the crimp and lock the depth stop down and then all my crimps are consistent. I actually like my little, cheap, Sears bench top drill press better than my big freestanding press. The stop is more positive and it's easier to change the belt for changing RPM's.

A hull vice is a big help, either a commercial one or homemade. One of the easiest homemade ones I've seen was two strips of hardwood, about 3/4"x1.5", 12-15 inches long and hinged at one end. The guy had a series of different sized holes to accommodate different gauges and then just squeezed the open end to tighten the grip on the hull. Looked like it would work well. I have a hull vice but would have done the homemade tongs if I had seen them earlier.

Fantastic, thank you. I actually bought a cheapo harbor freight tabletop press just for this and changed the belt to the lowest setting. Waiting on the rest of my components to arrive. New to this and ready to get started.
mart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I just put an order in to BPI today for a 24 gauge roll crimper and some wads. I recently picked up one of the American Arms O/Us in 24 gauge and have two cases of ammo on the way.

I roll crimp 10, 12, 16 depending on the load, and now will be doing 24 gauge.

Your Harbor Freight press should do just fine as long as you can either lock the depth stop down positively or set the press table to where the shell is properly crimped at the end of the press stoke. That's what I had to do with my big press as the depth stop couldn't be locked down well enough and would slip a little. I switched to the little Sears press and never had any more trouble.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

mart wrote:
I just put an order in to BPI today for a 24 gauge roll crimper and some wads. I recently picked up one of the American Arms O/Us in 24 gauge and have two cases of ammo on the way.

Your Harbor Freight press should do just fine as long as you can either lock the depth stop down positively or set the press table to where the shell is properly crimped at the end of the press stoke. That's what I had to do with my big press as the depth stop couldn't be locked down well enough and would slip a little. I switched to the little Sears press and never had any more trouble.

I don't suppose I've ever seen a 24 gauge shotgun. Sounds like fun.

It seems like I'll be able to adjust everything and lock the depth securely. I imagine there will be some trial and error on my part but I'll enjoy it
mart
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

It's pretty simple once you get it set to the depth you like. I really like the roll crimped loads.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:46 am  Reply with quote

The MEC Supersizer works very well as a hull vice for RC'ing, 2 birds 1 stone. I use a 28ga collet for holding/sizing the 24ga hulls.

WVbirdman
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:14 am  Reply with quote

mart wrote:
It's pretty simple once you get it set to the depth you like. I really like the roll crimped loads.

I do like the look of them. Another reason I'm going in that direction is because my Fox is chambered at 2 1/2", so it gives me more flexibility on the loads I can use and still get a good crimp.
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:05 am  Reply with quote

mart wrote:

Picked a 24 BLNE and love it for light days when out for long walks with the dogs.

I really like RMC brass hulls for it too.

Not a 16, and I doubt I will ever buy another, but at 5lb 2oz a nice ultralight

mart
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

old colonel wrote:
Picked a 24 BLNE and love it for light days when out for long walks with the dogs.

I haven't weighed mine yet but it feels like about 6 pounds. I am going to order four boxes each of the Magtech 24 gauge and 16 gauge brass cases later this fall after I sell a bunch of reloading supplies (mostly bullets and brass) I no longer need.
mart
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

old colonel wrote:

I haven't weighed mine yet but it feels like about 6 pounds. I am going to order four boxes each of the Magtech 24 gauge and 16 gauge brass cases later this fall after I sell a bunch of reloading supplies (mostly bullets and brass) I no longer need.
mart
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

old colonel wrote:
mart wrote: