16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Opening Day Dove in AZ with "new" Auto5 Sweet16
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yesterday was the opener, went out in the afternoon to a spot in the desert I know about 2 miles from me where the dove fly over heading towards a canal. About a mile walk from my car. Left home at 1730, shot 15 dove by 1845, 7 min before last shooting.

I took my (new to me) Browing Sweet16 Auto5 for it's first ever field hunt, and it did great! Shot 24 rounds of Herters 1oz #8 with an IC choke out of this 1987 Japanese-made gun. Maybe not a 40 yard load though, I hit 3 dove with solid feather bursts I watched float down, but dove just kept flying off out of sight, probably coyote food but I never saw them come down to chase after. Great skeet load though, I've gotten a few 24's with it at the range while waiting for dove season!

Was very happy with the Auto5 except possibly ejection too strong... was getting 10ft ejection which tossed the hulls into bushes and made them very hard to find... I probably missed 70% of my shooting opportunities while crawling around after those valuable-like-gold hulls LOL.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Did the limmit get increased? whenI lived In Oracle it was 10

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Arizona-s-dove-bag-limit-is-now-15-birds.shtml

https://kdminer.com/news/2018/aug/21/2018-2019-dove-regulations-available-online/

https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-portal-wordpress/azgfd.wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/24093438/2018-19-AZ-Hunt-Regulations_WEB.pdf

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:10 am  Reply with quote

Yep, been 15 for many years now. I like that, as it means I can get enough dove for a bit of a meal without having to stock up on them in the fridge first. My kids just love the dove Wink