Danwalker
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with the TriStar hunter ex in 16
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

Welcome on your first posting

I have many TriStar shotguns, but you must
give more info. Where was you one you mention made?

Mine are SXS and made by Zabala in Spain

BUT for about $500 they are worth the chance Smile
and they are listed at 6 pounds

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/tristar-hunter-ex-over-under-shotgun-16-gauge-28-chrome-lined-barrel-fiber-optic-sights-wood-stock-blued-finish-33308-713780333083.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=428590

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/tristar-hunter-ex-over-under-16-gauge-28-barrel-2-rounds?a=1809023

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tristar-products-hunter-ex-16-gauge-over-under-shotgun

Mike

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

I only owned one in .410. It was quite unreliable and shot a mile low. That was a couple years back, when they first hit the market. From what others now report, the quality control has improved since then.

Danwalker
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

It says made in Turkey by Artemis . Is over under, I went ahead and bought it . So far have a couple boxes thru it and it seems to function properly just a bit stiff being new. Thanks for the input
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 am  Reply with quote

Do the make one with 2 triggers ?
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Danwalker wrote:

I have had some recent experience with a Tristar Hunter Ex in 410. The trigger mechanism failed after several rounds through it. A member of my local club used it as a target gun. It is my understanding that he has had a great deal of trouble with the gun.

The trigger stop broke and had to be replaced. The entire trigger is made of some nonferrous metal (aluminum or pot metal). It does not look like it was made to last.

In the past few years, I have taken in for repair, 3 Turkish made shotguns. Two of them involved trigger or sear failures. One was a sxs that had the bottom rib fail and the forearm locking lug moved. That gun came to me twice. I finally ended up resoldering the bottom rib back in place and filling the space near the lug with solder to prevent it from moving. The rib was made of very soft steel.

I greatly question the metallurgy of these guns.

Also, I had a member of the high school trap team that I coach show up one day with a Turkish made pump shotgun. It was less than a year old. When he fired the gun at a pattern board at 16 yards to determine the fit and point of aim vs point of impact, we found that it shot a pattern 7" low and left of the point of aim.

Upon inspection, the choke tube was drilled off center in the barrel.

At this time, I am not a fan of Turkish made shotguns. Their quality may well be improving, but I would be very wary of what appears to be a bargain.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

It sounds like your experience was about the same as mine. I once called the TriStar a turd on Facebook, somewhat in jest and somewhat in disgust with my personal example. Some poor guy who owned one was offended and assumed I was a snob! I think he realized later that I was just offering colorful advice and have owned cheaper guns than the TriStar. Cheaper but more reliable. The bottom line is that even if the warranty is good, that is of little consolation when you stand on a hillside 2 miles from the truck and watch your dog finding birds you can't shoot.

df
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Have not owned one but have handled and examined. There is a reason for their price.
Paperhulls
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:50 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
Danwalker wrote:

I have had some recent experience with a Tristar Hunter Ex in 410. The trigger mechanism failed after several rounds through it. A member of my local club used it as a target gun. It is my understanding that he has had a great deal of trouble with the gun.

The trigger stop broke and had to be replaced. The entire trigger is made of some nonferrous metal (aluminum or pot metal). It does not look like it was made to last.

In the past few years, I have taken in for repair, 3 Turkish made shotguns. Two of them involved trigger or sear failures. One was a sxs that had the bottom rib fail and the forearm locking lug moved. That gun came to me twice. I finally ended up resoldering the bottom rib back in place and filling the space near the lug with solder to prevent it from moving. The rib was made of very soft steel.

I greatly question the metallurgy of these guns.

Also, I had a member of the high school trap team that I coach show up one day with a Turkish made pump shotgun. It was less than a year old. When he fired the gun at a pattern board at 16 yards to determine the fit and point of aim vs point of impact, we found that it shot a pattern 7" low and left of the point of aim.

Upon inspection, the choke tube was drilled off center in the barrel.

At this time, I am not a fan of Turkish made shotguns. Their quality may well be improving, but I would be very wary of what appears to be a bargain.

I had a Hatfield Turkish made semiauto brought to me because it wouldn't fire and my buddy had bought it for my son 2 weeks before turkey season this year and didn't have time to send it back. When I function checked it, in the fire position I could not get the hammer to drop. I disassembled it and found that the slot in the trigger that hits the trigger stop wasn't cut right and bottomed out before the seat released the hammer. It's obvious this gun didn't get a good function check before it left the factory.
Quigley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry.. triple post

Last edited by Quigley on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quigley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Last edited by Quigley on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quigley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

I had the tristar hunter ex 16 o/u for a short while last year. It was heavy, had sharp edges on the receiver making it uncomfortable to carry, and it doubled on me during sage grouse season. Returned it on Davidson’s warantee (great distributor btw) and moved on.
Danwalker
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have had it for a while now seems to work well I shot an 81 in sporting clays so I guess I will keep it till it breaks
alabamatriker
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I bought one brand new in 16 ga. Turned out to shoot a mile high. Shimmed the buttplate till it shot where I wanted it. Has been completely reliable. Trigger is a bit rough. Kill 3 wood ducks with 4 shots in the first hunt. Will be using it plenty this season. For lead shot it likes 7.5's better than 8's and I use steel 4's on improved cyl on bottom and steel 2's in mod choke on top. This works well on decoying ducks.