16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bears and Bird Dogs
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and opinions on the bear issue. I just got off the phone with a Mr. Westly Sarmento who is the bear program guy for Montana FWP Region Three. He turned me on to a Facebook site, "Montana FWP Prairie Bear Monitor" where bear sighting's and related info are published. While logged on, the sighting of a sub-adult grizzly bear was reported near Shelby, MT where I'll be parking my trailer. I'll also keep his phone number handy to insure I avoid any bear contact if possible. I intend to handle it like flying a combat mission in Viet Nam, plan, study the dangers as much as possible and then execute the plan, with the caveat that an aborted mission in the face of the enemy is the smart way to go.

duckdup
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the MT FWP info Riflemeister. Have a safe hunt...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Builder
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:37 am  Reply with quote

I hope it is not one of us.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hunter-in-montana-kills-grizzly-bear-injures-cub-in-self-defense-officials-say/ar-BBNEP7M?li=BBnbfcL

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I've got everything ready to take off first thing tomorrow morning on my bird hunting trip. Talked with the bear manager today and he confirmed I'm not likely to encounter any bears north of Shelby and east of I-15 where I intend to hunt the BMA's. I will be very cautious and alert despite the assurances I got today.

The road warriors, Rebel and Bode ready to go hunt birds for about a month.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Shelby MT, fantastic region, griz notwithstanding. You might consider teaming up with another hunter, as the birds run down the draws and a blocker helps.

Plenty of nice folks visiting there who would be happy to join up w/ you, or ask at local motels etc,

Use the wind to your advantage. It blows hard down off the mountains and the birds flush upwind then climb and circle downwind.

Very Best of Luck,

B
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,
Enjoy Big Sky Country with those fine looking shorthairs. The markings remind me of two I had a number of years back.

Don’t let all this chatter put you in a state of Jaws Beach Syndrome. Good advice but more than likely not needed.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Great looking truck and camper,couple of able dogs and a month to go chase birds. Hope you have a great trip! Smile

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,

Looks like a nice rig to travel in! Have a good time Bird hunting! I leave for the log cabin in Potter/Tioga, Pa this week also! The Ford Jaco Motor Home is already there! Plan on taking some short trips with the motor home and the dogs to grouse hunt.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55121_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Griffon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:50 am  Reply with quote

That picture looks like a recipe for disaster Pine Creek, two dogs in close proximity to a RV turd hose. They let you pump sewage on the ground in Potter County?

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:10 am  Reply with quote

Dang, the weather has been kicking my butt up here in Montana. The rain and snow finally cleared enough yesterday afternoon where I was able to get out and scout a few hunting areas. We can get out this morning to get these stir crazy dogs on some birds, but rain turning to snow is supposed to arrive by noon. It will be at least tomorrow afternoon before I can get out again. The temps are supposed to run 20 degrees below normal for at least another week and storms are stacked up to arrive every other day. The locals are scratching their heads over the unseasonable weather. I just hope to get out enough to at least get the dogs in some sort of shape for the season. It's hard to stay optimistic in this situation, but that's hunting.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I hear you on that one. The weather down here in Wyoming is not too bad in the low country, but the mountains where I hunt blues and ruffs show snow and mostly temps in the 30's through next Wednesday. I may say heck with it and go anyway. The big issue is not staying dry, it's my darn glasses! If it's not too windy though, the hat brim takes care of some of that spotting problem,

mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Dang, the weather has been kicking my butt up here in Montana. The rain and snow finally cleared enough yesterday afternoon where I was able to get out and scout a few hunting areas. We can get out this morning to get these stir crazy dogs on some birds, but rain turning to snow is supposed to arrive by noon. It will be at least tomorrow afternoon before I can get out again. The temps are supposed to run 20 degrees below normal for at least another week and storms are stacked up to arrive every other day. The locals are scratching their heads over the unseasonable weather. I just hope to get out enough to at least get the dogs in some sort of shape for the season. It's hard to stay optimistic in this situation, but that's hunting.

The locals scratching their heads have me scratching my head. This is October in MT, the weather we're having isn't abnormal. This will be the 3'rd time in the last 10 years the weather will have thrown a monkey wrench in my antelope opener plans. Not complaining, just have to redirect. Instead, maybe the Superlight Feather will have to join the throngs of opening day pheasant idiots - me being one of 'em. Laughing The blast of weather WILL NOT slow down the opening day pheasant madness here.......
mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

Just another day on a suburban street in MT. Very Happy
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55169_600x400/] [/URL]
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

The locals scratching their heads have me scratching my head. This is October in MT, the weather we're having isn't abnormal. This will be the 3'rd time in the last 10 years the weather will have thrown a monkey wrench in my antelope opener plans. Not complaining, just have to redirect. Instead, maybe the Superlight Feather will have to join the throngs of opening day pheasant idiots - me being one of 'em. Laughing The blast of weather WILL NOT slow down the opening day pheasant madness here.......

My trip last year in the last week of Antelope season featured low single digit temps in Lewistown w/plenty of snow. I loved it. My dog loved it (except his "boy parts" did get a bit ugly Embarassed ) Birds were NOT plentiful, but, we got some. After I tagged out on my Antelope and Mulie doe we'd packed it in and I heard that it turned into shirtsleeve golf weather. That's Montana. And, re: Griz. in '05 I drew a Mt. Goat tag just north of Gardner (Yellowstone). I saw fresh Griz tracks in the skiff of snow on my hike up. When I came down with a "heavy pack Very Happy " I had to use ski poles to move safely, rifle in back w/pepper spray by my side. That last mile to the truck in the dark - well my mind was playing all kinds a games with how a Griz would enjoy a buffet of Mt. Goat and my tasty behind (and the rest of me). Fun times, I'll never forget