16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  old warriors giving it their best
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:39 am  Reply with quote

was down to the cabin fri/sat ... sitting on the back porch about an hr before sunset and the beagle on my lap . Knew there would be bunny sightings and sure enough there was . she spotted one cross a trail 40yds out , and there would be no stopping her . She about broke the leash , I really didn't want the chase , but , what the he** ! . Unhooked and away she went . Didn't want an all niter - she won't quit till she can't walk . 10 yrs old . She hit the trail - bunny had gone right , she went left , and after a hectic chase - went right to the hole and lost it . Great howling ! Very short chase thank god , and she let me catch her . She's almost given it up as she can't chase the village rabbits at home , but the old memories flood back !!

mtbirder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Old Warriors are great.
Mine will be 11 in a couple weeks, she hunted blue grouse at almost 8000' a couple days ago.
She was born in SW Montana, mom a Griffon, dad a Choc Lab - she exhibits the best of both of them. I'll never have another like her.
10+ seasons of Montana mountains, prairies, coulees, and river bottoms....
Numerous trips to the Doc for the usual bird dog injuries.....
Two rebuilt ACL's.....
Every hunt now, as well the minutes spent together get more and more bittersweet. She's still going strong today, but age is creeping up with her - I can see it. She taught me about bird hunting the way it should be. Without her (and her trainee) I would not be on this site, as I would have no use for my 16's.
I know, as all of us bird dog lovers do that the day will come. Til then I enjoy every second I'm with her - as I'm sure do you - 16gaDavis.
I hope we both have a fair bit of time left with 'em.
Last November......
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54935_600x400/] [/URL]
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:54 am  Reply with quote

awhile back , I had a Britt . Most bizarre dog ever . Swear she'd been hit by lightning when a pup . Gun shy as all hell . She finally put a grouse up that flew by me and when I smacked it , the lite went ON !! She was OK for a couple yrs , but never REALLY got over being gun shy- learned to hunt wild . Last couple yrs 14/15, she reined in . Last hunt , I hit a bird fairly hard and it coasted into a pile of crap that'd been bulldozed up . She covered that spot for 20 mins till she couldn't move and had to rest . Got back up and jumped in - till another rest . 3rd time - couldn't move . Meanwhile , I'm crawlin in trying to find the bird in a chuck hole etc - never did find it . Had to carry her back to the van . Died shortly there after at 16 ... hard ! talk about love/hate !

bearman49709
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I thought you were talking about me.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:52 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 pm  Reply with quote

Seeing a gray muzzle on a dog always softens my heart. The reasons are many.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:51 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Yep the gray tells the story. 4 of my 6 incredible Grouse dogs are now hunting in the Lords never ending forest, Penny is now 14 and seriously Gray. She will do some of her last Grouse hunting this season on some of our more flat coverts, time has passed so quickly, I am now semi retired from gun dog training, we do still teach fly fishing and Grouse gunning, on a limited basis. Time catches up with us all.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Kelulu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DxBfUe] [/url]

Rhett's getting some years on him. Doc found a lump in his chest this summer but he's still holding strong. Maybe I'll get to help him into the dog box a few more times this fall.
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Satin 1987-2001
Bear 1989-2001
Lana ? -1998
Athena 1996-2010
Lady 1998-2012
Min 1999-2014
Orion 2000-2014

Sad Loved them all.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

That's a lotta' memories, James.

My old warrior keeping pace with her protege, almost 8 years her junior....[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55177_600x400/] [/URL]
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Lots of good memories. Gosh you hate to lose them but how life would suck if we never had them!

Looks like you are making some great memories yourself! Every year I shoot less and less often and just sit back and watch. I can easily envision a day when I don't carry a gun (I know blasphemy!) but can't envision a day without a doggy companion.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

It's a strange, cruel, bittersweet, amazing fact of life with dogs. We often get the gift of another special one that may not have come into our lives if wasn't for losing another(s).
I too hold my four legged partners (the birds, the land, etc) way closer than the gun.............
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:32 am  Reply with quote

My setter is 9, and probably looking at retirement in a couple years. What an amazing blessing they are. The memories bird dogs provide us are some of the best memories of my life. I can't imagine living life without them. Thankfully, my wife is totally on board with getting a setter pup in a year or two, so the cycle will continue...

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Uncle Dan Fan,

Got to admit my wife has been great about my gun dogs, I just purchased a new Female Gordon form Clear Cut Kennels, pup will be here around the end of October.

The memories will continue. Penny my incredible Gordon Grouse dog is now 14, my Ryman male is 8 now and I definitely needed some new blood in the kennel. All my other great Grouse dogs are now hunting in Gods never ending forest, I have some incredible memories because of every one of them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/55178_600x400.jpg

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I lost my best friend "Flash" last Sunday. He died at home, in his own bed,with me beside him to feel his last heartbeat. At the last, he could only move his eyes, and when he saw me comeing his tail would wag..Kidney failure at age 11....I miss him