16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 Hunting Season Photos - Let's See Them
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

If you are using any of your LeFever double guns, get some SpredR shells they work great out of both my L.C. Smith and LeFever double guns, without needing the Chokes opened up.

All the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55630_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Opening day woodcock, Georgia. Usually the birds aren't in, but this year it was different. We found 8-9, but only could get shots on two. The areas they were in were particularly thick and weren't our usual rivercane brakes. Hardwood trees are still heavily leafed. Abby and Willa on the ground the whole day. Briers took toll on Abby's ears, but by the time she was home, the cuts clotted and were treated. Willa was unscratched. Both dogs did a whole lot better than their owner. Floyd's death ray Ithaca SKB 20; my MF Ideal 16. Gil
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55634_800x600/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55635_800x600/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55636_800x600/] [/URL]
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Looks like you had a good hunt Gil. Give the pups a "gentle" ear rub from me. Very Happy

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Rick, my dogs had a day of rest today.
Monday was a bust as a top covert was a foot underwater. We did flush one bird with no cigar (us, not the bird) when we found him in a briar tangle off an elevated road. Abby and Willa on the ground. Today, Floyd's Britts Sadie (6 years) and Pop (9 years) were on the ground. Pop is a huge Brittany at 55 lbs. We found a few birds and then moved to a new location. Pop is very direct and ponders the situation before moving. We were walking down a wide shouldered woods road with thick pines on the right. Pop was strolling down the middle of the road, pondering.
Sadie was busy on the left side. Floyd was talking about Pop being tuckered out. It was as if he heard us. He was about 25 yards from the woods. He walked, not trot or run, to the edge and with a minimum of movement, locked down. Bird #2 in the bag. The switch was thrown. For the next hour and a half he and Sadie were involved in over 10 flushes. One time three birds got up. Of course, not a cut feather. Thick woods, briers, vines, leaves still on the trees (botanical excuses), made it a challenge. At times it was difficult to get a gun up. It was quite a day. Floyd's 20 ga. Ithaca SKB 100DR (Death Ray) and my 16 ga. A. Ilsley. I shot enough to let the birds know whose side I was on. Gil
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55690_800x600/] [/URL]
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Today is my older dog, Bode's 9th birthday and decided to post a few pictures from this week's preserve hunt where I finally remembered to take my camera along. Bode has had a tough couple of years with the TPLO surgery last year and then a porcupine encounter in Montana this year (full on attack by that big renegade) that has resulted in several trips to the vet for quills that had his nose swollen up like a football. Despite his obvious issues, he remains one of the happiest, positive and enthusiastic dogs imaginable.

The crew, Rebel, me and Bode with 11 of 10 bobwhite put out.

The old renegade Bode with another bobwhite locked down.

The old man, who will probably be my one great dog of a lifetime.

agridi57
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 am  Reply with quote

16ga Merkel 1622

and here is what a difference a couple of years can make!

Lucy left us on Sept 16, 2018 after battling Autoimmune Hemolytic anemia (AIHA) for three weeks. Eleven and a half wonderful years of fun.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry about Lucky, real bad situation for sure. Hope you are recovering from the loss.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

agridi57
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Sorry about Lucky, real bad situation for sure. Hope you are recovering from the loss.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Thank you Dave.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

gjw,

Beautiful JW double gun in your 1st post, simply stunning.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Great report Gil. Got a good laugh out of your last sentence. Laughing

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:18 am  Reply with quote

agridi57

Sorry for your loss

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 am  Reply with quote

Floyd, Abby, Willa and I were lucky to hunt and stay with a friend in Ga on public land and run into 7 coveys during a morning hunt today. We had 5 dogs on the ground at all times. So much for the disappearance of wild quail at least at this undisclosed location. If I told you where this was I'd have to kill myself for stupidity before my friend killed me for telling. No 16's used on the hunt. Floyd's Ithaca SKB 100 20 ga. and my Darne R-10 20 ga. Gil

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55704_800x600/] [/URL]
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Gil S,

There is a small covey of wild Quail near Bob Blaine's place in Potter/Tioga that I feel the same way about, only a couple of us still know they actually exist. If the bird numbers are below 15 we never take any birds form it. 2 years ago there were close to 18 birds in that Wild Quail Covey, I took one, this season the number is only 10, so I will not take any birds from it.

The 1st time one of the youngsters in our family witnessed the Wild Quail rise while we were Grouse hunting, he stood in disbelief. That particular Covery has been in that part of the woods as long as I have been alive. Those of us who actually have seen it make sure to never give the location away. I fully understand not giving this kind of location information out to any other hunter, the word would spread way to fast, especially here in our Grouse woods. Seeing the Wild Quail rise in our big forest is definitely a gift from God. With all our predators here in these mountains, it amazes me they still survive. What really is cool is to see a Grouse or Woodcock go up right in the middle of them, as they all explode into flight. Some day I hope to get a picture of it happening.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Very late to the party ... this time I think it might be a couple years! Hardly hunted last fall, moved to the Black Hills halfway between Hermosa and Keystone in October last year. Adding a few selected pics from west river SD pheasant hunts this season, with 13 year old Zuni (spirit is still more than willing!) and 6 year old Piper.

Zuni - 11-07-18

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55707_1024x719/] [/URL]

Piper - 11/13/18

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55709_1024x740/] [/URL]

Zuni and Piper - both pretty worn out, near sundown - 11/13/18

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55708_1024x768/] [/URL]

Piper - 12/14/18

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55711_1024x729/] [/URL]

Zuni and Piper - glorious mid-December day on the grasslands - 12/14/18

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55712_1024x767/] [/URL]
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, that's an amazing story about your covey which is under good stewardship. Unfortunately there are those who will shoot a covey down to where the roost ring offers no warmth or protection to the survivors. A few years ago a well-intentioned young hunter posted his bird kill and gave the exact location of the covey which was on public land. A few weeks later, a friend saw someone with TX tags who saw the post, drove from TX and was looking for the covey in GA. Loose lips not only sink ships but ruin honey holes. Gil