16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 Hunting Season Photos - Let's See Them
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I was wondering what happened to you, gunflint charlie.
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave! Hey, you're not the only heretical member here -- for the first time in several years I shot a 12 ga. this past Friday. Wink Still in the game, have just been on hiatus for a while. Loving life in the Black Hills, but finding decent pheasant numbers takes as long (or longer) a day trip drive as I had from the Twin Cities!

Jay
gjw
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Hey all, yesterday my son Will came home on Christmas leave from the Army and of course we went out and did our favorite pass time bird hunting! We saw some birds today, but they were on the wild side. My son did manage to get the only bird of the day (I didn't even bust a cap) after our faithful GSP went on a solid point. It was wonderful weather and a pure joy for me being able to hunt with my son Will again!

Here's Will with our Raina. Will was using his Bernardelli Roma 3E

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55716_1024x576/] [/URL]

Looking forward to hunting some more with him and my other boy Jim.

Best,

Greg

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Greg,

Great stuff, never take any of it for granted, and tell the boy thanks for his service from an old US Army CID Special Agent. Have a Great Christmas gentlemen.

God's Speed

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Striker_303
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Speaking of hunting, what is in season in May or October in WA?
I may well go on a hunting trip with my cousin and our wives there in spring or fall; we're planning to rent this house in the sticks in Washington state and go hiking and hunting there.
And of course, I'd like to know what game will be OK to hunt at this moment of the year, since it will dictate our weaponry choices.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Today was the SC opener for doodles. High expectations were doused by high water everywhere. Four flushes, two down. Floyd's Sadie and Pop did the honors. For the first time in 10 seasons, we couldn't find the first bird which went down like a bag of rocks in relatively open cover. We looked hard and the dogs couldn't find it. In keeping with my Francophilia, the tailgate is on a Citroen baguette delivery truck. Our usual suspects:

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55728_800x600/] [/URL]
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Nice to see that someone else hunts with a sling on their shotgun. Cool Laughing

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Rick Grimes,

Many people in Europe have slings on their double guns, especially their drillings, and some came right from the factory with the sling hardware on the guns. My late 1800's J.P. Sauer has the original sling hardware still on her. I seldom use the sling on the light 16 Gauge Best gun however. I do use one on my 22Mag/20Mag Savage DL when Turkey hunting however.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 am  Reply with quote

I really don't like the feel of a sling bobbing and swinging around when I mount the gun, but do have one of those slip-on jobs that I use during "cast & blast" adventures or when packing a bunch of decoys to the water an back. Very handy then.

Pockets
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

That is a 16 gauge Iside, btw.
And my 5 month old Llew Max.
He made me proud and this was the first time the new gun got dirty.
[url=https://postimg.cc/wtcfmdzr] [/url]

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:31 am  Reply with quote

I find slings useful when hunting with my dogs. They always give me a reason to check out collars, vests, etc., and not having to worry with leaning a gun against a tree or putting it out of their way and having free hands makes a difference, YMMV.
I have three 16's made by Manufrance and each has a retractable sling in stock. I have a sling on a 16 Brun-Latridge and 16 Darne R-10. My R10 20 doesn't. For that one, I use the removable Gamekeeper sling by CSMC. Here's the link to it. The muzzle end slides on the barrel and has a clear view of the rib because it is split on top of the barrels. It can be squeezed or opened to change size for various gauges.
https://www.csmcspecials.com/Gamekeeper_Leather_Shotgun_Slings_p/sling.htm

And in keeping with the objectives of this thread, here's yesterday's report and photo.
Floyd was out of town so Billy filled in. We had skittish birds to deal with in heavy cover and more than half flushed wild. We were delayed in departing for the hunt because I had Willa checked out by my vet earlier in the day. She had pustules on her inner rear thighs from fire ant bites. Got the necessary antibiotics and took her hunting with Abby. I've hunted and fished with Billy for more than a half century. He inherited from his dad this predecessor to the Superposed Diana 20 ga depicted. My R10 20 has the Gamekeeper sling on it.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55747_800x600/] [/URL]
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:13 am  Reply with quote

That's a nice photo, Gil. Killin' us northern boys as per usual. Wink
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
That's a nice photo, Gil. Killin' us northern boys as per usual. Wink

Dave, we just try to even out the season envy as you get to start a couple of months before us on upland. We do get the dove, however, in early September.. Smile
More on the slings. One dog trainer in the Dakotas doesn't use slings despite doing a lot of hands on work with his young dogs doing corrections. He simply lays his Ithaca SKB in the grass. He solved the find it in the grass issues by spray painting it muzzle to buttplate with Blaze Orange rattle can paint. I prefer using a sling. Wink

Gil
T-Bone
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Striker_303 wrote:
Speaking of hunting, what is in season in May or October in WA?
I may well go on a hunting trip with my cousin and our wives there in spring or fall; we're planning to rent this house in the sticks in Washington state and go hiking and hunting there.
And of course, I'd like to know what game will be OK to hunt at this moment of the year, since it will dictate our weaponry choices.

October many bird seasons are open; May only wild turkeys (I think...)

WA has extremely varied terrain and area specific opportunity for different bird species.This link should help:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/

Pockets
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 am  Reply with quote

THe FAIR Isides come with sling hardware, but I doubt I will ever install it, although I see where a sling would help on a long day in the prairie.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com