16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 Hunting Season Photos - Let's See Them
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:59 am  Reply with quote

I routinely commit 12 ga. crimes.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnEdiBdhj] [/URL]
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Those Nebraska pics have me excited. I will be there soon...

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:

We all backslide, but how do you feel when in commission of the crimes? That's the main thing. Speaking of 12s I will be converting a spare stock for my M59 to straight grip and like the look of the checkering on your A5. Very nice.

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Best of luck, WyoChukar, supposed to be pretty good in parts for pheasants.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 am  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

We all backslide, but how do you feel when in commission of the crimes? That's the main thing. Speaking of 12s I will be converting a spare stock for my M59 to straight grip and like the look of the checkering on your A5. Very nice.

I have love in my heart for both the 12 and 16. These two gauges cover it all. My A5-SW16 weighs all of 5 3/4 lbs, and I'm guessing my incoming FAIR 16 will be around 6 lbs., so going to smaller gauges dudn't make much practical sense to me.
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:

I have love in my heart for both the 12 and 16. These two gauges cover it all. My A5-SW16 weighs all of 5 3/4 lbs, and I'm guessing my incoming FAIR 16 will be around 6 lbs., so going to smaller gauges dudn't make much practical sense to me.

Nothing very practical to me about the 20ga M37 either, I just like it! Practicality came in the form of a Beretta 303 20ga when I was living away from my reloader and relatively cheap 20ga shells got me through some volume clays shooting. I have owned 3 different 16ga M37's, not heavy guns by any stretch, but the 20 feels better and hits better for me. The current Sweet 16 clicks off a lot of boxes, choke tubes, steel shot compatible, light weight and apparently with good balance. A possible one-gun solution, if a 20ga M37 would be allowed on the side.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 am  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

Nothing very practical to me about the 20ga M37 either, I just like it! Practicality came in the form of a Beretta 303 20ga when I was living away from my reloader and relatively cheap 20ga shells got me through some volume clays shooting. I have owned 3 different 16ga M37's, not heavy guns by any stretch, but the 20 feels better and hits better for me. The current Sweet 16 clicks off a lot of boxes, choke tubes, steel shot compatible, light weight and apparently with good balance. A possible one-gun solution, if a 20ga M37 would be allowed on the side.

I wish there were more small steel shot offerings in 16 however. Nothing smaller than 4's that I'm aware of. 7's would be perfect for snipe, doves, etc.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:

I wish there were more small steel shot offerings in 16 however. Nothing smaller than 4's that I'm aware of. 7's would be perfect for snipe, doves, etc.

That's another use for the 303 20ga, I have 6s and 7s for woodcock and they are inexpensive as well. I will likely pick up some RST Bismuth 7s to use through my 16s though, for as few as I shoot the cost isn't that big a deal.

JonP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Saw some great dog work in ND this year...which is really why I go hunting. My 6 year old and his 2 year old daughter really teamed up this year. The coming years look bright. The phez were spotty but the sharpies and huns were better than the past few years. I shot limits of sharpies a number of days. The phez improved as the corn cam out and the weather got colder. The disappointment was the ducks...maybe the flyway has moved but never saw much beyond local ducks...divers mostly...the lines of mallards in the sky never appeared. Overall...no complaints...I'm still able to put down the miles and I'm thank ful for that.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
Saw some great dog work in ND this year...which is really why I go hunting. My 6 year old and his 2 year old daughter really teamed up this year. The coming years look bright. The phez were spotty but the sharpies and huns were better than the past few years. I shot limits of sharpies a number of days. The phez improved as the corn cam out and the weather got colder. The disappointment was the ducks...maybe the flyway has moved but never saw much beyond local ducks...divers mostly...the lines of mallards in the sky never appeared. Overall...no complaints...I'm still able to put down the miles and I'm thank ful for that.

Jon, the mallards came my way after that snow last month in the Dakotas. My Drahts were rewarded with some awesome waterfowl hunting over the last month.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:03 am  Reply with quote

I can't stand didling with a camera in the field, so never many good photos. Here are the boys on a waterfowl hunt in October.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmnrzjGKj] [/URL]
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 am  Reply with quote

kgb wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:

That's another use for the 303 20ga, I have 6s and 7s for woodcock and they are inexpensive as well. I will likely pick up some RST Bismuth 7s to use through my 16s though, for as few as I shoot the cost isn't that big a deal.

That's my issue. I've been using 7 bismuth for snipe, but you really go through the ammo, so it does get expensive in a hurry.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I can't stand didling with a camera in the field, so never many good photos.

That's how I end up with tailgate shots.

JonP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I pick an hour or two and decide to take a few pics rather than shoot birds...can be a lot of fun.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

The first pheasant. The one unfortunate item was that my 1100 16 gauge broke two days before my trip and I had to use my Beretta Onyx.

The first quail & grouse.

Near the Sand Hills, the cover was much better as this area got a little moisture this year.