16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Classic Hunting reads
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Swish, it sounds great , and when you get a chance to read it, we’d love to hear about it, but only once Smile

swish
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Oh boy, not sure what happened. Sorry bout that. I’ll try and delete a few of them,, Laughing
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:57 am  Reply with quote

This thread came along at the right time...I just ordered four more books to read during those long cold nights while squirreled away in a warm camper with a tired dog curled up at my side.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking of dogs Wyo. BP sells a book called Over the Limit written by Dave Fackler that describes life in a hunting camp from a dog's point of view. A very funny book that you will enjoy the humor of.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
8mmFan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

I find that more and more of my hunting in the last few years has unfortunately been of the vicarious type. That's finally changing: I'm going to be able to get away to hunt a little more from now on.

Clay birds, gear and gun accumulation, and books helped to fill the void. I accumulated quite a book collection. I like all the guys mentioned here (the ones I've read). Speaking strictly of bird hunting and fishing, I'll second Charley Waterman. I can read--and re-read--anything he wrote. I wish I could have met him. I also like Ray Holland. His book, "Good Shot!" Is a fantastic collection of hunting pictures. I have many other favored authors. Hemingway's "Green Hills of Africa" can be read 20 times without getting old, for my money. I've read Evans, Woolner, Rutledge, and the others. But Charley's style, knowledge, experience, outlook, philosophy on dogs and guns, pretty much fill the bill for me, if I had to choose just one shotgun, bird, dog, and fishing guy. Fortunately we can have more than one, because the others are fun too. Oh, yes: Ted Trueblood wrote some really super stuff, and there's a terrific book out there floating around that's a collection of some of his stories.

8mmFan
8mmFan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Another good book... It's a recently published book, that I bought at Costco of all places. I'm in a hotel so I don't have it with me. I forget the name of the author--he's either from PA or WV. It's called "50 Years a Grouse Hunter." It's a super book about hunting Ol' Ruff.

8mmFan
shouseal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 am  Reply with quote

A great collection of hunting short stories is The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told, edited by Lamar Underwood. It includes 29 stories covering a wide range. I enjoy a number of outdoor writers, some not so well remembered, but I found this an excellent collection of quality writing. I've given it to several friends, all of whom liked it.

shouseal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 am  Reply with quote

A great collection of hunting short stories is The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told, edited by Lamar Underwood. It includes 29 stories covering a wide range. I enjoy a number of outdoor writers, some not so well remembered, but I found this an excellent collection of quality writing. I've given it to several friends, all of whom liked it.

shouseal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:30 am  Reply with quote

shouseal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:30 am  Reply with quote

mtbirder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
Swish, it sounds great , and when you get a chance to read it, we’d love to hear about it, but only once Smile

As observed again in shouseal's post(s), this multiple posting is probably due to the snafu's with the site as of late. I had the same problem awhile back - thinking my post didn't make it on so I "hit it again".
No big deal but, some peculiar issues on this site lately.....
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

A Hunter's Road by Jim Fergus. The Sporting Road - also by Jim Fergus. Anything by Jim Fergus.
T-Bone
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 am  Reply with quote

shouseal wrote:

X2...Also, A Hunter's Road is excellent.

A personal favorite is Don Thomas (E. Donnall Thomas, Jr.):
donthomasbooks

mtjim
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Guys, I don't claim to be in the league with the authors we all love. Babcock, Rutledge, Evans, Spiller, et al., but I did enjoy writing these. And since we're all 16 ga nuts here - I thought I might as well share them - http://quailtales.blogspot.com/