16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  just for sh**s and giggles
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 am  Reply with quote

Over the last yr or so , have had a few conversations with Nick about how durable the DR is . Recently did a swap with Woodie and got some Hevi Shot . Decided to see what the capacity of the DR is and it is right at 3/4oz Hevi . Ok , lets give it a shot . Loaded a couple 25/8 feds with 18grns Unique and they fit nicely . Was more concerned about how the wad held up . 1st shot , really didn't look diff than lead load . Shot 5 more and wads were great . Rough outty , smooth inny , no sign of destruction . Last talk to Nick , he figured the load might be 1250 fps and I'd be delighted . Really need a chrono !

castnblast
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:23 am  Reply with quote

I wonder how the DR16 wad would do with the TSS or the heavyweight that BPI sells? Seems like the fit would be about right. Is there a way to confirm the barrel is protected other than examining the wad and barrel?
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:51 am  Reply with quote

CNB .... think I'd use a mylar wrap inside the wad and give it a shot . As I got the HEVI shot , it was the barbells and all kinds of large and small shot mixed . Figured WTH , tried it that way figureing if anything would trash the wad , this would . didn't happen ! Have since sorted the shot into small,big , and tossed the barbells !

Last edited by 16gaDavis on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:17 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis -- What size HeviShot did you use? Also, on that Mylar wrap idea, note that Mylar wrap takes up considerable space. One wouldn't think so, but it sure seemed that way to me. I think I'd rather use an obturating plastic over powder seal, conventional fiber wadding and then only the Mylar wrap around the shot, thus insuring coverage over the full height of whatever shot charge I used -- i.e. not restricting myself to 3/4 oz.

By the way, old overhead projector sheets, and clear plastic file folders are made of Mylar. If you buy the little Mylar pieces from Ballistic Products Inc, they are quite costly, and never the right size, so you've almost always got to trim them anyway, especially for loading the 16 or smaller gauges. I use clear file folder material -- very inexpensive and easily cut! Also, by the way, BPI sells an extra thick version of the Mylar pieces. I really dislike those, as they take up even more room, making the shot column very high in the hull. They are also very difficult to bend and often locate the shot asymmetrically in the hull -- and that's in my 12 gauge experience!
castnblast
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am  Reply with quote

MaxSmoke...
I was going to use the 15gr/cc heavyweight that BPI sells. I thought that I could get about the right amount in the DR16. Maybe 1oz? At 221 #7 pellets per ounce and penetration like a lead 5, it should be a deadly 16 ga. mallard load. If the DR wad doesn't have enough room for the 15gr/cc, then I could go with 18 gr./cc TSS.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Max , don;t recall there being a particular size noted - one of the guys gave it to me . It was probably everything from 2-9 . It is now in tubes labeled largish and smallish ! The BPI should be much more set to size than the stuff I have , although not woke on that stuff . My main goal was to see how the wad held up and it was fine . Not into heavy weight loads , load seemed fine as was . By the way , a test of the old Herters wads was hilarious . The second shot , at a gallon milk jug , was awful . At the shot , conetti everywhere and 2 BB's in the jug at 25yds . The post must have blown the wad up and stuff flew everywhere !! talk about the ultimate scatter load !! (don't think a mylar would affect the load with these small loads )

scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

For what its worth ! I just filled up a DR16 wad cup with BP SP15 #7 shot. The cup holds 3/4 of an once or 221 pellets level with the sides!

Art

castnblast
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Well that's odd because BPI says there are 221 15 gm/cc 7's in an ounce??
scraggley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:29 am  Reply with quote

My apologies I misread BPs chart DR 16 cup holds 7/8 oz of sp 15 approx 193 pellets!

Art

castnblast
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:03 am  Reply with quote

193 #7 (15 gm/cc) would certainly be a lethal load. This could be the 16 gauge duck load I've been looking for if the DR wad will hold up. Anybody tested any of these?
castnblast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Roger's is selling Federal 10ga. 2oz. Heavyweight 15 for $15/box of 5. Figured I could strip it out for that. So now I need a recipe. 7/8oz in the DR??
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

I have had a couple 3/4 oz TSS18 & dr wad loads tested , I think the Dr wad would hold up just fine , but I did add a thin mylar just for extra protection .
castnblast
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Well the 10 ga. Fed Heavyweights came in Monday. Good news and bad news. Good news is that there is at least 2 oz of the #7 15gr/cc shot in each shotshell. Bad news, there is also buffer and plastic disks to that I assume were used to take up space. It's a pain to separate. Don't know that I need to, but it does add weight to the charge and since I'm splitting each load into 7/8 or 1 oz loads, it is hard to tell how much filler I'm getting in each new shell. I guess this will be my summertime project.