16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Time & Loss
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 pm  Reply with quote

Sometimes things just happen and we never know why. Other times we know...later. Well, I had intended to venture to Nevada prior to the Sept. 1 opener for Himalayan Snowcock, a dream that hatched when I was a junior in high school. However, an unbelievably long run of bizarre circumstances caused me to postpone things. Sometimes it just seems best to accept that the maker may not want you to embark at your own chosen time. After waiting 30 years, to say I have been eager is understating the obvious, so I was a little disappointed.

The toughest thing that can ever happen, even tougher than losing a dog, is losing a friend. Well it's been a tough week here, but I will relay this. Some of the time I spent here instead of in Nevada was spent with my best friend. We literally experienced the greatest day of brook trout fishing he ever witnessed during his life, he actually hurt his arm, it was that good. We followed it up last week with a golden trout/ blue grouse cast and blast. We passed my 2 wt fly rod back and forth for a couple hours in an incredible setting and also carried three blues apiece on the long hike back to my rig. Jim was able to enjoy some carefree and peaceful hours, much as we shared long before adulthood and issues caused by a stay in Iraq altered that equation forever.

My buddy was riding his Harley a few miles from his home Saturday when his front tire blew out. He did not survive the injuries. My heart has been absolutely crushed this week, but I look back on our lives and am so grateful that I didn't get off to Nevada on schedule.

Never trust tomorrow folks. Today is the time to go hunt with your dog, your kids, or best friends. Many of the trivial things that rule our lives really aren't all that important. Money always can be made later. The garage won't collapse because there are too many bags of decoys in the corner. Don't worry about getting the truck a little dirty. Dog hairs add character to the seat anyway. When the weather forecast looks contrary, say "screw it" and go anyway; just remember to clean and oil the 16 afterwards. Moments matter, especially to the ones you share them with. Never trust tomorrow. Tomorrow doesn't come with a guarantee.

[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54962_1000x667/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54963_1000x667/] [/URL]]

Last edited by WyoChukar on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

hayseed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:18 am  Reply with quote

It is truly a shame that it takes a tragedy sometimes to make us realize what you just said. I am guilty as well.

Only the Lord knows when our time will comes, contrary to our best made plans.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:19 am  Reply with quote

So sorry to hear of the loss of your best friend. I lost my best friend to a hunting/car accident on icy roads here in the Ozarks back when I was going through Navy flight training. Fortunately, we don't forget those good times we shared with our friends, and those memories will define that person forever for you. Wishing you the best.

Rex

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Sorry for the loss of your friend, but thanks for the reminder!

I was going to put off a turkey hunt next spring with my very best friend. I won't now!!

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Deepest condolences on the loss of your friend.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:27 am  Reply with quote

I have for the most part always lived my life planning on tomorrow, but never counting on its arrival. Even so, there is an amazing set of waterfalls above the spot we fished and I seldom go without fishing them. Jim's knee was hurting (the Iraq thing) and we didn't want to hike out over the rocks in the dark. He mentioned that he wished he would have seen the falls. I told him it was okay and we would get there next time. We both let our guard down and figured on having that chance again.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 am  Reply with quote

WYOChukar,

Sorry about your best friend, make every day count you never know if the Lord will give you tomorrow.

Great picture of you or him fly fishing a high mountain stream!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
P. Howard Clayton
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 am  Reply with quote

My condolences on your loss. Despite your youthful years, inferred from your junior year being 30 years in the past, you demonstrate a good understanding of life.
Plan for tomorrow, live for today, never part from a friend or family member without letting them know your appreciation for them and thank God for each day.
All too often, we never get a repeat opportunity.
Howard

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Yah you never know , headed deer hunting with one of my best friends this afternoon for the weekend . Your reminder will make this trip even more meaningful .

WyoChukar , my thoughts are with you .

Last edited by fn16ga on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, WyoChukar. Your words about tomorrow ring deeply true.

B.
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for the loss of your best friend very sad news our thoughts are with you WJ.
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Doesn't it seem that we get closer to friends we share outdoors pursuits with? Glad you two had that bond. So sorry for your loss

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

That's terrible news and nothing anyone can say will make it better. Sorry for your loss. Gil
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, WyoChukar. I know how you feel because I lost a dear friend and hunting and fishing buddy when we were in our early 40's. It hurts, but you'll always have the priceless memories.
Gran16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Your words about tomorrow couldn’t be more true, something I’m sure many of us take for granted.