16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet A5 cycling problem.
studdog
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 am  Reply with quote

I've had my New model sweet for over a year know and love the gun, Since day one mine occasionally fails to cycle light loads like Herters 1165's and RST A5 1200's. I thought it might get better with use but NADA. Any one have ideas how to fix. From reports here most people don't seem to have this problem.

This is not an issue when hunting with heavier loads but it's a pain in the butt with clay shooting. Thanks for any ideas. I have lubed the rails. George

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 am  Reply with quote

What specifically is it doing? Mine hasn't had any problems with factory Herters, but had a maybe 4 out of a box fail to feed the new round fully. This was a 1oz reload with Herters hulls at a chronoed avg 1185fps. Havent had the gun very long so not many rounds through it.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Same here with Herter's but it seems to be only certain batches of them. Some flats no problems. Others are a problem, at random.

Seeing how you lubed the rails I assume you read where others have had issues with the new A5's 12 ga. especially when they came out and Browning says run them dry with lube on the rails. Some claim the extractors were the issue and Browning replaced them. I have not read that for the 16's though and did break my extractor and had it replaced for free took Alhmans all of 15 minutes to do it. Did not solve the issue.

Dave Erickson let me shoot his straight stocked Sweet 16 this summer and it failed to eject several of my Herter's. Said that was the first time it had ever done that, pretty sure it is the shells and only certain lots of them.

Bought 4 flats of Federal 1 oz #8 at 1165 and it loves them, but my wallet does not. They never fail to eject. Been feeding a Federal first then a Herter's second that way if it fails to eject I don't have to shoot the pair over. Is a pain keeping things separate but it does work. Last couple of flats of Herter's seem to be OK and eject just fine.

An old trick for getting recoil operated guns to shoot light loads is to cut a quarter turn off the recoil spring at a time until it cycles. You have to be careful not to go too far or the bolt can slam into the back of the receiver hard enough to crack it. And you have to put the original spring back in when using hunting loads. I am thinking of ordering a second spring from MGW to do just that. I don't want to shoot 7/8 oz. loads out of it just want it to work 100% of the time with Herter's.

Like you also love the gun and grab it more times than not to shoot. I likely won't get around doing the spring mod until early next year with hunting season here and winter coming. But if you wanted to try it first..... Very Happy
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Be sure that your shot bushing is dropping an ounce of shot if not then ream a tad out of it until it does. or perhaps 29 grams will solve the problem.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Builder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:08 am  Reply with quote

The Herters seem to have a slightly smaller rim and extractors run right past without ejecting. I have had several guns that will not cycle with them, both pumps and semi-auto. Two Ithaca pumps left the hull untouched in the chamber.

My 20g. A5 finds the Herters a bit long and they get caught up in the ejector opening. My gun likes Federal shells at about a dollar more per box. It is the lightweight gun and not the new version.

grouser47
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

If you compare Herters to Remington and others you may find that the Herters have a smaller diameter lip to lip on the brass end. I found that they work better than factory as reloads when I put them thru a MEC Supersizer.

grouser47
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

If you compare Herters to Remington and others you may find that the Herters have a smaller diameter lip to lip on the brass end. I found that they work better than factory as reloads when I put them thru a MEC Supersizer.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

I think the shooter has a part in the cycling of the new A5. My son has had a few failures to eject when he shoots it. He is very loose on his mount the gun fires when it hits his cheek. Not a problem unless you are shooting an auto. My mount is slightly tighter and I have had no issues with the gun. He also has a Franchi Affinity recoil operated auto. He has issue with that one once and awhile also. I think his loose mount without a solid backstop has something to do with it. I could be all wet but that's my theory.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron's Herter's loads must have been an off batch because mine had never jammed until that day. It was killing me to watch it happen! That said, I bought mine for hunting and it will live on either snappy 1 oz loads like RGL's for grouse, or 1 1/8 oz like Fiocchi GP's for pheasants. Throw in a few Kent Bismuth for ducks. I'll stick to my break open guns for clay targets.
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a batch of Fiocchi 1 1/8 at under 1200 FPS and they work flawlessly. My old model sweet shoots everything just fine. I guess it is what it is.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:36 am  Reply with quote

I have had trouble with Herters in mine also . Had problems with them in a couple of Belgium A5s too . Even the 1 1/8oz load were an issue in the Belgium guns , never tried them in the New gun.

I bought them for the hulls so I wont be buying any more , I prefer to shoot my own loads .

Last edited by fn16ga on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Mine had never ever jammed even a 1 oz. Herter's, but almost every one of Cold Iron's batch of Herter's jammed, so to me it was clearly a bad batch of ammo. That day Cold Iron mentioned that that particular flat spent a MN winter in the garage, so perhaps that had some effect. Like I said, I bought my SW16 and other two A5's purely for hunting, so it's not a concern. None of them have ever jammed with good ammo. I've got a pretty big stash of the snappy 16 ga. RGL's, B&P's, and various 1 1/8 oz factory loads on tap for my SW16.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Dave , I think its the batch of Herters loads . Mine will cycle a 7/8oz 16gr Gd load with no problem . Also cycles some fast 3/4 GD loads also .
nid-28
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:41 am  Reply with quote

I use Herters 16's in break open guns only. They just don't work well in semi's or pump guns, esp. Ithaca 37's.

studdog
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone lubed the "action tube" in the buttstock of there new A5 sweet? I was reading the manual and it describes removing the action tube from the buttstock and adding a few drops of oil to the tube? Perhaps improved cycling???