16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Upland hunting boots
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:54 am  Reply with quote

These old Red Wings have stomped a lot of bird covers and still going strong...

When it's wet, it's Bean's Maine Guide Hunting Shoes, and in the snow it's Muck boots.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I've been thinking about trying a pair of Gumleaf Wellies with the side zip.
Anybody tried these?
Danner Pronghorns--well, waterproof, they are not, unless your idea of hunting involves manicured grounds. The first generation would become unraveled in the toe box from dragging thru the brush, the next gen has a plastic toe cap that is better, but they still wont keep your feet dry. I reserve mine for dry days.
I hunt grouse and pheasant in Ohio. Wv, Kansas, and the UP.

nwmac
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

I recently bought a pair of LL Bean Kangaroo upland boots on sale for $159. I have about two days on them and they fit well, are light, comfortable and seem to grip pretty well, waterproof too. An insulated version is also available. They are well constructed, not made in America, but other than Russell not sure if any are. I just checked and they are still on sale (last years model I believe) They still carry the same return policy. A big factor for me when buying on line. Well worth a look.
Ken
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

my favorite has been Rocky Outback. Light weight, uninsulated , Gore-Tex.
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

dilly wrote:
Glad to hear the above scraggly. I was in Wisconsin last week and broke away to drive up to Berlin and order a pair of Russell Moccasin boots myself. They were a “bucket list” item for me. I went with the prickly pear birdshooters with an extra 2” of height. I’m very excited to get them in 5 months.

I am interested in feedback from others who have Russells. I know not everyone is 100% happy...I hope I am.

I have been wearing Russells for 30 years and I still wear the first pair I purchased. I do have several pair but I also wear them probably 6 months a year.

They don’t have any arch support because they are of moccasin construction with a sole added on. That could be an issue for some folks, especially if you tend to suffer from plantar fasciitis. I had a cobbler glue in a pressure conforming arch and that helped me a lot. You can hunt 12 hours a day in them no problem.

If you want them to be waterproof for the uplands get the triple vamp construction, the double vamp will leak a little. The triple vamp will not leak, at least mine never have and I have walked across many a creek and mushy areas the last 30 years. Buy some Obenaufs from Russell when you get your boots. It really helps preserve the leather.

Good Hunting,
Mike
dilly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. The pair I ordered are triple vamp. I do suffer from plantar fasciitis on one foot. After speaking to Bill and reviewing my orthotics, I chose to go with a heavier black poron insert. Regarding Obenaufs, I use it now and have a couple cans. Great stuff regardless for any leather upland boots.

Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

dilly wrote:
Thanks Mike. The pair I ordered are triple vamp. I do suffer from plantar fasciitis on one foot. After speaking to Bill and reviewing my orthotics, I chose to go with a heavier black poron insert. Regarding Obenaufs, I use it now and have a couple cans. Great stuff regardless for any leather upland boots.

Does the poron have arch support? It used to just provide cushion. FYI, Russel will build a boot around an orthotic if you go up there and have them fitted.

Good Hunting,
Mike
duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas. Now I know I may never be able to decide because the choices are so varied. I have worn out Cabela's Kangaroos (Browning in drag), Red Wing, LL Bean and NB that have all been pretty good but not ideal. Also had very good luck in the past with Herman boots (until the company was sold). Pine Creek/Dave I did a search for LL Bean Grouse and came up empty. Russell looks good but may be outside the $ limit.

Thanks all and feel free to continue. I'll try to keep up.
--Doug

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
dilly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
dilly wrote:

Does the poron have arch support? It used to just provide cushion. FYI, Russel will build a boot around an orthotic if you go up there and have them fitted.

Good Hunting,
Mike

The poron is just cushion but the black one is thicker and forms better. They won’t build around orthotics anymore. They were firm on that.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have had a pair of boots from Georgia boot company that I bout twenty years ago that are still the best boots that I have ever had. I bought the insulated boots after an extremely cold turkey spring turkey season in Kansas when we were hunting in wet snow in April and they have been warm and comfortable even wading mountain streams on a bear hunt in New Mexico. They have stood up to all kinds of abuse from rocks and barbed wire.
i believe that i had bought them from a local boot store in St. Joseph, Mo back then.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
robp
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

oops

Last edited by robp on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
robp
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

oops again

Last edited by robp on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
robp
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by robp on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
robp
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have had good luck with danners. I had a pair of danner grouse boots for 5 season and replaced them with the same. I have a pair of danner trophies with insulation that have lasted a long time. Own a pair of rain-forests but they are heavy

I have also had good luck with redwing 10877s especially after replacing the soles with a vibram gum lite soles. I had 3 soles replaced on my first pair. The weak spot is the toes which I coated with shoe goo to protect them I got 7seasons on them but they are ready for the garbage.I am on a second pair

I take good care of my boots clean them with saddle soap treat them with snow seal or odbenaufs store them with shoe trees

Russell moccasin, what a pain in the but. I got measured at a pheasant fest by an employee twice,I wanted a pair of south 40s . It took 3 pairs and 3 years to finally get a pair that fit and to be honest they are a tinny bit short. Each pair took a year to build and the price went up each time. The first two pairs the stitching was all over the place the sole stuck out 1" on the front and back like cross county ski boots the craftsmanship was far from ideal and they were way to big and wide. I can go and buy a size 11 d in just about any brand of foot wear off the shelf and it fits great but a can't get a custom sized boot to fit go figure.
Finally the third pair arrived and got stolen off my porch because they don't bother to insure them or require a signature, what the hell its only a $600 item.I called them and inquired where my boots were they told me they got shipped and delivered a week ago. I told them I did not receive my boots. Russell's response tough luck we sent them they got delivered not our problem. Great customer service for a luxury item. They even admitted this happens a couple times a year.
I got lucky a lady found them a couple blocks away on the side of her house,box boots and everything and brought them back to me.
They fit pretty well and I'm happy. I have used them a couple weekends chasing sharp tails with max smoke I wish i would have ordered them with counters but I can live with them as they are.
TripleH
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 am  Reply with quote

https://www.rei.com/product/789686/lowa-renegade-gtx-mid-hiking-boots-mens

I picked up a couple pair of these this year after recommendations from family and a few friends, couldn't be happier so far.

right under 2 1/2 lbs for the pair, and they really lock the ankle and provide great support. I took them to Montana with me this year, and with very minimal break in period (walking a few laps around my kids soccer practice once or twice) put almost 70 miles on them over the course of the week. Didn't develop any hotspots and they held up fantastic.

They are also sold at several retailers (REI etc) so you can generally find a place to try a few on. $230 seems to be standard price, but if you keep an eye on the REI outlet and other online places throughout the year you will usually find them discounted here and there if you aren't picky about the color. I picked up my second pair for 160 or so.

I wore the Danner Grouse boot for several years prior to getting these. I loved the tread on them more than any other boot I've owned, they are tough as nails, and they kept my feet bone dry in all kinds of exposure. However they were a full pound heavier than the Lowa, and I wasn't "locked in" to the boot like I am with these.

I've got a touchy lower back and hip issues etc., and a long few days in the danners usually had me pretty busted up afterwards. When your foot/ankle moves inside the boot, even a fraction, multiplied by the number and type of steps taken, that all transfers up the ol' posterior chain and my hamstrings, hips, and back really took a beating.

My brother picked some Crispis up https://www.crispius.com/footwear/non-insulated-boots and is raving about them. Too rich for my blood considering the amount of time I am able to hunt each year, but might be worth a look for some.

Rob