16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Upland hunting boots
robp
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:52 am  Reply with quote

If I had not been dealing with Russels I would have picked up a pair of crispuis
maybe in a couple years
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am  Reply with quote

My Russell Moccasin Grand Slam SheepHunters are ~15 years old now. 2" taller, triple vamp, extra leather toe cap because that is what always wear out in my boots first especially pheasant hunting in SD. But I hunt grouse in Mn. more. In addition to treating them with HDLP I feel the most important part is keeping the pores clean, in fact any boot including Gore tex. As recommended by RM I have always used Fiebings 100% Glycerine Saddle Soap and let them dry naturally in a well vented area before treating with HDLP.

The Meindel Perfekt hikers and hunters here were the result of finding replacements for my Danners that seemed to always leak.

Once the Meindel boots wore out a couple of years ago I discovered Crispi boots. My feet are messed up, well actually my whole body seems to be going down hill fast. The Crispi boots are the best boots I have ever worn. Ever. The Ankle Bone Support System works, I mean really works. As does all the other aspects of the boot. Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine has built me a custom pair of orthotics that help. And a cortisone shot in the ankle before hunting season helps also. But the Crispi boots are the biggest help.

2 years ago started with the Hunter GTX and then got the Guide GTX.

Over the last year have picked up the Crispi Idaho and Nevada. Crispi boots are the only thing I wear on my feet anymore. Well except for work and if the dress code didn't say we can't wear hiking boots I'd wear them with a suit. So work from home most days. Been a couple of years since I have worn the Sheep Hunters once I discovered Crispi. Guess got my moneys worth out of them after 15 years, but only wore them hunting so not sure.
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

WOW, 16ga and boot passion on one site... Very Happy

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
mtbirder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

I own two 16 gauges, with which I use for hunting birds.
I'm confident that the two I own would fit some on this site, but many other's probably wouldn't be comfortable hunting with these specific two tools.
I own about six different pairs of boots which I use for hunting, also.
I'd venture to guess that the comfort and utility of these boots to others on this site would vary about six times more than the same qualities regarding the shotguns.
What's the best bird hunting toilet paper? I prefer minimal pilling.......
Very Happy
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder, non-pilling is important. But are you wanting upland TP or marshland TP???

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
mtbirder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I do not hunt waterfowl, so given a choice - upland.
If you're talking camo - I detest camo, so it would be good old fashioned bleached white.
Although here in yuppy hunter, SW montana I'm quite sure the pattern of choice would be Sitka......................
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Brewster, go get a container of Boot Guard.

Ordered, thanks.

B.
mtjim
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:28 am  Reply with quote

Anybody tried out the Danner Sharptail boots - They look good to me.

https://www.danner.com/upland/sharptail-4-5-dark-brown.html
slowpokebill
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I want to give another nod to Filson's Upland Boots. I've had a pair since the 1990s. They have been resoled twice. The tongue gussets are finally wearing through as is the surface finish on the toes.

When the current souls wear out I will replace them with another pair which I expect to last me the rest of my life.
slowpokebill
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I want to give another nod to Filson's Upland Boots. I've had a pair since the 1990s. They have been resoled twice. The tongue gussets are finally wearing through as is the surface finish on the toes.

When the current soles wear out I will replace them with another pair which I expect to last me the rest of my life.
jaksny
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:10 am  Reply with quote

I was poking around at the idea of Filson Uplanders before this thread, you fellas convinced me to bite the bullet. I love the rest of my Filson gear, hopefully these boots are just as good!

More fly rods than a guy should have.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I was in the same boat confused and torn between boots and brands. I took the advice and ordered a pair of Crispi's. I was leaning that way but this thread gave me the push I needed.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

Filson doesn't make boots, never have. They outsource boot production. In the beginning and for a long time the Filson Uplander was made by Weinbrenner Shoe Company of Merrill, WI. Same company that made the Original Gary Borger Wading boot. Still have my pair of original Borger wading boots and they still work. Weinbrenner makes some great stuff.

About 10 years ago Filson moved boot production to the Dominican Republic and a lot of other things overseas to the Pacific Rim. Charged the same price and the quality went down, way down. They caught enough heat that they moved production back Stateside a few years ago.

Rumor has it that the new Filson Uplander is made by a small company in Pa. Don't know why it has to be a secret but haven't heard for sure who it is. They have a rather large line of "collaboration" clothing and gear now aimed at the lumbersexual crowd. Some of their boots are made by White's and Danner and then they stamp Filson on it and upcharge for them. Not sure why the Uplander manufacture has to be kept a secret.
NY16ga
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

+1 on Lowas. I wore a pair of Renegades pretty hard for at least four or five years and have totally abused a pair of Rangers that are going on their fifth year. I use them for everything upland and for moderately rocky, steep places. I'm a fan. In the winter I've been wearing Schnees Hunter pac boots, which are great but seriously warm!
NY16ga
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

+1 on Lowas. I wore a pair of Renegades pretty hard for at least four or five years and have totally abused a pair of Rangers that are going on their fifth year. I use them for everything upland and for moderately rocky, steep places. I'm a fan. In the winter I've been wearing Schnees Hunter pac boots, which are great but seriously warm!