16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Upland hunting boots
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I still own a couple pair of Browning Green Kangaroo Grouse Boots that have been resoled at least 3 times. The same with my Russells and LL Bean's. The tread on the other type boots wears out way to fast here in our Pa mountains while Grouse hunting, if you can't resole the boots, I do not purchase them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Cheesy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Filson doesn't make boots, never have. They outsource boot production. In the beginning and for a long time the Filson Uplander was made by Weinbrenner Shoe Company of Merrill, WI. Same company that made the Original Gary Borger Wading boot. Still have my pair of original Borger wading boots and they still work. Weinbrenner makes some great stuff.

Not upland boots, but Weinbrenner makes Thorogood Workboots. To my foot, there is not a better daily wear workbook. I’m partial to the Moc toe wedge sole 8”. To be honest, if it’s dry out, I’ll wear them on my 10+ mile days chasing wild pheasants.
jaksny
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

I just received my first pair of Filson Uplanders today. I had been looking at them for a while and this thread pretty much pushed me over the edge. They are incredibly comfortable right out of the box, although you can tell it will take a good bit of walking to break them in fully. I've got Danner Acadias on my feet right now, and they're very comfortable (fully broken in for a long time now), but they're not as comfortable as the Uplanders. The Uplanders also appear to be of higher quality than the Danners, but that's my non-cobbler opinion. Anyway, I highly recommend these boots from my first impression, if anything changes I'll be sure to update.

More fly rods than a guy should have.
hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Late to the party, but I totally agree with Wyochukar. I use Salomon boots exclusively 4 seasons. The athletic fit is super comfy, light, and with little to no break in time. I wear one of their winter boots for cold days and one of their mid-top hikers for everything else. I will never buy a traditional leather hunting boot again.
studdog
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Russel 7 inch uninsulated and Bean BOA upland boot. Covers almost every condition this old fart hunts in.

steveus
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I've had a pair of Russell Double Moccasin Bottom Double Vamp Bird Shooters for about 8 years now, and have resoled twice. Last time I told Ralph Fabricus (owner) to put the longest lasting soles on them they had, although I knew they would be a little
heavier, and they have not worn at all, I think they may last for the life of the boots. I will buy other Russells. Need to order some more Obendorf's LP Preservative from them now.

nwmac
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Just got back from four days of upland bird hunting in north Montana. My new LL Bean upland boots were comfortable, water proof and warm. I was in sub-freezing weather for two days, covered steep rocky ground as well as flat land, walked 9-10 miles each day. Very satisfied. Highly recommend them.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 am  Reply with quote

The past few days I have tried a new set of North Face boots. Thermoball Lifty 400. I must say that the company has let me down in a major way. The outer edge of the soles are cut up after less than ten miles of hiking through rocky canyons. I will be contacting the company. Our local store told me that North Face just reorganized and hired 7 new designers. The new folks don't seem to know what the hardcore outdoor crowd needs in terms of footwear. What a shame.

Their old Arctic Hedgehog boot was probably the best chukar hunter's boot ever made. It looks like I will be buying Salomons and nothing else now. I have considered Lowa, but the price tag is staggering so unless they can absolutely last four seasons and grip snow covered rock like the old Arctic Hedghogs do, I can't see going that route. Some of the Lowas seem heavy too, but no all of them.

I am pretty unforgiving in my expectations in a hunting boot. Most so called hunting boots have soles that would eventually get me killed in snow covered canyons. Falling all day sucks the fun right out of chukar hunting. I will report back when I get my hands on a set of Salomon X Ultra Winter CS WP2. Today I will be wearing the boot that these have replaced. So far they have been grippy, supportive, and super light. The difference in fatigue at day's end compared to the traditional style boots I used to wear can't be overstated.