16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sandhill Cranes
dragoonpoint
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:13 am  Reply with quote

Today several hundred Sandhill Cranes flew over while I was feeding horses. They reawakened my desire to hunt them. I live east of Denver Co. The Cranes rarely stop here. I'm looking for a good outfitter/guide in the Oklahoma,Texas panhandle area. I am open to other areas if not too much further away.
I prefer to hunt in smaller groups 4 to 5 shooters. If anyone knows of a good guide/outfitter and you have contact info please let me know. Thanks
dogon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I live in the Denver area as well. I've hunted Sandhill's the last two years, both here in Colorado & Oklahoma.

I've used an outfitter which hunts them in SE Colorado near Lamar & an outfitter based close to Blackwell Oklahoma. My impression is that it's well worth the extra time & money to go to Oklahoma. The outfit there has a lot more experience hunting them, uses stuffer decoys & has much a better hunting area overall close to a major staging area that holds thousands of birds. Because of this your odds of success is dramatically higher. The Colorado hunts have been hit and miss dependent on birds migrating through. Over two years in Colorado I've hunted five days and only saw birds on two of those days. I saw more cranes in an hour in Ok than I saw in five days in Co.

The outfitter I can recommend in Oklahoma is Crane Wreckers. Look them up on the web and search YouTube for the many videos they have there. The head guide Bryan Baker knows what he is doing and is a fun guy to spend time with.

http://www.cranewreckers.com/

If your planning a trip for this year, you need to get on the ball and book it, the cranes are migrating and the season window is short.
PIOBill
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

We hunt with Sea to Sky Outfitters in Hale Center Texas. Never more than 7 hunters per group. We have had such good luck that we have 2 hunts 2 days in a row booked this year just to get everyone in that wanted to go.

PIOBill
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

We hunt with Sea to Sky Outfitters in Hale Center Texas. Never more than 7 hunters per group. We have had such good luck that we have 2 hunts 2 days in a row booked this year just to get everyone in that wanted to go.

PIOBill
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 pm  Reply with quote