16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New 16ga steel reloading data from Precision, tuwsbl1627
scraggley
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:09 am  Reply with quote

Still wondering: I do not believe that Remington or Winchester hulls would be available in unfired condition for Precision Reloading to use in testing.

Art

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 am  Reply with quote

scraggley wrote:
Just wondering: Can it be assumed that Precision Reloading used new unfired hulls to arrive at the results published ?

Art

I'd assume that their data is way off, either that or Alliant and everybody else that publish load data is way off, personally I'd go with number one.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:00 am  Reply with quote

If Precision Reloading did it right they would have used once fired hulls for the data. You are not supposed to use new hulls to develop reloading data.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Mark , is there any real diff you know of from Precision now to when you were with them in Conn !?? I assume all their testing is with reg equip and Hodgdon claims theirs are all tested also . Every once in a while , there seems to be a flyer . I do believe what I see from them , but every so often !!

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:54 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

I really can't tell you what the differences might be. Here is the way we developed loads when Precision was in CT.

Always once fired hulls. The load had to fit properly. No powder migration allowed. Transducers were calibrated as per the manufacturers recommendations. Transducer and cable were kept at 150 degrees F for 24 hours before each test. All ammunition/components were kept at 65 to 75 degrees F, all the time. SAAMI reference ammunition of the proper load for the test were used, along with an in-house reference load. The results of the in-house load was shared with Tom Armbrust and vice-versa as a running secondary check. For the 10, 12 and 16 Ga. the crimp depth was 0.062". Minimum test sample was 10 rounds. All data was kept regardless if it was a successful or unsuccessful load.

There were some other standards, but the above were the important ones.

As far as I know, the test hardware barrels, receiver etc are the same, but I believe that the electronics are new(and should be).

I do not know what Precision Reloading now uses as in-house standards and procedures.

In any ballistic testing there will be results that do not make sense. That's why SAAMI standards involve testing every load and not try to extrapolate the outcome.