16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Stuck between bird seasons-so I built a split cane fly rod
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Great job Gil! I got lucky and found a long time builder in Boulder City who took me under his wing and taught me hands on. I've made around 25+ so far and have 2 more on the bench as I type this. It gets under your skin.

Try and find a copy of "The Lovely Reed" by Jack Howell. Great tutorials and many excellent tapers to be had. I'm assuming you're a member of the Classis Fly Rod Forum? Tons of great information at that site.

Build on!

Matt
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Great job Gil! I got lucky and found a long time builder in Boulder City who took me under his wing and taught me hands on. I've made around 25+ so far and have 2 more on the bench as I type this. It gets under your skin.

Try and find a copy of "The Lovely Reed" by Jack Howell. Great tutorials and many excellent tapers to be had. I'm assuming you're a member of the Classis Fly Rod Forum? Tons of great information at that site.

Build on!

Matt
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Lovely-Reed-An-Enthusiasts-Guide-to-Building-Bamboo-Fly-Rods-SIGNED-NEW/323431256661?epid=1603995963&hash=item4b4e015255:g:sC4AAOSwX9FZNZSg:rk:2:pf:0

Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt, Mike. I've had Jack's book since its publication date. I have the usual suspects. Very Happy
I'm building a saltwater rod, a 3/2 8 wgt. Cane is split, nodes staggered, cut to length. I straighten and flatten the nodes over the next few days and rough bevel later this week. A buddy and I built a Baginski beveler ( I supplied motor and shop vac) Floyd did the rest. Will build hot air gun oven for tempering soon. Gil
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Gil S,

Have fun building your Bamboo rods, haven't talked to Hogie for a long time now. He may have passed away. Thanks for the PM and I still Fly fish with many of my fantastic Bamboo Fly Rods, especially my 7', 3 WGT F.E. Thomas. The perfect rod for here in Potter County, Pa and our freestone streams. I also have a J.D. Wagner 2 WGT that I use on a regular basis in the smaller streams.

Life is great when you Fly Fish and Grouse hunt here in our Pa mountains.

All the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Dave, I've bought tools from J.D. Wagner and noticed his rods. Beautiful. Can't imagine making a 2 weight with the size of the tip strips--mere wisps of cane towards the tip. Gil
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Gil S,

I love my little J.D. Wagner Rod, for a modern rod builder he is seriously talented.
My 3 WGT F.E. Thomas is still the better rod, I prefer slow action Bamboo Rods that can throw big Parachute Drakes without making a mess of the 6X leader. The Wagner rod is a might stiffer and is better for casting smaller flies on tighter streams, love them both big time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Potter County, Pa we call it God's Country cause it is! Native Brookies, Wild Brownies and Rainbows all in Pine Creek.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55445_800x600/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55444_800x600/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55447_800x600/] [/URL]

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Well done!

You were quite correct when you noted upthread, using that 7'9" (5 weight?) cane rod is the equivalent of using the 100 y/o short-chambered 16 ga sxs for upland. If it's a Garrison 209E taper, that's pretty much the paradigm of an all-round trout rod (at least in Garrison's idiom). Good choice.

As you will find out when you take the new rod out to use, it is like the 16ga sxs in another way: fishing cane makes you irresistably attractive to beautiful women, and stamps you as The Source of The Truth About Fish and Fishing to all other anglers. Cool I won't say you'll never go back to plastic, but you'll miss the cane and the perks when you do.

Forewarned is forearmed. Very Happy

I prefer a several cane rods, depending on the application: a 7' 4 wt reproduction of a Garrison 202E built by Art Weiler for spring-creek situations, a 1938 Payne 9 foot 3/2 that nicely handles a 5 wt for longer-range work, and an old 9 foot 6 wt Heddon-made trade rod I rebuilt >20 yr ago for all-round use. Reels - a Peerless 1.5 for the Garrison, a Pflueger Medalist 1494 1/2 balances the Payne nicely, and a Hardy knockoff on the Heddon.

I have a good half-dozen project rods all waiting work, mostly resetting ferrules, rewrapping and revarnishing. I also have waiting for me one of Dennis Stone's ferruled blanks, which he built for me this summer - a 6' 3/2 built to the Leonard Hunt taper, such that it'll fit in a suitcase with ease.

Worth adding The Classic Fly Rod Forum to your bookmarks, too. Useful, friendly site.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

Dave in ME,

Agree 100% add the Classic Fly Rod Forum to your Favorites list and participate!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith/F.E. Thomas Man