16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Wee Jeff!
last dollar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Kansas Pheasant season is almost upon us! I pulled the "Wee Jeff" out and we are ready to go. First year in a longtime I havnt had my Brittany "Flash" as a partner. Sad feeling. We seem to have lots of Pheasants but still a lot of standing crops to provide unhuntable cover. Season will get better as time passes. I am seeing a lot of Prairie Chickens, welcome sight, as for a few years we saw none. Looking forward to Saturday!
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Great
Hunt well and take care of your aging body!!!
Missed seeing you this year at Raton
Mike

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 am  Reply with quote

last dollar wrote:
Kansas Pheasant season is almost upon us! I pulled the "Wee Jeff" out and we are ready to go. First year in a longtime I havnt had my Brittany "Flash" as a partner. Sad feeling. We seem to have lots of Pheasants but still a lot of standing crops to provide unhuntable cover. Season will get better as time passes. I am seeing a lot of Prairie Chickens, welcome sight, as for a few years we saw none. Looking forward to Saturday!

Good to hear your able to go hunting, I can't, sad state of affairs. Knock a few for me LD!

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
last dollar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Dale, I'll do my best! I blew through Cheyenne on my way back from the annual elk hunt with my boys. Should have called you. I am 84 years young this year, and still trukin! Hang in there,partner! God Bless
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Leave a few for seed LD!

Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

I remember when you bought the "wee jeff" 16. SKB had it for sale at an unusually low price ("too good to be true?) and there was speculation that it was a bogus sale because he wouldn't respond to inquiries on GB. Turns out he was out of contact because of a trip. His asking was $750 for a 16 ga. W.J. Jeffrey. He could have sold it a hundred times.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

That was/is the best buy I ever made! SKB was over at my place hunting and by overfeeding him and showing him a lot of Birds, I got an even better deal!! Three Roosters before noon on Saturday ,when weather drove us back home. That gun wont change hands again until my passing...
Cheesy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Was Saturday not the most miserable confitions to hunt in? I can handle cold. I hate wind with a passion. Sunday was better, even though I only got a couple quail. At least the wind wasn’t brutal.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Was Saturday not the most miserable confitions to hunt in? I can handle cold. I hate wind with a passion. Sunday was better, even though I only got a couple quail. At least the wind wasn’t brutal.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Sunday here was just as bad, after about 10 in the morning sloppy wet snow..We quit at 11. Too many crops still up..Corn and Milo ...We bumped a LOT of birds Saturday morning...Couple more weeks with a lil sunshine and it will be super...We had very few hunters in the area.....Stay well all...
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Sunday here was just as bad, after about 10 in the morning sloppy wet snow..We quit at 11. Too many crops still up..Corn and Milo ...We bumped a LOT of birds Saturday morning...Couple more weeks with a lil sunshine and it will be super...We had very few hunters in the area.....Stay well all...
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
I remember when you bought the "wee jeff" 16. SKB had it for sale at an unusually low price ("too good to be true?) and there was speculation that it was a bogus sale because he wouldn't respond to inquiries on GB. Turns out he was out of contact because of a trip. His asking was $750 for a 16 ga. W.J. Jeffrey. He could have sold it a hundred times.

Today, maybe. But the part you've forgotten/omitted is that the seller disclosed there was pitting in the barrels but with no objective measurement or statement of "how much", "where" or other details about the pitting and no responses to inquiries on GB. I held off bidding on that gun having recently at that time had a bad experience buying a gun with pitted barrels that had to go back. I might kick myself today for passing on that sale, but at the time I thought it a prudent course. Therefore today I have to stand by my decision at that time that it was prudent not to bid, not least b/c my gun budget is always limited. As I recall it, a couple other potential bidders held off for similar reasons.

I'm glad for LD that it worked out for him and that the gun was "better" than advertised (or than the advertising said). But, as one should keep in mind when it comes to sxs: "Buy the barrels".

All that said, go whack some pheasants, LD. Glad to see you're getting out.

last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Well, there was/is NO pitting IN the barrels...some light pitting ON the barrels at the breech end....It shows use and so should, as it was meant to be used....and will be almost daily...One more rooster out a field corner today on the way back from Walmart.....Sorry you missed out... Crying or Very sad