16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Franchi Instinct
Trail
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

I've been looking at the Franchi Instinct 16 ga. My biggest concern is that it's TOO light.... 5.8 lb. Especially when working with pheasant loads. Does anyone out there own one or have you actually shot one?

I'd appreciate any input....thank you.

Trail.
Ptm
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I have one and shot some clays and took it out for a day of sharp tails. For as light as it is it doesn’t seem whippy to me. I really like it but as pointed out it is outsourced by FAIR Rizzini. If you want a non alloy version you should be able to get one in the Model 600 I think. I think it would weigh about 6.4 to 6.6 pounds. You can check all the FAIR models out on the Italian Firearms Group website which will have dealer contact info for your area.
A lot of guys seem to utilize Quality Arms in Houston. John seems to be the FAIR afficianado in the US. The FAIR Rep I’ve been dealing with on a ISIDE wants me to use a local shop which I’m ok with. In my opinion the FAIR guns are a great value and I would put them just below Browning or Beretta. Hope this helps.
The gun is light and my intended use is for Sharpies, Huns, and early season Pheasant. For late season I need a little heavier gun as the shots are longer and my reflexes are slower these days.

Thanks

Patrick
Ken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have one and so far I am very happy with it. I shot almost a box of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant, half a box of Remy game load chasing pheasants and woodcocks. Never noticed any recoil. So far my only complaint is I would prefer 26" barrels and extended choke tubes.

My poor 20ga wont be getting much use anymore.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Yep--light but not likely to shoot enough shells while hunting to make much difference---NOT an all days clays gun
Little Creek
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

You might want to stick with one ounce loads in that Franchi Instinct. Sixteen gauges were originally set up for one ounce loads anyway. We've killed plenty of birds with a ounce of shot.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:30 am  Reply with quote

This is a small thing, but I passed on the Instinct SL 16ga when I was looking at them a while back. I looked at maybe 5 of them--four at Scheel's, and one at a LGS.

If you look closely at the bottom chamber, where the rim of the shell fits in at the very bottom of the bottom barrel, whatever that spot is called that holds the bottom she'll is either razor, razor thin or not complete. It looks like the block of metal that they milled it out of was just a hair to small. I do not believe that it would affect functionality, but I'm not a gunsmith. It also made me wonder about quality control, and why they'd send a shotgun out like that. Maybe that's a common occurrence on other shotguns, but I don't ever remember seeing it.

To disclose fully, they bigger reason that I didn't buy one was that they didn't to seem to fit ME just right. That's not the gun's fault.

8mmFan