16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Straight stocks and Arthritis?
last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:34 am  Reply with quote

The wrist on my Wee Jeff is very slim, in the British manner. I have found this year that due to Arthritis, I am not able to grip it tight enough to keep from getting my knuckles banged on recoil. I am sure that affects my second shot accuracy as well. What to do?
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:30 am  Reply with quote

are your hands being hit by the back of the trigger guard? If so there are pads for that but I have found it caused by a short stock. I also have used Mole Skin around the wrist.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:48 am  Reply with quote

A nice pair of shooting gloves might help too.
last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Woildnt be a short stock. It has been a killing machine for years. FITS...I will try some sticky gloves, problem is not being able to close my right hand all the way....One of my Lefevers is fatter in the wrist w a Pistol grip that I may switch to for a bit to see if that helps....Feels like a betrayal to leave the Jeff home....I Hunt every day the roads are good enough to get out, so can experiment...At 85, don't want to miss ANY days...No "Do overs" on time..
Builder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

A few wraps of vet tape should do it.

last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

What would that do to the finish?
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

I put these on my middle finger, they work GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Silicone-Sleeves-Bunions-Hammer/dp/B07B6X5XZT/ref=asc_df_B07B6X5XZT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242014118806&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14705933535294285868&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028456&hvtargid=pla-438145668238&psc=1

Builder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

It will not affect the finish. I have it on stocks to hole a riser in place for years with no effect. They are used to wrap the legs on horses. It is available on the internet and is relatively inexpensive. It comes in many colors but black and brown seems the most appropriate.

last dollar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:27 am  Reply with quote

I still have a couple of horses,so understand the wrap! Our show color was PURPLE and I could not bear to use it on the Jeff. So I switched guns to (HORRORS) a CZ Semi-auto 12 bore with a 20" bbl and a BLACK fat PG stock. Gun was purchased for the Zombie war...Yesterday first time out, I went 4 for 4 ...2 doubles....Sad to admit it...Penance will be served....
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:41 am  Reply with quote

The horror!
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I've got a whole stable full of the 16 ga guns you need, POW stocks or open pistol grip and single triggers that don't bite back. Some were custom ordered, but three readily available on the used market factory guns are:

CZ Ringneck; 28" barrels, POW stock, fixed IC/Mod, extractors, single selective trigger. Downside of these guns is the 7+ pound weight.

Tri-Star Brittany by Zabala, not the later South American guns; POW stock, 27.5" barrels, screw in chokes, ejectors, single selective trigger. Weighs 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 pounds.

BSA Classic by Zabala; POW Stock, 26" barrels, fixed IC/Mod chokes, ejectors, single selective trigger. 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 pounds, a little nicer stock and inertia rather than mechanical trigger of the Brittany.

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 am  Reply with quote

I hated my CZ Ringneck because of the 12+ pound trigger from the factory. A friend bought one and his was just as bad. Both of these went to a gun smith that we use and had trigger jobs done. Ended up better but no where near as nice as the new trigger design and springs on the Sharptail model that replaced the Ringneck.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
I hated my CZ Ringneck because of the 12+ pound trigger from the factory. A friend bought one and his was just as bad. Both of these went to a gun smith that we use and had trigger jobs done. Ended up better but no where near as nice as the new trigger design and springs on the Sharptail model that replaced the Ringneck.

Bob

I generally treat my CZ SXS's like semi-finished kit guns. The basic design is a robust traditional Anson and Deeley design box lock with chrome plated bores and steel approved chokes, but lacking the hand fitting of other, higher priced guns. I just automatically go inside and smooth/polish all the innard's contact points and work the triggers to a smooth 4 to 5 pounds. Now, if only I could get about a half pound off them without screwing up the balance, they would be great guns. My 28 ga DeHaan Huglu at just under 6 pounds is an all around great gun.

last dollar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Lotsa answers to questions I didn't ask, but thanks anyhow...I sold or gave away over the past few years 30+ Double guns with 8 or 10 16's in the batch....Buying no more guns, thank you...Gonna stick with the zombie slayer and one of Uncle Dans that seems to work....
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 am  Reply with quote

I have a minor issue with carpel tunnel syndrome and after carrying my shotgun in sort of a vertical one-hand way (which I do a lot) I start to numb up a bit. Hasn't affected my shooting so much, but it's not great either. I get it running my outboard and it's really bad if I dig with a shovel.