16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Prairie Chicken Recipe
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Last dollar, I normally give them to a neighbor/landowner who loves them, but this year he was away......sooooooooo. Of course I love woodcock breast. I am thinking I will like it well enough.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

LD, I think the intense flavor of the chickens and sharptails can to stand up to the heavier sauces and marinades you might use for beef. For the recipe I posted there is a somewhat small range of perfect cooking time determined by trial and error, I found it by the rebound when pressed downward in the pan. It's in the range of "rare" that works for me. A better source of herbed, round-loaf sourdough bread toasted a little less in the skillet and kept warm in the oven on its lowest setting was another small detail that make that one a favorite. However, if the meat is overcooked it's a much-diminished meal.

last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 am  Reply with quote

I certainly agree with the rare side cooking on game....My Mallards are done blood red rare...Overcooking is what ruins most game.....
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:26 am  Reply with quote

If you watch a real chef, most of the time they will cook hot and fast to seal in the moisture and flavors. I have never had a meal of any type of game meat that was cooked any other way that had nice flavor.

robp
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

I skin and breast out my birds so I'm talking about breasts here

Follow a steak dianne recipe swapping out the beef for the p.chicken- lots of them in cooking books or on the internet

simpler yet
olive oil,salt, pepper, dash of worchester sauce and some chopped up fresh rosemary
mix that in a bowl throw in bird parts and coat let that sit for 6 to 24 hours
wrap in bacon and grill or just grill that straight up with out bacon
I have made both dishes for people whom say they hate wild game now they are converted
btw both work great with sharptails
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 am  Reply with quote

KGB? I cant even imagine those kinds of sauces on good grass fed beef? How could you taste the beef? Anyhow, I am going back up on the sand, Tuesday or Wed to take another deer. (long drive-30 minutes),and while I am up there will kill a couple of chickens. Then, I will try a couple of these recipes and let you know the opinions. I will be one of the testers, and a fussy female person the other...Film at 10...
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am  Reply with quote

LMAO!!!

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 am  Reply with quote

last dollar wrote:
KGB? I cant even imagine those kinds of sauces on good grass fed beef? How could you taste the beef? Anyhow, I am going back up on the sand, Tuesday or Wed to take another deer. (long drive-30 minutes),and while I am up there will kill a couple of chickens. Then, I will try a couple of these recipes and let you know the opinions. I will be one of the testers, and a fussy female person the other...Film at 10...

In my defense my parents had a fondue pot as I was growing up. Boiling oil, and thumb-sized chunks of beef on a color-coded skewer dipped into a variety of overpowering concoctions! I may have been ruint regarding the finer points of what cattle are eating up to their trip through the slaughterhouse.

I don't think that sharptail recipe will disappoint, I will be awaiting the opinionation.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

KGB -- I have that cookbook from which you copied the picture and recipe for Sharptails on toast. I've made that many times over the years and can vouch for it. Guests loved it. I can also vouch for RobP's steak diane adaptation for sharptails, as he made it for me the first time I had it, and I now use his recipe. It is my favorite. The recipe is not too critical; just make sure to use dijon mustard, and sufficient shallots and butter -- the magical ingredients. I de-glaze the pan with brandy and flame it off -- fire is fun -- unless you live in California, I guess. It's about the only way I have been cooking sharptails over the last couple of years. I made two birds that way for Thanksgiving dinner with friends from NYC a week or so ago, plus a pheasant en creme. It was all a big hit. My guests had never had wild game before, and loved it.

I also cook sharptails using a regular old coq au vin recipe. This is a braising type of method, moist, with low heat and a long cooking time -- a humble country recipe intended to break down tough old barnyard roosters. Works well with old pheasants, too, but even better with sharptails -- more tasty, and a good way to cook the leg/thigh assembly's, so the meat almost falls off the many needle-like little leg bone/tendons. By the way, in my experience, coq au vin does not work so well in a crockpot. It seems to dry the meat out and cook the body out of the vegetables and muddle the flavors. Do coq au vin on the range top burners, and use a chicken fryer pan or a cast iron pan with a close fitting lid, one of those enameled ones is best.

Serve grouse with some sweet potatoes mashed with some butter and seasoned to taste with diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (a smoky flavored concoction -- comes in a jar at the supermarket -- take out the seeds before chopping if the peppers are whole), and some kind of green vegetable or green salad. Looks nice; tastes great.

Cheers!
Tony
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Tony, have you prepared the stewed partridge/sage dumplings recipe from the book? I made it with Huns the first time and thought Ruffled Grouses would be prime that way---and they are!

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

No I haven't KGB . . . and it sounds like I am unfortunate not to have done so! Maybe I'd better give it a try. Thanks.
last dollar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Progress report! Bird one has been collected! Not a single pellet in it! Shot its head off with my .270....
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

last dollar wrote:
I certainly agree with the rare side cooking on game....My Mallards are done blood red rare...Overcooking is what ruins most game.....

+1

Seared marinated duck breasts with the skin on, rare, left to sit for a bit when done, then sliced like a steak, delicious. That's about the only way I like them though. Baking in the oven, even though pretty to look at, just dries them out and makes the meat grey and gamey.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
last dollar wrote:

+1

Seared marinated duck breasts with the skin on, rare, left to sit for a bit when done, then sliced like a steak, delicious. That's about the only way I like them though. Baking in the oven, even though pretty to look at, just dries them out and makes the meat grey and gamey.

+2
Take a look at The Great Duck Misunderstanding by Russell Chatham on what should be fed to people who insist on overcooked game. Here's a quote from Steve Bodio's blog on cooking game:
I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol."

Oven cooked ducks, woodcock, et al. are fine as long as cooked at 500 F for a short period, depending on size, and pulled out of the oven rare to medium rare. See Chatham's above short story on how to do it. It's a hilarious and bawdy account. Gil
goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

I have no knowledge regarding parasites in rare cooked bird meat. Any worry?