16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shotgun World
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:05 am  Reply with quote

I still monitor a few of the topics on SGW, but my major interaction is with the guys over on the Huglu forum. There are a bunch of guys on there who don't have inflated egos and it is probably the friendliest forum on there. We get together every year for group hunts in January and February where those of us who own dogs act as guides for the other hunters and have a great time. I've never had one of those guys take a shot over the dogs I would consider unsafe, in fact often they will pass on a shot I would have taken. We'll be doing our MLK weekend pheasant hunt at 4-B's Hunting Preserve in Missouri and in February we'll get together in Alabama for bobwhite in the piney woods on Alger Flats preserve. The moderator, Curley, lets us do a lot of off topic posting simply because it is all respectful and good natured. We've had a few Turkish gun haters come on there to bash Huglus, but once they realize the group on there is probably as diverse in gun ownership as any group on there, and readily admit to the shortcomings and virtues of the Huglu brand, they go away. I could readily do without the majority of the SGW site, but the Huglu forum gets it right.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

My main interest over there is the Ithaca Forum. Good bunch with a lot of knowledge. Gunsmith and restoration forum folks are good too. A lot of the other forums have a lot of people that can be shall we say A LITTLE TESTY! Laughing Rolling Eyes
bobski
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

the issue is...over the years the vast majority of gun nuts posting has sorta hit a plateau. seems the same guys have filled most of the websites. some are honest and use the same name and some post incognito with different handles. doesn't take long for many to recognize who is who though.
point is...you can only talk about something before it begins to loop back for the new posters. this causes boredom and bar brawls kick in to livin' up the forum.
and ive seen a few in my day indeed.
most websites use to be owned and run by gun enthusiasts. the trend now seems to be a monopolistic approach to larger advertising groups, buying up websites to saturate audiences with endless spam ads.
the most annoying are the ones injected into actual forum threads. I first saw this on sgw and it wasnt impressed. now...the vast majority do it. this one hasn't because its a dinosaur and its on its last legs, being kept afloat by dedicated old school gun lovers of 16ga guns. kudos...btw.
but if you read the fine print on most of the gun sites out there, youll see the majority are owned and operated by international companies...mainly Canada.
(must be a tax shelter thing)
mods are left to create their own rules, owners of these sites have no desire to govern their sites. they just want your clicks and hits.
and most don't take kindly to private citizens advertising and use an iron fist to control it...giving top priority to their paying vendors and retail companies.
times have changed. use to be a time when privates enjoyed free internet sales and trades, and could avoid retail prices. its slowly going away and in my opinion....gun forums are on the downside slope of being interesting or fresh. sgw is one of those. the website itself is dated, most likely because they know what I know. its a dry hole to put money into.
16ga is one of the last solid sites. a few more are out there, but unfortunately for me, many are for guns im not interested in.
the number of true educated posters willing to share resources and knowledge is waning. way too many duffus posters come on board that give me the impression that way too many gun owners out there are nuts. this includes oddball gun owners in 3rd world countries sharing their stupidity with the world. one day on utube is all you need, to know what I mean.
all this does is discourage me from sharing my knowledge.
and as ive told many, im cutting my internet exposure drastically. the payoff has declined and im left to be a little more focused on my aims. too bad...its been a cool ride, but life goes on.
and fyi...im still DSL and smart phone free in 2018, and loving it. I like old.
ok...im done.

Last edited by bobski on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I believe you just best described Trapshooters.com.
Best way to describe the folks running that site.....well I'll just say I think they are all still in Jr. High school.
Makes me really appreciate this site even though I have only been here a few short years I have had nothing but a great experience here. Truly a fine group of knowledgeable gentlemen that have helped me in several areas of my love for the 16 ga. Hats off to the folks that keep it going !!

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain