16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Boxlock vs. Sidelock
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Please tell me engineeringly how a Brown Rotary Bolt can possibly shoot loose, that is an engineering impossibility.

Any locking mechanism on a hinged-opening gun can shoot loose, not because of the straight line recoil, but because of the immense bending moment (i.e., rotational force) around the hinge at firing. If the barrel and stock were linearly aligned with zero drop to the center of the buttplate, there would be no bending moment. However every shotgun has some drop, and a hinged-opening gun would instantly break open up at firing if no locking mechanism were present.

In other words, the pounding force at firing is both linear toward the butt and upward against the locking mechanism. That's why all locking mechanisms on hinged actions can wear and shoot loose.

B.
oyeme
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Lefever sidelocks have been oft mentioned and celebrated here, but do we have anyone here who shoots a D.M. Lefever boxlock (not the Nitro Special)?

Just curious. I've never set eyes on one.

B.

The DM Lefever cross bolt guns are few and far between. I also have never seen one in the flesh but seen a couple that were being sold. Buck Hamlin has worked on a few and says that the extractor versions are the only really reliable versions.

In all this discussion of boxlock VS sidelock no one has mentioned what I consider the ultimate refinement of the A&D boxlock system, i.e. the Westley Richards drop lock.

I owned a 1932 Westley Richards Drop Lock 16 gauge with 30 inch barrels that had never had any restoration and was in remarkable condition!

If I had only one type of shotgun to own, especially to go where there was no gunsmiths remotely available; it would be a WR drop lock. I would have an extra set of locks made for it and then would basically have the reliability of two guns!

Maybe that is why it was a preferred type for hunters going to Africa in their double rifles.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

The first D.M. Lefever double I ever saw was a rusted together gun that had spent decades standing in the corner of a Fischer's Mill, Oregon, chicken coop, on a property an elderly grandmother gave to one of my college buddies.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

A guy I know has one of the Lefever crossbolt guns, but, it was the lowest grade, and has been rode hard and put away wet a few times. Damascus barrels as well. It doesn’t seem like much to me.
The detachable lock Westleys use integrated striker/tumblers, a system I’ve grown suspect of, having seen a few broken ones, over the years. I’d suggest if someone was going where there where no gunsmiths, a boxlock with disc set strikers, a set of spare strikers and the tool to service them, and a spare set of springs for tumblers and opening lever, would be a better choice, not to mention a set of spare detachable locks for a Westley would cost more than most good guns.
But, a better choice would be a Darne. If the springs driving the strikers break, the guns keep right on working, like nothing happened.
Best choice of all might be an Ithaca 37, or an 870, however.

Best,
Ted