16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hevi-shot recipe
castnblast
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Does anybody have a 16 ga hevi-shot recipe using the B & P 16 Ga. International Supersonic Wad? Precision has steel load data for these wads, up to an ounce. Not trying to get something started but why would an ounce of hevi-shot with some filler create any different pressure than an ounce of steel if hull, primer, powder, and wad were the same? Thanks for any help. Jeff
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
why would an ounce of hevi-shot with some filler create any different pressure than an ounce of steel if hull, primer, powder, and wad were the same

"Hevi-Shot is a proprietary metal alloy that is actually more dense than lead and yet completely non-toxic and softer than steel. "

The pressures will not be the same, possibly not even remotely, for many reasons. Never change components in a shotgun load without pressure testing or referring to a published tested load.

B.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:42 am  Reply with quote

castnblast wrote:
Does anybody have a 16 ga hevi-shot recipe using the B & P 16 Ga. International Supersonic Wad? Precision has steel load data for these wads, up to an ounce. Not trying to get something started but why would an ounce of hevi-shot with some filler create any different pressure than an ounce of steel if hull, primer, powder, and wad were the same? Thanks for any help. Jeff

Man you get some really strange answers on this site to say the least.
Sorry have nothing for the B&P wads all my Hevi loads are with the BPI MM/VP 80 wad.
To answer your question with out reading from some advertisement, simplest way to describe why you get different pressures from different shot materials is the old Pound of Feathers Pound of Rocks saying, they both weight the same but have totally different volumes. Steel shot takes up a whole lot more volume than lead or Tungsten shot does, taking up that much more space it requires more force to push it out the barrel, being the same weight loads. Try to push that pound of feathers through a hose, it will take a lot of force to do it.
Now I'm sure one of the rocket scientists will get on here and say I'm wrong but that's how it was explained to me.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I'll add this to what 16gawf said . I've got a ton of old Herters wads . Want to use them .... Using a data list from here and BP , came up with a 7/8 Bizz load with 22grns 20/28 . (useable range of 18-27 per the data ) . 7/8 bizz is about 1oz lead vol , so fit the wad easily . Took my ole M12 out , no pad but with 2 down jackets on . Shot 100 lead loads with this previously . Touched off the 1st one and have never been whacked like that by any gun ! Fractured shoulder ! . Sent 21grn load to Precision and got a grand slam - 15k and 1550 velocity ! Talk about a recoil event ! so , the only diff component from what I shot all fall was adding a slightly larger vol of shot at the same weight . The only time I exchange mono e mono now is the #8 ROTO bizz weighs almost exactly the same as the same vol of lead . I say this just to affirm that there CAN be a problem even from a small change .

castnblast
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Hevi-shot loads a 16 ga 1 1/4 oz load at 1300fps. I'm looking for 1 1/8 oz. at 1220-1250. I know it can be done, I'm just wanted to know if somebody has ever put one together and had tested.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I did the original steel shot pressure and velocity testing for Precision years ago, with the B & P wads.

I would be hesitant to use tungsten in them. #2 steel and larger would rub through. Those wads are really for target loads with small sizes of steel ......like #6 and smaller.

When accelerated upon ignition all shot sets back at the bottom of wad. What you don't know is, because of tungsten's high density and relative hardness, will that create rub through on the wad,

The set back of the shot also creates high friction between the wad and the hull, which adds to the chamber pressure. Each type of shot sets back differently which leads to a different chamber pressure.

The only thing you can do is run a test......but I think I would do it with a more substantial wad.

If you absolutely must use the B & P wads, I would add buffer to help prevent rub through.

For what it's worth, after using bismuth with a good deal of success. I would find a good bismuth load and call it a day.

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

BPI has 9 published loads with the CSD16 (B&P wad) with HeviShot.
Three of them are published openly in their Load of the Week on 15-9-18 or close, all 7/8oz loads.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load15_09_18.htm

Always look at the BPI LOTW archive for hevishot or bismuth open source loads for 16ga, they are the only ones publishing anything new, it's a one-stop shop.

As Mark says, the CSD wad is thin for hevishot... I'd use a mylar wrap in there also.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
I did the original steel shot pressure and velocity testing for Precision years ago, with the B & P wads.

I would be hesitant to use tungsten in them. #2 steel and larger would rub through. Those wads are really for target loads with small sizes of steel ......like #6 and smaller.

When accelerated upon ignition all shot sets back at the bottom of wad. What you don't know is, because of tungsten's high density and relative hardness, will that create rub through on the wad,

The set back of the shot also creates high friction between the wad and the hull, which adds to the chamber pressure. Each type of shot sets back differently which leads to a different chamber pressure.

The only thing you can do is run a test......but I think I would do it with a more substantial wad.

If you absolutely must use the B & P wads, I would add buffer to help prevent rub through.

For what it's worth, after using bismuth with a good deal of success. I would find a good bismuth load and call it a day.

I found about the same thing as you did only I got rub through with #3 steel shot in the B&P 16 gauge wads.
IMO for what its worth or isn't your spot on with these wads, they are made for target or very small steel shot loads.
Personally I think there's so little out there in components offered for the 16 both Precision and BPI are selling these wads just to have something else to sell to people.
BPI has a winner with the MM16/VP80 wad, I've shot them for close to 20 years with Steel and Hevi loads and never once had any issues.
Take the advice given above and don't use the B&P wads for tungsten loads or for that matter Steel shot loads IMO.