16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chokes for wild phesant hunting in an O/U ?
DanLee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Full and full. Wild pheasants usually take off at longer range than the planted ones.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

All points of view expressed above share a great deal of truth...and more than a grain of wisdom.

But the one that sits most firmly with me is a negative paradox: Few pheasant hunts have disappointed me more than when out with a gun that is too heavy, a barrel that is too long, a choke that is too tight, and too few pellets in the shell.

I say bang those wild ones as quick as you can before they pull their feet in...they can move out FAST in the blink of an eye. And bang 'em again before they hit the ground if you don't want to chase them into the next county. "Break a wing and a leg" used to be the rule of thumb...is it still that way?

Just try to hit a high plains Montana rooster going 45 mph airspeed with a 40 kt tailwind coming down off the mountains.

I guess that means IC & Mod for me.

Cheers,
B.
hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
Full and full. Wild pheasants usually take off at longer range than the planted ones.

Yeah, but at 50 yards a full choke isn't going to help your 1 1/8 oz shot that much, even if it happens to pattern well. Agree to disagree. I have started to pass on more of these hail Mary shots that would be iffy even with a 3 inch 12GA load. Nothing sours a hunt like wounding a bird and not retrieving it.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I'm sure Nick is grinning ear to ear . You can't believe the results he gets with his 3/4 X 9's at out to 60yds . It goes against logic , physics etc . But I've seen it , and as you may have noticed , he's slipped it in about 9 Bizz loads and ducks !

JNW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Wabbit,
Lots of great technical discussion of chokes and loads. But, the real question is how well do you shoot? Are you capable of cleaning killing a pheasant at 40 yards CONSISTENTLY? 50 yards? If the answer is no, then open chokes and closer shots are your friends. You would probably be better off putting a LM in your top barrel and shooting 5s and 6s. I killed large numbers of wild pheasants with a gun choked Sk and LM. Improve your shooting and you'll put more birds in your bag. Too many pheasants are wounded and lost shooting at long range.
Jeff
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Wabbit,

I definitely agree with JNW, shooting talent is important, I will also add this. A good dog who sets birds up inside 35 yards, is also a great plus. I do use both my L.C. Smith 16 and my 12 gauge Pigeon gun out west, the 16 has 2 sets of barrels one choked for Pheasant and Ducks and the other choked for Grouse and Quail. Depending on how the dogs are setting the birds up, I can switch barrels as needed. If the wild Pheasant are extremely spooky, I also have the Pigeon Grade 12 Gauge with the long barrels, it can really reach out and touch the the wild Pheasants when needed.

There is no substitute for shooting talent however.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:28 am  Reply with quote

WABBIT-SLAYER wrote:
I have a 16ga. Citori that I use in S.D. for wild pheasant hunting. I use #5 shot in the bottom barrel & #4 shot in the top barrel, both 1&1/8 th oz. loads. We hunt with a combination of pointers & flushers. What chokes should I be using? I was using I.C. & Mod. this year but was wondering if L.M. & I.M. would be better?

I reckon your experience with success or wounded birds would indictate best.

Never hunted a combination of Pointers and Flushers(other than my setters do act like flushers on some days)....sounds like your deal was a group event where shots are less than predictable and more catch as catch can, "here one comes" or "there one goes."

Personally, if that is close to reality then M - F with 1 1/8-5s in both barrels would seem workable.
Add in being judicious when deciding to tap a trigger.
Nothing wrong with a 12 gauge in that scenario either.
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

A real issue is how many of us can ACCURATELY tell if a bird flushes 25 yards? 40? 60? In the heat of a grouse or rooster taking off? I'm sure I'm not as good as I used to be when I was actively shooting a bow.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

If you don't hit 'em, you won't get 'em! There is much to be said about waiting for closer shots and I prefer to when I know it's a legitimate option. That said, there are many, many instances where that turns into a day of bird watching. Late season and highly pressured birds are prime examples.
When I need to, I choke down and take my longer shots. I finished the Wyoming pheasant season using the Fox choked full/ x-full. I could have done as well with the Ithaca choked mod/full though. The tighter choke was nice when a covey of huns surprised me and I had to make the most of shooting coarse #5's at small birds.
I have tried about everything over the years and I will say that it is less frustrating having more choke than needed than to feel helpless when birds are flushing far enough to give shots at crippling range with an open choke. But as noted, when you have two choke to choose from some of that is easily resolved.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Sav16,

The great thing about having double triggers is like WyoChukar indicated, instant choke selection once you make the judgement call, and if you misjudge and use the open choke from the 1st trigger you always have the back trigger with the more closed choke for further distance shooting. Still it takes a talented gunner!

Pine Creel/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted double post

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trail
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

As stated by others....it depends on the kind of hunting you're doing. Over pointing dogs, you really want a fairly open choke. IC/ mod are just fine...and you get go more open if you want. My go-to gun is a SxS choked sk1/sk2. My son prefers IC/ IM...says he'd rather be choked for the longer shot if needed.

Over flushers, slightly tighter. If, however, you're lining up with 6 buddies to push a field, the shots can be long. That's where you need the IM/ MOD. Honestly, some may disagree, but I cannot think of a situation where full is appropriate.
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Trail wrote:
As stated by others....it depends on the kind of hunting you're doing. Over pointing dogs, you really want a fairly open choke. IC/ mod are just fine...and you get go more open if you want. My go-to gun is a SxS choked sk1/sk2. My son prefers IC/ IM...says he'd rather be choked for the longer shot if needed.

Over flushers, slightly tighter. If, however, you're lining up with 6 buddies to push a field, the shots can be long. That's where you need the IM/ MOD. Honestly, some may disagree, but I cannot think of a situation where full is appropriate.

Along the lines of wyochukars comments.....
Hunting big expansive country, wild, pressured public land birds - what some of us western hunters do exclusively - if comfortable with your abilities, the above statement, "...I cannot think of a situation where full is appropriate" is not applicable.
I hunt over pointers and most shots are close. Late season, if I want to keep hunting - that changes. I adapt.....
GF1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I never go more open than LM/IM on wild birds in my Citori 16 Superlight (28” barrels). And I should add that these are the Briley aftermarket black oxide extended chokes which have the same constrictions as 12 gauge chokes (in this case, .015”/.025”). I prefer 1 1/8 oz of magnum #6 (STS with 6% antimony). I sometimes use a Model 12 Winchester 16, choked modified (.012”), same loads.

If conditions are “cold and crunchy”, I switch to IM/LF, same loads, or to my Fox AE 12 gauge with tight chokes and 1 1/4 oz of #5s. These conditions, in late season, dictate tight chokes and big shot. IME, the old 12 gauge live pigeon load of 3 1/4 1 1/4 #5 through a 12 gauge is ideal. That payload drives larger gauge for enough pattern density.

I am not happy with pattern density of shot bigger than #6 in the 16, and #6 seems to be the sweet spot for 16 gauge density and energy. As someone else said earlier, I want to be able to break a wing; my dog can handle a runner.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:25 am  Reply with quote

GF1,

Real good analysis, I agree 100%. My 16's pattern best with shot no larger than 6's.
However I do use #5's on occasion, in my old Smith guns the patterns do not change all that drastically with 5's. However I know there are holes the pattern.

I like your description of cold and crunchy, man that is the truth. In that particular situation the old L.C. Smith Pigeon Grade with the 30" Barrels choked M/F reaches out to put the wild Pheasants down. However my 12 gauge LeFever/Ithaca does a real fine job also, especially with #6's and also with #5's, choked IC & M. This 12 gauge gun on a 16 frame, is a Pheasant killing machine, no doubt about it. Who ever the man was that special order this gun, wanted a serious Western Pheasant Gun, and he knew what he was doing. Turns out the gun is a serious Grouse gun also, with 7 1/2 & 8 SpredR loads, and the 28" barrels.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The old Pheasant gun with SpredR loads turns into a nice Grouse and Woodcock gun also.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55947_800x600/] [/URL]