16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Discontinued Herters 16ga?
eajusc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

I was just looking around on the Cabelas website and can't find the Herters 16ga 1oz #8 anywhere...am I blind or have the recently discontinued it? The "target loads" no longer have any 16ga options it seems.

Does anyone have any opinion on the 16ga 1 1/8oz 7.5? I've always shot 1oz and am hesitant (though admittedly hesitant for no good reason in my mind) to step up to 1 1/8oz loads.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I have not found them in a while, but I feel sure they sold out and are waiting a re-supply.

I just bought 11 boxes of #6 and will use them for informal practice and pigeons. (They also work GREAT for late season collard doves.)

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Hope not-recently found 100 plus hulls at a local clays course-they loaded great.The 1 1/8 loads give you a alight advantage when taking larger game{pheasant} or longer shots--
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

They had been on sale for less than $5 a box. 8’s sold out. 6’s still available. I don’t think they are discontinued. I think they are the best selling 16 gauge load. Especially when on sale.
1stgun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Not to throw a wrench in the discussion cause I like the Herters also, but in Baton Rouge we have a Cabelas on the south side of town and a Bass Pro on the east side. There are gun shows in the town where Cabelas is located about every 3 months so it is a stop that is always on our agenda. Since the buyout, we have noticed small changes at Cabelas, had to look close but they were there and when queried employees said there is no talk of closing. Last time there, November, the "Bargain Barn" was now a children's play area complete with merchandising of toys and clothes. Herter's shells were nowhere to be found on the sales floor, not even individual boxes, let alone cases.
One of our favorite sales persons when asked why there was a barrel filled with generic exotic game sausages at $15 a shot and one barrel with about 3 Cabelas summer sausage for $3 apiece told us Cabelas branded merchandise is being phased out.

I don't know, just what I have seen and heard. Have not noticed any changes at the Bass Pro.

2 cents,
Chuck

PS If memory serves me correct, before Herters shells, Cabelas had a big buy in Estate branded shells. Please correct me if I am wrong cause I know people on here were talking and buying and I am pretty sure it was Cabelas. Could just be a cyclical thing.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

I was at the Cabela's store in Rogers, Ark. last week and it is showing definite signs of Bass Pro taking over and turning it more in to a bass Pro outfit. They did have a few 16ga guns there including a Win M12 for a good price. if i didn't already have one I would have bought it . The store definitely had more fishing related items than before and was a disappointment to me. I may visit the store again when I am in the area but won't drive the 107 miles to shop the store when I can find most of what I need at the Academy in nearby Joplin, Mo.
Reloading supplies I can get locally at a nearby gun shop or ordered online from BP or Precision Reloading. Sad

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:58 am  Reply with quote

Back up to regular price. Guess they are not on clearance.
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:04 am  Reply with quote

One month ago:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21693
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:25 am  Reply with quote

I bought a couple flats on that last sale only because of the "here now, gone tomorrow" nature of all things 16 gauge.

I hope they didn't drop the 8's.
Pockets
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 am  Reply with quote

I was at the Rogers store last week and they had very little 16g shells left.
I got the last Herters pheasant loads.
I will be going back to pick up a gun. I hope they have restocked.
The guy at the gun desk told me that Cabela’s still runs the gun business for technical reasons and they are using the Rogers store as a model for future consideration.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I bought a couple flats on that last sale only because of the "here now, gone tomorrow" nature of all things 16 gauge.

I hope they didn't drop the 8's.

Dave, like you, I pick up a flat or two whenever they are on sale; need them or not. I doubt the 8’s are dropped. They are the best seller.

That said, Bass Pro is a terrible model for business. I abandoned them years ago even though they were the only large retailer within 75 miles. I cringed when talk of the Cabelas merger started. You can already seen a decline in Cabelas; inventory especially.
df
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have quite a few of the #8 Herters loads on hand.
Not looking for any more.
I would not be the least bit surprised if BP drops them. They seem to be doing many things to PO customers.
Cass
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I think they just have a search problem. If you search by 16ga. the Herter's don't show, but if you search by Herter's it shows several types of 16ga available (6 and 7-1/2 under the dove and quail, and 5 under the pheasant).

Cass
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Cass wrote:
I think they just have a search problem. If you search by 16ga. the Herter's don't show, but if you search by Herter's it shows several types of 16ga available (6 and 7-1/2 under the dove and quail, and 5 under the pheasant).

Cass

I always type in Herters 16. Comes right up.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Cass wrote:

Cass

The 7 1/2's are 1 1/8 ounce at 1250 fps and have too much recoil for my wife (and also for me). She absolutely abhors them but is very happy with the 1 ounce #8's at 1165 and that is the load no longer available.

Luckily she received several more flats in early December before they ran out of the 1 ounce #8's for her 16 gauge Ugartechea. She now has 5 flats in the basement. She prefers her 20 gauge Grulla for most clays and quail shooting but there are some longer range clays courses where she prefers the 16. The number 6 shot are available in 1 ounce at 1165 fps but size 6 shot is not permitted at any clays course where we shoot.

BPS sucks! And is taking Cabela's down with them. I've quit using my Cabela's personal and business credit cards and obtained cards from another bank. I used to buy significant amounts from Cabela's but now it's solely if they have the lowest price on something I need. My first purchase from Cabela's was when I was in high school back in the 1960's - less than 10 years after the Cabela brothers started the business - it doesn't help your business model when your long-term customers attitude changes from "they're my first choice" to I'll buy from them "if they're the cheapest".