16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Discontinued Herters 16ga?
Popguns
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

I was at the cabelas store in hazel wood mo today and bought the last 3 boxes of 16 ga ammo in the store. Employee told me there would be no more Herters ammo once all that is in the distribution center is dipleted he stated that some flats of 12 ga is still coming through.They still had quite few loose boxes of 20 ga.,4 boxes of 410 7.5 and 6 boxes of 28 no 9. Also several flats of 12 ga. 6,7.5,8.
Popguns
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

I was at the cabelas store in hazel wood mo today and bought the last 3 boxes of 16 ga ammo in the store. Employee told me there would be no more Herters ammo once all that is in the distribution center is dipleted he stated that some flats of 12 ga is still coming through.They still had quite few loose boxes of 20 ga.,4 boxes of 410 7.5 and 6 boxes of 28 no 9. Also several flats of 12 ga. 6,7.5,8.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Someone is always running a sale on 12 Ga. "target" dove loads, it seems. I'm not loading up on 12's, don't see the point.
20 Ga. maybe..,.
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Ohio Wirehair"] Actually when Cabela's went public a few years back I kinda expected this to happen. Once the bean counters and corporate board took control the Cabelas brothers dream started to die on the vine.

I agree with this statement.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
1stgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Byron Whitlock wrote:
I just ordered 20 boxes myself. At 4.88 a box I bought them with the thought that if BP is dropping the Herters shells I will stock up on the hulls even if they are loaded with sixes. I used up my points and after sales tax my order came to $84.27 for two cases of shells, With free shipping I know they will send them as full cases to cut their cost. this will be my last order from the company so i used up all my points.

I wouldn't count on them coming in a full flat although being #6 they may. And I bought a flat of them before hunting season and it was an intact case.

The shortage actually started back in July I should have figured it out then. Every time Herters 16's go sale I always get at least 2 flats and have for awhile. In July I ordered 4 flats. 3 came intact. The other came in 2 boxes from 2 different stores. They took them off the shelves where they could find them.

All the #8 since then have been like that. And not always packed the best this is what one box looked like when I opened it

Just glad to have them right now.

+ 1 That is about what the last box I received looked like.

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Yikes! Sad
Hoping for flats ...,..
Cass
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

I got the tracking numbers. The 3 flats worth are being shipped from 2 different stores, so at least its not 15 different stores. One shipment is coming from Fort Worth, the closest store. The other shipment is coming from Prairie Du Chien, WI.

Hopefully they're not like Cold Iron's, ha. We'll see.

Cass
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

As long as they go bang you're good.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

They're definitely being discontinued: the individual boxes at the Scarborough store had the little "Clearance sale" tags sticking out. Salespeople confirmed they're being discontinued.

I bought 10 boxes of 16ga #6 1 oz @ 4.88, 2 boxes of 16 ga #5 1 1/8 oz @6.88 and 2 boxes of 12 ga #4 1 1/4 oz @ 6.88. Any time you can get high-brass pheasant loads
in #4 or #5 under $7/box, you buy.

The corporate folks (I hesitate to call them any names for fear of insulting the other people bearing that name) have not only discontinued these shells, but their reloading selection is a joke. They have rows of MEC and Lee Load-All loading machines, some wads (not a great selection), some primers (not a lot), powder, and have dropped birdshot (of any kind) from inventory. So, even if you wanted to reload, you couldn't. And this stuff will just sit there, unsold.

I'm convinced some anti must be Bass Pro's marketing consultant - no one could be this stupid or thickheaded without it being intentional.

jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 am  Reply with quote

I just got down to florida and usually the first thing on the list is to ordge my season supply of 16 #8 from Cabelas. Things looked bleak til i found I had 5 flats on hand. Must have ordered at the end of last year, really good news since I haven't done much reloading since we could by the herters so cheap. Oh well it was nice while it lasted. Glad I have a good supply of DR 16 on hand.

Joe

jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 am  Reply with quote

WE just arrived in florida and usually the first order of business is to place an order for the seasons supply of 16 gs #8 . I was very lucky, looks like I ordered at the end of last year before going home and have 5 flats on hand. Should b e enough to get me thru march. Then its back to reloading.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Got a email with a tracking number. My .410's will be here tomorrow. Very Happy
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Tracking shows my 6's, shipped from IA. Here the 10th.
The other two flats say "will ship standard express" then beside it says "shipped on the 6th. No tracking number for those, however.
we will see...
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Eleven boxes of 6's(410) just arrived from Wi. via FedX. Looked about Cold Irons box. I don't care, for $4.88 I can rebox em. When I was a kid I'd dump out Dad's .410's and rebox em for fun. Will be like old times.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:12 am  Reply with quote

I was just on their site and noted the different shells had Q&A/FAQ.

It might be useful for those of you who have Cabelas' accounts to send in a question for their Q&A/FAQ asking why they are discontinuing these shells, praising their quality, etc. Make someone uncomfortable having to answer the question.