16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What is your best piece of advise to a new Grouse hunter?
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am  Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by Carlos on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 am  Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by Carlos on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:46 am  Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by Carlos on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am  Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by Carlos on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am  Reply with quote

I hunted grouse for many years before shooting my first shotgun. As a youth I spent summers at my uncle's ranch in the BC interior. No electricity, NO running water, except in the crick, but all the freedom a kid could want. We fished with willow poles and wet flies. We carried about whenever we wanted a singleshot Savage .22, which I still have. With no refrigeration, us boys were expected to vary the menu with sacks of Dolly Varden trout and headshot willow grouse.

I bought my own .22 when I was 13. Got the nod from Mom and went off with a pocketful of paper route money. The rifle, a Canadian made Cooey, cost just under $13 and a Lyman 5D peepsight cost $5 more - installed. I carried it home openly under my arm through the city. I gave my guns to a brother when I went off to Germany with the Army. Their fate is unknown as that brother went off to wander the world as an engineering tech. I managed to replace it since, and it has helped train another generation of boys, and girls, with guns.

My first shotgun was a Remmie 1100 from a US Army gunclub store about 1967. My second was a Merkell 200 (12ga, but I knew no better then) traded off the 1100, but shot much game with the German O/U. I now have several 16 gauge double shotguns, just as my outdoor career is waning. Oh well! Sic Transit Gloria. I still go out once in a while with SIL shooting ducks in a tidal marsh from a canoe.

So, what's the message? Mentorship and freedom, but getting to live a 19th century life without the drawbacks was priceless.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

carlos,

Great post, growing up in the outdoors was fantastic in our era's not many of the youngsters today get to experience what we had.

I am only sorry you did not have a good bird dog, on this and other things I was very lucky.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Trail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I would say, enjoy the ENTIRE experience. To me, that means the stop at the restuarant for breakfast with my buddies, the lunch break on the tailgate of the truck...or better yet watching evening settle over the woods from the tailgate. In my case, settling into a cozy truck camper in the middle of nowhere for the evening. Oh yes...and grouse camp! All that has a lot to do with why I love the sport.

From a practical perspective.....work with your dog all year long. Don't start working with it in August and expect performance. As stated before....its really all about the dog! Smile
Trail
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Trail,

I also like the social part of Grouse hunting, unfortunately those who hunt alone do not really get into the social aspects of Grouse hunting. However much can be learned by a beginner just over lunch or dinner, with other knowledgable Grouse hunters. It does help complete a Grouse hunters education on the sport and many other things in life. Many times it becomes a show and tell about guns, dogs and ethics of Grouse hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My buddy Ken Graft and I have had many Dinners and Lunches together while Grouse and Woodcock hunting. We talk about everything form Grouse hunting to Religion and politics. Lots of good can come from the social aspect of Grouse hunting.

Pine Cree/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55958_800x600/] [/URL]

mtbirder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I fail to come up with any unfortunate aspects of hunting alone, with my dog(s),
in the rocks and whitebark pine, at nine thousand some feet atop the spine of the Bridger Range. Watching mountain goats, hearing pikas, and hunting blue grouse which blast down the canyon if missed, never to offer the luxury of a decision whether or not to flush and shoot at again.
Sure, there are "social aspects" to hunting with others. But I would advise a new grouse hunter to give it a try alone (with/without-if-need-be a dog), and experience the experience without the possibility of having to strike up a conversation about religion and/or politics at lunch.
I can think of no better way to ruin a good bird hunt than either of those topics rearing their ugly head...…….
Laughing
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 am  Reply with quote

mtbirder,

No doubt many will agree with you, some do not believe in the social aspects of Grouse hunting, others like it a lot. Got to admit there were many many times I liked hunting with only my Grouse Dogs in the silence of the snow covered forest. It is something to behold.

However as you age it is a lot safer to have a hunting partner. I can remember waking up in Eric Miller's fathers arms one day, on a slippery snow covered Potter County mountain side. I was out cold for about 10 minutes having slipped on a tree branch under the snow.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My brother and his hunting partner up around Elk Lake, Canada, with their 28 gauge guns
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55961_800x600/] [/URL]

mtbirder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
mtbirder,

No doubt many will agree with you, some do not believe in the social aspects of Grouse hunting, others like it a lot. Got to admit there were many many times I liked hunting with only my Grouse Dogs in the silence of the snow covered forest. It is something to behold.

However as you age it is a lot safer to have a hunting partner. I can remember waking up in Eric Miller's fathers arms one day, on a slippery snow covered Potter County mountain side. I was out cold for about 10 minutes having slipped on a tree branch under the snow.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My brother and his hunting partner up around Elk Lake, Canada, with their 28 gauge guns
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55961_800x600/] [/URL]

I see where this is going.
From the altruistic beginnings concerning bringing a greenhorn into the fold......
to-
The self serving having someone along to pack our folded carcasses back home for a proper burial....
Laughing
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder,

Yeik, never thought of it in quite that way!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man