16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Made a Deal on an Antique 16 Gauge Crescent Hammer Gun.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 am  Reply with quote

cowdoc87,

No doubt about it, the Crescent was the working mans double gun, made in Norwich, CT long ago in an era when Parker, L.C. Smith, Fox and LeFever were making more expensive double guns, Crescent zeroed in the the average working man and sold a lot of guns at reasonable prices. We had lots of them here in the Pittsburgh, Pa area, heck my Father even picked up a 12 Gauge for Lancaster County Pheasant Hunting, when the weather was miserable. Got to admit the Crescent did its job quite well. The gun was never abused and is still in the gun cabinet here in our home today, along with all the better guns.

As was indicated before, the 20's and the 12 were prevalent, I saw a few nice 28 gauge Hammer Guns at the gun shows also, however the 20's and 12 were mostly beat up pretty bad, the 28's tended to be in better shape, I should have bought one back in the 60's when they were considered kids & ladies guns. No foresight on my part, and we still had the Parker DHE 28 Gauge at that time.

I do love the Hammer guns however, and should have picked the old Crescent up cheap at one of the Gun shows, even in the early 50's when I was a kid. Now they are selling for a lot more money, if you can get your hands on one.

The 16's and the 28's were built with 2 1/2 Chambers and lots of guys did not want to roll their own shells for hunting back then, so the guns resold all the time around Pittsburgh, Pa.

Now up home in Potter County where most of the Grouse and Woodcock hunters lived & hunted, you saw very few of the Crescent double guns, the LeFever, L.C. Smith, Parker and Fox double guns were the choice of those particular men and ladies. Some used pump guns, and O/U's also. Most all these guns were handed down via the families for generations.

Of course we had our visitors like President Eisenhower & Audie Murphy who visited to Grouse and Woodcock hunt each year after WWII, who used their .410 & 20 gauge Belgium O/U hand made guns also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

fourtrax,

The great thing about the old SXS barrels is that after 100 years they are in absolutely fantastic shape. The only real marks on them was the plastic inside the barrels, from shooting modern shells. I cleaned the Barrels up with some Gun Scrubber and Breakfree and the bores shine like brand spanking new. To say I was happy about getting my hands on this particular old Hammer Gun that weighs just over 6 lbs, is definitely a big under statement.

The barrels are steel, not Damascus and in incredible shape, finding a Crescent Double Hammer Gun in this kind of shape after 100 years was just plain luck, I had been looking for one for a long long time. The internet is definitely great for communication like this, without it there is no way I would have found this gun. The 16 gauge forum caused it all to happen. The man who owned the gun talked about it here in one of the posts.

Now that RST and Poly have the 2 1/2" SpredR shells, I will not use anything else in this old Antique 16 gauge Hammer gun. I want to make darn sure nothing happens to her, and I want to due a lot of Grouse and Woodcock hunting with her. I do not roll my own any longer, so the 2 1/2" SpredR shells will be all that runs thru her.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I like Classic American Side Lock Double Guns, to me nothing comes close.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56567_800x600/] [/URL]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

I saw two of these, in 28 gauge, on Guns International recently. May still be there.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

I will have to check them out, thanks for the info.

Checked the guns out, not in good enough shape for me to make an offer on unfortunately.

Thanks again,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I thought I recall one being pretty good, but that one may well have sold in the past couple weeks. I actually called on that one and the guy said he was taking it to a gun show that weekend; it probably sold.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

The one gun had a nice size gouge right beside the side lock on one side of the gun, not interested in that what so ever, and it was posted twice for sale. The other gun was not to bad but not quite what I want to see, I intend to Grouse hunt with what ever 28 Hammer Gun I purchase, want something almost pristine.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man