16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  For the love of dogs!
last dollar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:39 am  Reply with quote

I wrote, on this forum of the pain of losing my companion of 12+YEARS, MY Brittany Flash. Like most folks who lose their best friend dog, I agonized over replacing him, and halfheartedly sorta looked. I am 85 years of age, still get to the field almost every day, and have killed 21 WILD roosters so far without a dog, this year. BUT, it wasn't the same. Then Dawn Craig, the Lady breeder from whom I have gotten my last few dogs, called. She told me of a nine year old GSP, whose owner had died. The dog "UNO' was consigned to a boarding kennel and never picked up. I told Dawn, well. He is old, will move slow, want to sleep a lot, have arthritis, being German will likely fart in his sleep, be stubborn, nearing the end of his useful life ,have to get out and pee in the middle of the night etc etc...Dawn said "You two will make a good pair"...
I went and got him.....Don't forget the old guys....!
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:28 am  Reply with quote

"The best dogs find you"
mtbirder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 am  Reply with quote

thanks......
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:51 am  Reply with quote

You are a good, kind man. I run a couple of male shorthairs and certainly can't argue with your assessment of the breed. My older GSP is nine years old and still hunting hard, finding wild and planted birds and winning field trials. Don't be too sure he'll be all that slow, he might surprise you.

1stgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:19 am  Reply with quote

That warms my heart on a cold morning.
Thanks,
Chuck

last dollar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:46 am  Reply with quote

"UNO" has been with me for three days, and gone to the field two of those. He has had Three Good points, but they were on Girl birds, we will try again today....He is busy teaching me my commands....Gentle pawing and pulling on cuffs means "I need to go out" Bringing dirty socks from the laundry room, means I want to play fetch with rolled up socks. We don't put in more than an hour or so a day field time, my legs don't like it. So far so good....
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 am  Reply with quote

You're 85 and have 21 roosters so far without a dog? I wanna be like you when I grow up. Laughing Laughing Good for you for giving uno a great home. We just adopted a 41/2 yr old English setter 2 days before Christmas that had to be rehomed from a broken home. He's already fitting in here.

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am  Reply with quote

last dollar,
What a great way to bring a dog into your life. I ran shorthairs for many years and I always found them great company. Glad to hear you two are getting out for some work and the birds are a bonus, at least for me. I just enjoying watching the pups work.

Good Hunting,
Mike
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Just perfect!

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:13 am  Reply with quote

It is posts like this that make me smile, give me hope and have me looking forward to retirement........knowing that I just might have a long way to go chasing dogs!!

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Amazing how these things work out, LD, no?
Good on you for taking in that dog.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:39 am  Reply with quote

last dollar,

Thank you sir for being the man you are, there area still good people in this world, consider yourself one of them.

Have fun with your new hunting companion!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C.Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
cottonstalk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

I feel your pain on losing a dog friend, lost mine Christmas night. I'm glad you got a new friend. Good luck to the both of you and good hunting.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

last dollar wrote:
I wrote, on this forum of the pain of losing my companion of 12+YEARS, MY Brittany Flash. Like most folks who lose their best friend dog, I agonized over replacing him, and halfheartedly sorta looked. I am 85 years of age, still get to the field almost every day, and have killed 21 WILD roosters so far without a dog, this year. BUT, it wasn't the same. Then Dawn Craig, the Lady breeder from whom I have gotten my last few dogs, called. She told me of a nine year old GSP, whose owner had died. The dog "UNO' was consigned to a boarding kennel and never picked up. I told Dawn, well. He is old, will move slow, want to sleep a lot, have arthritis, being German will likely fart in his sleep, be stubborn, nearing the end of his useful life ,have to get out and pee in the middle of the night etc etc...Dawn said "You two will make a good pair"...
I went and got him.....Don't forget the old guys....!

LD, that dog was made for you! My French Brittany "Beau" will be 9 March 1st, he has been acting strange lately, hope it is nothing too serious, he is my life now.
I am 76, don't get around hunting anymore, my balance has gone to hell, so he is my constant companion.

If he goes before me, I will go to animal shelter and adopt an old dog that needs a home, and is willing to put up with an old fart.

Glad you are still giving them Kansas pheasants hell- keep on keeping on.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
sneem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

We lost our dog a few months ago after 15 years. Not a hunter. Just a mutt. Or, since we lived near the Comanche Reservation in OK, a Comanche Wolf Dog. Or so I told people who asked. A little puppy literally followed us home. As was said, the best dogs find you. We could not have had a better "buddy". He knew his job. Try every day to keep the mailman from stealing our stuff. Warn us when the UPS or FedEx people trespassed on our porch. And those squirrels. What are they doing in our yard? I miss him every time I come home, open the door and there' s no big brown head meeting me.
Go pat your dog on the head. Some day you won't be able to.