<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herters on sale
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am  Reply with quote

THAT Sir,
Is a chain letter answer.....
Rolling Eyes
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am  Reply with quote

I just go off the phone with Customer Service at Cabela's.
She (and she was delightful) said it is NOT marked as discontinued
in her computer and to check back in a few weeks.

As for 16 gauge ammo, the #5 Pheasant ammo is still available at
$6.88 a box and free shipping over $50.00

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1879606&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-1879606&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1601971
Cass
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

I posted the information below on the other thread on January 10:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21779

From that email it seems that Cheddite has confirmed that their ammo is being discontinued by Cabela's. It seems likely that Cabela's just hasn't bothered to tell their people how to respond.

Cass

Cass wrote:

There was some information posted by MAJENKINS a user on the shotgunworld forum:

I sent the following email to Cheddite, I'll let y'all know if I hear back. MAJ

A number of my fellow shooters and I are devoted users of the Cheddite-producted Herter’s brand of shot shells. It is our understanding that as a result of Bass Pro’s acquisition of Cabela’s that the Herter’s line is being discontinued. Would you please let me know if Cheddite plans to re-enter the US market and sell shells similar to Herter’s through another source? The Herter shells are an excellent product, clean shooting and I’ve never had a failure with them. Many of us would love to see them back in the USA.

Below is the response from Cheditte. If you want to send them some suggestions for retailers or just words of encouragement, the email address is mcorsi@chedditeitaly.it. Mary Ann

Dear Mary Ann,
It is with great pleasure we received your email.
Unfortunately the information in your hands is correct, we are not going to supply Herter’s products anymore. This does not mean we are unprepared or unready to start the distribution of our products in U.S. market. Of course Herter’s is a brand owed by Cabelas and we cannot sell the same line. We have another line ready to be sold in U.S. , we are just looking for a new importer. May be you know any possible distributor ,even in Texas,that could be interested in this deal?
If so, please let us be in contact with him.

Thanks for your support, we are confident to start again our work with U.S. very soon.
With my best regards

Manuela
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Great work, Cass, and also good news to hear from Cheddite.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Horses mouth update;

Thank you for the additional information. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to contact us. Our system has been updated and unfortunately, this item SKU 2578196 is now discontinued and we will not restock. However, I do show that we are integrating more of Cabela's products and there is a "NEW" Herter's brand ammunition on our system but it is not fully loaded as far as additional details. I do not have a time frame to when this item will be available to be viewed in our system, please keep checking back with us online. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We greatly value your business.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Herter's ammo may now be loaded by RIO (expanded U.S. offerings recently), Federal, etc. We'll know eventually...if the new company that is "Bassbelas" can get their act together. Not holding my breath on that last one.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Ass Pro Shops? Cool
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 am  Reply with quote

Backwards Ass Pro Shops
John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:19 am  Reply with quote

It would be way cool if they developed a 16 gauge 7/8 oz #8 shot target load for a very affordable price.

I bet it would sell well.

Two Barrels
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 am  Reply with quote

A 7/8oz target load would sell very well. They are not that forward thinking. If it is not targeted at the bass, buck, or gobbler crowd, they have no interest.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 am  Reply with quote

I fear you hit the nail on the head with that last statement. That seems to be the direction of the entire industry.

Gran16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Yep just take a look at turkey loads at sporting goods store now 2 1/4 oz of tungsten shot in a 3 1/2 12 gauge shell at over 50 buck for 5 shells.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Agreed, and don't forget target marketing the Waterfowl crowd. Time will tell...

Gran16 wrote:
Yep just take a look at turkey loads at sporting goods store now 2 1/4 oz of tungsten shot in a 3 1/2 12 gauge shell at over 50 buck for 5 shells.

Referencing my wallet and shoulder; OUCH! the shot in those shells equates out to ~$70/lb & couldn't resist jumping on a recoil calculator, in a #9lb gun (single barrel Pardner) that load has ~#70lb of recoil energy. Shocked YOW!!

hayseed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Gran16 wrote:

If I need that load to kill a turkey, I need to become a better hunter.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Gran16 wrote:

Meh.

At a recent gun show I picked up a box (short one round) of 70s era Peters shells. 12 ga, 2 3/4 in., 1 1/2 ounce #2 lead. If I can't kill a turkey with that, I don't deserve to be in the woods. In the same lot, 14/25 rounds in a box, 1 1/4 oz of #6 lead, Remington Duck and Pheasant, same vintage, 12 ga. Again, if I can't kill a turkey with that, I don't deserve to be in the woods.

I suspect the #2s were short one round for the same reason the tungsten doesn't get shot - the ouch factor. Only the #2s were all ouchy in the shoulder while the tungsten in both the shoulder and wallet.

Total price: $5.

I think I did well.