16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  DT - R.A.P.T. 1450 Pro Trainer Collar Unit Review
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

The following is a review on the DT 1450 Pro Trainer Collar Unit.

After using the 1450 Collar unit in the Pa big forest training and hunting the 1450 Collar stacks up in this manner.

The 1450 is a good DT Collar unit , expandable to control 3 collars at one time.

The collar works well for about a little over a 1/2 mile in the big woods. The New Hand Held Remote Control works well and has upgraded bigger buttons compared to the DT H2O unit. The HHRC is engineered to be worn on the back of the trainer/hunters hand.

The HHRC comes with a stubby Antenna IMO it could use a longer antenna to increase the distance the collar can be used at. DT has a 3" Antenna, it does not come with the 1450 unit however. I was advised the H2O antennas also work with the 1450 unit, have not tried mine yet.

Unfortunately the HHRC is not a rechargeable unit, it runs on a 9V battery, which is not rechargeable. 9V battery does not come with the Collar unit.

The collar is Rechargeable, set up like the old Dogtra units, Beeper top side behind the dogs ears, and the shock unit under the dogs neck, balancing the collar on the dogs neck. The Beeper is nice and loud, the hard of hearing training/hunter will love this unit.

The HHRC unit works perfectly so far, however replacing the 9V battery in the woods is not recommended by Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers. Insert the new Battery in your vehicle, the need of a small Philips Head Screw driver is required.

The 1450 unit has been upgraded with a slow trickle discharge unit, so the Battery in the unit will not over charge, like the old DT H2O units did. I leave the Collar on charge even when the green light is on and the unit is fully charged. DT recommends taking the unit off the charger when fully charged and the light is green. Not because you can damage the unit by over charging it, but because of insurance safety reasons. So far I have had not problems with leaving mine on the charger until I need it on the dogs.

The HHRC is engineered to be worn on the back of the hunter/trainers hand, it does take some getting use to because of the new button positions on the HHRC.

I do not know if we will invest in the additional collars, making the 1450 a complete 3 dog collar training unit, we will see how long the 9V battery lasts while operating the unit before making that decision. Next fall when the collar is in full use, we will see how long the 9V lasts as we use the collar every day to train and hunt.

So far we recommend the DT 1450 unit for the average hunter/home trainer, it works just fine.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Owner Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

The new DT 1450 Pro Training Collar unit, fully charged and plugged in.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55938_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 am  Reply with quote

I purchased a new 1450 R.A.P.T. Upland unit this year. I like it BUT............

I do agree with the antenna length on the unit. I hunt in some places where it is not line of sight and there are times when the collar is not getting reception and my GSP is no where near 1/2 mile away. In Nebraska I noticed less reception issues, than I do in CT. Thanks for the heads up on the longer antenna. The beeper is permanently attached, which I thought I might like but nah. The antenna for the collar is in the collar strap, not sure about that either.

At 4 years old my GSP does not need constant correction and I basically use the vibration feature most of the time. I have not had to replace the 9 volt battery. The collar will last for 3 - 3 hour hunts and from Oct 1 until just before Christmas, I hunt 3 days a week. The collar charge might last longer than 9 hours of operation but I have never tried to kill it to find out.

I am not in love with the transmitter, the only thing I want in my hands is my shotgun. I have a WingWorks vest and I hang it off the sternum strap.......works for me.

I like my old Garmin upland better to be honest, as there were no little niggling issues.

If I had to do it again, I would get the Garmin Tri-Tronics Sport Pro. The Garmin transmitter is a very no-look operation for me. The last thing I want when I am hunting is to be looking at a piece of electronics.

I have a pup coming this spring and I am going back to the Garmin stuff.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37,

I have to agree with every thing you wrote, I definitely want the no look operation of the old Dogtra HHRC also.

After you get use to the 1450 hanging on your vest or Grouse Jacket, and this takes some time, the 1450 HHRC almost becomes a no look operation also. However the Dogtra 2000 HHRC is a better no look situation IMO.

We will see what happens next fall when my pup is old enough to work the woods, how much more limited than 3/4 of a mile the 1450 really is in the big woods. I use the Beeper as a command giver quite a bit, so this will be critical also.

Glad to hear the 9V battery is holding up for a long time.

Thanks for the in put, I appreciate it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers