16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cabelas gun sales
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Easy or hard to deal with? I'm looking at a gun I'd like to buy.
Never dealt with them before.

Thanks

Matt
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 am  Reply with quote

They now have a zero return policy and no layaway....if you buy it and it's got a broken firing pin, tough...if you want to inspect it beforehand, you wont be able to remove the trigger lock and in some stores the actions are zip tied shut.

I still buy from them on occasion, but generally only because somebody screwed up on thier end as is allowing a pristine gun to sell for less than most worn out and used up examples.

It's not the same place it used to be, and the location near me has been trying to pass off ALOT of parts guns as factory original, which is very much not ok...

On the other hand I bought a 1946 Savage 99 lever gun there in virtually perfect condition, and the salesman absolutely insisted it was refinished, hence the low price. It wasnt and I won out....this is why i still stop in once a month.

8mmFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:49 am  Reply with quote

I bought a very nice pre-64 Win Model 70 in .270 for my youngest boy there. I found it in the Boise store while in Idaho on a hunting visit, but I didn't have room in my airplane gun case to put it in and take it home with me. They shipped it to the Cabela's near my home (at my cost), and I picked it up there. Absolutely no problem.

True, they are NOT the Cabela's of old--seems to be the way of the world. Like somebody said, I still stop in once in a while and see what's on the used racks. The "used rack" is about the only place guys like us are going to find the things we really want to find these days.
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Went to my local Cabelas the other day...just horrified at the amount of toys and just plain junk stacked in the aisles. The reloading section is a joke. The gun room was sad. I'm thinking that Cabelas is on the way out or will soon be another Dick's.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted double post

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

About 5 years ago I purchased a nice L.C. Smith 28 Gauge gun from Cabelas up in Mass. Hand no real problems doing so, the gun arrived at my gun dealers here in Potter County, Pa by UPS and it was in perfect shape.

Note I said about 5 years ago, things seem to have changed in recent years, don't know if I will try purchasing from them again or not. Dealing with Cabelas has sure changed drastically, and not for the better.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 28 Gauge purchased thru Cabelas about 5 years ago, with no real problems.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55999_800x600/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! They have a J.V. Needham 12 bore with 2 1/2" chambers
Manufactured in 1938. Greener bought the company before the turn of the century but continued to produce guns under the Needham name until around 1940.

The gun looks IDENTICAL to the 1926 Needham I have in 16 ga.
The cabelas gun weighs 6 ounces more than my 16.

They'd be a handsome pair!

Matt
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Matt,

If you know somebody in the area where the gun is being held/sold, have them check out the gun before you pay and have it shipped. Sense it's not an antique Cabelas will have to send the gun to your licensed FFL holder.

If the quality of the gun is not what you want, return shipping turns into a mess.

The double gun I purchased was new, not used, dealing with a used gun is completely different.

Good luck acquiring the gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I spend a lot of time in Colorado, but all on the western slope.
And never in the winter. I have this aversion to snow unless I'm hunting or fishing.

I have to find an in-law in the area.

But, in-laws are, well, in-laws.

Matt
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Matt,

I was thinking more like a close hunting friend that you trust and that knows the quality of gun you want.

Was thinking about a man like my buddy kgb (Kirk) who lives out west, if I wanted a gun in his living area, I would definitely have him look it over before I had it shipped east for sure. Kirk knows the quality of the guns I like, and I trust him. He also went to Gun Smithing school here in Pa.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

STAY AWAY!!!!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter,

Unfortunately many are and it will not help Cabelas at all, of course Cabalas is not helping them selves either..

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 am  Reply with quote

PC/D

Your second half of your comment is spot on.

Folks can blame the staff (I have many times) and you can blame the store management (guilty again) but in reality, it's the executive folks who ultimately drive these places into the ground. When our local Cabelas opened here 20 years ago, you could spend the day there and physically touch 98% of the catalog right on the store floor. These days, the typical response is "we can order that for you...."
I understand stocking the floor costs enormous overhead, but frankly, if your not going to do the right job, stay out of the game. And furthermore, if your going to really have pride in your store, train your people properly and terminate them for poor performance, not just to save 30k a year.
You cut your core values, you'll lose your quality...lose quality and you've lost everything.

(I will still rob them blind on poorly researched used gun prices though..I'm not above that)

William J. siefert
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Don't worry abut robbing them over used gun prices. They already robbed the previous owner and know what they need to sell it for to make a profit.

Last weekend I found a M37 Ultra Featherlight on the used rack for $250 dollars less than I'd seen very used ones go for. This one looked like it just came out of the box, not a mark on it. I offered them $50.00 less than they were asking and after checking what they paid for it, they did the deal. (I should have offered less, my mistake.)

Bill
df
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Pre BP, several times I was in Rogers Mn Cabelas gun library. I asked, “what do you really want for this gun?”
They got on a computer for a few minutes, and came back with a decent price. I bought several that way.
Again, pre BP.