16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cabelas gun sales
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

df,

When I purchased my modern L.C. Smith, even new I did the same thing, they came down a couple hundred dollars because they wanted to make the deal. Not real sure today the people up in the Mass Cabelas would still do the same thing.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hiplainsdrifter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:

You cut your core values, you'll lose your quality...lose quality and you've lost everything.

This. Cabelas started declining over a decade ago when they became a publicly traded company. They decided that they needed tons of retail stores, even though most of their business had always been mail order. After the Bass Pro buyout, they have gotten much worse. Their in store selection is mediocre, and you are pretty likely to know more than the salesperson about a given product. The way the new company has treated their staff is pretty shameful compared to the family oriented company that Cabelas used to be. Pretty much everyone I know that worked there was laid off during the transition.
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

hiplainsdrifter wrote:
dannypratt wrote:

You cut your core values, you'll lose your quality...lose quality and you've lost everything.

This. Cabelas started declining over a decade ago when they became a publicly traded company. They decided that they needed tons of retail stores, even though most of their business had always been mail order. After the Bass Pro buyout, they have gotten much worse. Their in store selection is mediocre, and you are pretty likely to know more than the salesperson about a given product.

+1

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Thanks all for the input!

I think I will wait until I'm back in Colorado in June. With 2 1/2" chambers I think it may still be there. I just had to put my French Brittany down and I need to focus
on replacing her first. I have a soft spot for tri-colored brits.

Matt
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Matt, sorry for the loss of your Frenchie. Thanks to Foutrax, we have one that's about to turn 3. They sure have a lot of personality don't they? Good luck with your search.

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Savage! Best dog I've ever had.

She lasted 15 years, 7 months and 12 days. Spent every summer of her life in the high mountains of Colorado.

There are a couple of breeders in the Phoenix area. I intend to make some calls.

Matt
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

CF16,

Matt sorry about you beautiful FB, I know what you are going thru, lost a few of my dogs over the past 2 years, it sucks big time. Getting another pup really does help, good luck with your search!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Our new Gordon Grouse Dog pup from Clearcut kennels.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56012_600x400/] [/URL]

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. She lived a a full long life!

That's a beautiful pup you have!

Matt
Pockets
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am  Reply with quote

The store in Rogers, Arkansas has a large gun room. One of the managers there told me they are using it as a test store and have no plans to go out of the gun business.

Beware--if you are one to get delayed when purchasing a firearm, Cabelas has adopted a policy where they will not release a gun unless they hear from NICS.
If it goes past the 30 days allowed by law, the NICS transaction number becomes invalid and you have to start all over again.
I called corporate and talked to the fella that both writes and manages the gun policies and he was no help.
I bought a gun online because the deal was exceptional...found this all out later.
The remedy would have been to buy it and then have them ship it to my local FFL.
The folks at the BPS store have done their best to help, but of course their hands are tied up.
I'm now waiting out the second 30 day term. Nicole will then ship it to my FFL. They neglected to explain this 45 days ago.
I am not a criminal.
Smile

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
3birddogs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Are you sure about that no return policy?? I agree "Basselas" has gone to hell in a handbasket--but, I looked at a gun in Wheeling the other day, and yes they would not take the trigger lock out. They did tell me that once I bought it, I had 90 days to return it if I was unhappy . The poor guys in the gun room are not happy with the new management philosophy and many have left.
Also was told they no longer import//sell the line of Dickinson SXS's that were selling well for them.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

It looks like Cabelas is headed down the same path Gander Mountain took.. We will see how long they stay in business with this new management. Lots of sportsman are drawn into the Cabela stores by their gun rooms, and they purchase many different sporting good items while in the store.

The foolishness has to be hunting their business big time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pockets
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:31 am  Reply with quote

The parking lot in Rogers, Arkansas each time but once has been packed to the overflow areas.
They may be changing, but they sure are selling.
I suspect the mark-up on clothing and a million doo-dads is a great deal more than guns and such.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
PC/D

Your second half of your comment is spot on.

Folks can blame the staff (I have many times) and you can blame the store management (guilty again) but in reality, it's the executive folks who ultimately drive these places into the ground. When our local Cabelas opened here 20 years ago, you could spend the day there and physically touch 98% of the catalog right on the store floor. These days, the typical response is "we can order that for you...."
I understand stocking the floor costs enormous overhead, but frankly, if your not going to do the right job, stay out of the game. And furthermore, if your going to really have pride in your store, train your people properly and terminate them for poor performance, not just to save 30k a year.

(I will still rob them blind on poorly researched used gun prices though..I'm not above that)
Dundee per chance?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Pockets,

No doubt there are certain stores still doing very well, here in Monroeville, Pa it's exactly opposite, especially on the average week day. Location makes a great deal of difference. Our big Gander mountain store folded here this year also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
CF16,

Matt sorry about you beautiful FB, I know what you are going thru, lost a few of my dogs over the past 2 years, it sucks big time. Getting another pup really does help, good luck with your search!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Our new Gordon Grouse Dog pup from Clearcut kennels.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56012_600x400/] [/URL]

There is nothing more endearing than a Gordon puppy. Period. Full stop.