16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How Should I Think About A 20ga Shotgun?
rWt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I'm still a dedicated SXS guy. I'm also a stickler on workable stock dimensions, which knocks out a lot of early guns.

I check the major sites and dealers almost daily. Also, there are a couple of folks in the US and UK keeping an eye out for me.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

I've recently been doing some snipe hunting, which requires no tox ammo where I hunt. I've been using my 16 hammer gun and 12 damascus Lefever with #7 bismuth reloads, but it gets expensive and time consuming. There are times I wish I had a modern 20 sxs with tubes (or even a light 12) that I could just shoot anything in. I did actually buy a 6lb Charles Daly 12 that fit that bill, just to see if I'd like it, but I'm just not a single trigger/pistol grip guy, so I sold it. All that said, is it worth spending an extra grand or two just so I can avoid handloading a few times a year? Obviously not, at least from an economics standpoint. But let's face it, you don't need a 20, you just want one. Nothing the matter with that. Life is short! Enjoy the shooting. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
I've recently been doing some snipe hunting, which requires no tox ammo where I hunt. I've been using my 16 hammer gun and 12 damascus Lefever with #7 bismuth reloads, but it gets expensive and time consuming. There are times I wish I had a modern 20 sxs with tubes (or even a light 12) that I could just shoot anything in. I did actually buy a 6lb Charles Daly 12 that fit that bill, just to see if I'd like it, but I'm just not a single trigger/pistol grip guy, so I sold it. All that said, is it worth spending an extra grand or two just so I can avoid handloading a few times a year? Obviously not, at least from an economics standpoint. But let's face it, you don't need a 20, you just want one. Nothing the matter with that. Life is short! Enjoy the shooting. Wink

CZ just reintroduced the Bobwhite as the Bobwhite G2, Mark. Available in 12,20 and 28; straight grip and double triggers. Street price is right around $600 for the 12 and 20. 28 is a bit more. Might be worth looking in to as a budget friendly snipe gun.

Marc

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:

CZ just reintroduced the Bobwhite as the Bobwhite G2, Mark. Available in 12,20 and 28; straight grip and double triggers. Street price is right around $600 for the 12 and 20. 28 is a bit more. Might be worth looking in to as a budget friendly snipe gun.

Marc

Thanks Marc. Funny you should mention that. I just saw that for the first time this evening as I was nosing around. Not a bad looking little gun, especially at its price point. That would make a nice little quail/clays gun too, and something for my nephew to learn on. Hmmm...

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,

Got to admit I am looking at the CZ double gun myself, DT and Chrome lined barrels makes for Great Wood Duck shooting. I lIke my L.C. Smith modern 28, but the double gun has single trigger only.

My old L.C. Smith #2 gun sleeved by Briley for 28 has been getting used heavy in the areas that I must use no lead. This little CZ gun, I just might invest in for those areas also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Why in God's name did they not make this modern L.C. Smith with DT.[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56016_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
rWt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:59 am  Reply with quote

My 28ga AyA 4/53 barrels didn't converge. So, they were sent to Briley to fix the issue. It got thin wall coke tubes. I also sent my 12 AyA 4/53 barrels to Briley for thin wall tubes.

They are my steel shot guns. I recently shot at a private sporting clays course where they provided the ammo with steel shot.

It's good to have at least one shotgun that can handle steel shot.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:06 am  Reply with quote

rWt,

God luck with acquiring the double gun you most want.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
So, my circle of friends wants me to buy a 20ga SXS so we can all shoot 20ga's together from time to time.

That's a perfect excuse to get a nice 20ga SxS.

The Ithaca SKB 200E is exceptional. And the Ithaca SKB 280 might compete with English guns at a fraction of the cost.

And then there are the Italian guns...and Spanish...and more.

Go for it!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

rWt,

If you really want to invest in a Best American Classic 20 gauge double gun, I recommend you search for a Pre 1913 L.C. Smith. The field grade gun today will cost you between $2,200 - $4,500 depending on the condition of the gun and who is selling it, if you want a higher graded Smith, it will cost you lots more. If you get real lucky you may be able to pick a filed grade gun up out west some place, for less money.

I have a couple that few people have ever seen, they were Special ordered for my Grandfathers 13th birthday. At right around 5 lbs with 26" Barrels, French Walnut Wood and Engraving by Kraus, they are a Grouse & Woodcock hunters dream gun.

I use the SpredR shells in mine and have not opened the chokes. On my later made L.C. Smith guns with SST, I have opened the Chokes to C/IC in the 1st Barrel.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

rWt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
rWt,

If you really want to invest in a Best American Classic 20 gauge double gun, I recommend you search for a Pre 1913 L.C. Smith. The field grade gun today will cost you between $2,200 - $4,500 depending on the condition of the gun and who is selling it, if you want a higher graded Smith, it will cost you lots more. If you get real lucky you may be able to pick a filed grade gun up out west some place, for less money.

I have a couple that few people have ever seen, they were Special ordered for my Grandfathers 13th birthday. At right around 5 lbs with 26" Barrels, French Walnut Wood and Engraving by Kraus, they are a Grouse & Woodcock hunters dream gun.

I use the SpredR shells in mine and have not opened the chokes. On my later made L.C. Smith guns with SST, I have opened the Chokes to C/IC in the 1st Barrel.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

They sound like sweet shotguns!
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

I just recently purchased my first 20 ga. shotgun, and it is also my first SxS my 60th birthday present to myself. The barrels will be back on Tuesday from Briley I had them put thinwalls in it. 28" Winchester 23 in 20 ga. I have a couple of 20's in the house I bought for my son a long time ago but don't shoot them myself.

Really wanted the Ithaca SKB to work for me because I have a fondness for Ithaca's and Savage16 let me shoot his last summer, but it just didn't click with me. Another friend I shoot with has a Win. 23 and he let me shoot it a lot this summer, it really clicked. So just like any shotgun try before you buy if possible. Modern stock dimensions are important to me also, and if a gun doesn't fit it is worthless. Don't care how pretty or rare it is. I buy them to shoot, and try to do it often.

At 7 lbs. it is a bit heavy for field use and I prefer the 16 for grouse anyhow. But now have a SxS for those shoots where they require the barrels to be all twisted up funny and sitting along side each other Very Happy I like the raised rib single sight plane, single trigger, beavertail forearm, and pistol grip. And as I mentioned shot it REALLY well this summer.

During the Sweet 16 shoot last year another friend let me shoot his FAIR Iside EM and I shot that extremely well also. Splinter forearm got hot quick and seemed like I was always looking for the right place to put my hand. But didn't miss much with it. At 6 lbs. that very well may be my next hunting shotgun. It would be in 16 though. Have 6 16 ga. guns now so don't really need another. Yet it keeps calling me, because I know it works for me and feels good in my hands. And both guns are not limited to lead shot but can shoot anything I want to throw downrange. Or that the law requires.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

Congrats on your new Gun, hope you have a lot of fun with it, post some pictures of her, when you get the gun back from Briley.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Cold Iron,

Congrats on your new Gun, hope you have a lot of fun with it, post some pictures of her, when you get the gun back from Briley.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

It did not come with optional Winchester case, so I got a Jeffs Outfitters case for it. Very pleased.

The leather case for the brushes were back ordered at the time but I have that now also.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

Real nice hard case, gun seems to fit perfectly and looks real good. I purchased a Browning hard case for my new 28/20 Silver Reserve Combo gun, I really like the way it fits in the dual BBL Browning case.

Seems there are some nice hard cases being made now.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56050_800x600/] [/URL]