16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2019 Browning 16ga
mcrewz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Just saw a facebook post from Browning at the shot show. They had "limited availability" 16ga 525 fields and 16ga feather superlight on display. My only guess is these are the last of the 16ga receivers of the old citori design.

Mike
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Nah, Browning has been doing this since 1987, releasing small lots of 16 gauge shotguns.

They will do it again.

hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

I think Browning deserves a lot of credit, whether you like the products they release or not. They have pretty much single handedly kept the 16 gauge in the loop for American hunters and shooters for some time now. Helps all of us who love the 16 whether you shoot a Browning or not.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

What you say is true to some extent, however I do not remember a SXS Browning 16 gauge gun being released for quite some time. O/U is a different story.

We have all kinds of SXS American Classic 16 gauge double guns available on the used market, in reality there is no shortage. New American made SXS double guns that is a different story, very few being made and those that are being produced, carry a hefty price tag. Especially the Fox and Parker Reproduction double guns.

If you want a good L.C. Smith SXS graded gun in 16 gauge, they are still available, Fox, Parker, Winchester and LeFever guns also. Even Hammer guns, in fact the Fausti girls in Italy have just released a nice new Hammer gun in 16, 20, and 12 gauges, reproduced from their fathers 1948 original.

Remember however these guns are not inexpensive.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56013_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek, I don’t recall Browning ever making a 16 gauge SxS. Truly a shame as highly regarded as the BSS is.
I’m sure there are lots of older American made guns out there. Seems to be a regional thing though. I see a lot on this and similar sites about them but seldom do I hear of any locally. I’ve honestly never held, much less shot a LC. Seems like you come across them in your area with some regularity. Makes me think their popularity may have much more regional in the past. I could be wrong.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

Hunter Arms (L.C. Smith) produced and sold more double guns thru out our country than any other gun manufacturer, even the modern gun companies have not sold as many. Not sure where you live but take a good look around, you will find them in your home area some place. If not look on the Net, plenty of them for sale.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The L.C.Smith 1926 20 gauge, under on the left, and the modern 28 over on the right both SST Guns.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56017_800x600/] [/URL]

hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Pine, sent you a PM. Didn’t want to hijack the thread.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

I answered your PM, nice talking with you buddy.

Pine Creek/Dave

Amarillo Slim
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

When Browning re released the 16 ga Lighting I bought 3 of the grade 3 's short tang round knob models . I still have two original 16 lightnings with long tang and 28" tubes . My last purchase was a 16 ga
lightning Feather with 28 " tubes . The feather has been my go to field gun for the last 8 years . I will occasionally but not often see an original 16 lightning with with round knob & long tang for sale but not often .
Still loving the 16 ga Lightning .
Old Hunter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:12 am  Reply with quote

I've enjoyed my 2010 Browning White Lightning in 16 GA. Picture taken at the Sandhills Game Lands right after I received the gun for Valentine Day from my wife in 2011.[/img]
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 am  Reply with quote

Old Hunter,

I agree nice gun, pick up a 28/20 Combo guns some time I believe you will love the gun also. If you are going to use a O/U in the field both these Browning Guns are very very nice.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

A couple of men who like different Grouse guns, the 28 gauge gun closest to the men is a serious Browning 28 gauge, used for my brothers Grouse hunting on a pretty constant basis.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56244_800x600/] [/URL]

wahoo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hayseed, My experience seems to reflect your thoughts on the regional nature of sxs use and availability. Before I was bitten by the sxs bug, here in eastern NC, I don’t recall ever seeing anyone using one in the field. Even the old timers carried semi-autos, pumps, or single bbls. You would see an O/U rarely being used to hunt with. If you saw a sxs for sale in a shop, it was generally worn out beaten up and over priced.
All my doubles came from out of state, and mostly fom up north.

On the other hand, my wife’s 16ga Citori White Lightning was a new purchase. The size weight, modern demensions and screw in chokes make this fine little gun ideal for her as a beginner shooting skeet. Im just surprised that the 16 hasn’t caught on more as a chambering for the ladies. The payload options are so much more forgiving than either 12 or 20. Shooting light loads, we both feel less perceived recoil than with a camparable 20 ga weighing no less.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"