16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Polychoke Patterns
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Curious about how Polychoke patterns shape up, we uncased our venerable Polychoked 12 ga M12 and ran a quick sequence of patterns of #7 1/2 at 16 yds with Cyl ("Slug"), IC, M, IM, F, and XF settings as marked. All look decent with the possible exception of M and especially IM which for some reason appear a little splotchy and uneven.

The same patterns at 40 yds might look somewhat different but the general idea is evident. Not a very scientific test but yes, nothing really terrible and they progress quite nicely from very open to tight. The pattern plate is about 8 ft across. All POI errors are shooter induced, we mounted the gun then point and shoot with no "aiming".

One can appreciate how much practical value the Polychoke provided the everyman hunter before choke tubes arrived. Of course back in the day in our youth we mostly used XF for everything except grouse, woodcock, and rabbit, believing (quite innocently and mistakenly) it would give us that extra 20 yds we always wanted. IC or even C would have likely served us much better.

V/R,
B.

Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

That has been my experience as well. I have a 1941 vintage 16ga 37R Ithaca with a Polychoke, and mine throws acceptable patterns at all settings.
case 1775
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

that is pretty awesome. iv'e often wondered how well those things work.

case 1775
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:48 am  Reply with quote

case 1775 wrote:

Ditto, I'm impressed, thanks for taking the time to do this and share results.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I have to agree with the other guys...

#1) nice to see how these really work, and the fact that they actually do really work quite well.

#2) thank you for taking the opportunity to do the work to answer the question and then posting actual photos. Seeing is believing.

I think the way you performed your "test" is right on....in the real world field conditions we all know where 95% of your shots are taken completely off hand, while your thinking about the fact you haven't seen a bird or rabbit or duck in at least 45 minutes and your positive you'll see one any minute now, probably behind that next spruce....whoa! I almost went down because of that slash cut debris, I gotta watch it PRRRRRRRRRP.....PRRRRRRRP....(leg stuck in a blow down, hip rotated exact opposite direction of the bird, holding shotgun one handed off opposing hip and looking down at your trapped foot.....quick head swivel...gun mounded only 80% effeciently)...BANG...BANG... WHOA! I got him! (feathers...light whiff of gun powder)....

The pictures dont lie, and it couldnt be more true than that. The old Poly really does the job.

Little Creek
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:16 am  Reply with quote

It would be good to see what actually happens down range at various shooting distances. I used to pattern only at 40 yards, but now pattern at the distances i expect to shoot game. Typically 30 yards for an open barrel (not cylinder!) and 40 for IM or Full.
fourtown
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:29 am  Reply with quote

Ditto, thanks for sharing.

I have a Model 31 and a 31L with Polychokes. I use them probably 50% of the time for my upland hunting. I have never really patterned them. I have shot them in the snow a few times for a rough estimate. The birds I bag often are well hit with many shot in them. My impression is they pattern tighter than the marking on the Polychoke. And that would be consistent, as these Polychokes were made probably made when paper wads were common. So I often have them set to a more more open setting than I would use with a more modern fixed or tube choke.

I have always wanted to take the time to do a real pattern comparison...
stubshaft
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Poly choke, Weaver Chokes and Cutts all work pretty well. I have observed instances where changing choke tubes/settings has caused the pattern to shift POI.

I generally try to pattern my gun with the load that I am going to be shooting. There can be a marked difference in the shot distribution by just changing wads.

Too often someone will shoot a couple of shots and presume all shot sizes and velocities will be similar.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Brewester11,

Try using a realistic size picture of the actual bird or rabbit you are going to hunt to pattern your gun, also the correct yardage you most shoot at. Most times for birds it's 25, 35, & 40 yards.

Patterning in this manner gives you a realistic killing pattern for each different gun and choke you use. Your 16 yard pattern is dense as should be, however shooting at that distance can completely destroy your edible bird or game.

The problem with polychokes is setting them to the exact same place each time you use the different choke patterns.

Good luck with your patterning

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Always liked polychokes,it's to bad choke tubes did them in. I'm one of the few that like the way they look. Instant choke choice with out a wrench and a bunch of tubes. What's not to like. Very Happy
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

I am imagining a L.C. Smith with 2 Polychokes. Twisted Evil
bobski
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

the poly' was invented because the idea of needing a wrench and screw in chokes with a cutts comp was considered illogical and irrational in the field.
imagine that. people prefer illogical and irrational today.
never dropped a polychoke out of my pocket yet.
poly's still work well.
the key to them working well is.....PRAY the smith who installed it did so properly. unless its a factory install, youll never know until you shoot it.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

hayseed,

You sinful sportsman you! Imagining this on an old graded Elsie Hammer gun could lead to mental disorder for sure.

Brewester11,

Have never been very fond of either screw in chokes or polychokes, like my old L.C. Smith and other American Classic double guns with standard built in barrel chokes. I do like the different SpredR shells available now to make the patterns shoot like the old slow burning powders.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C.Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
hayseed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Sacrilege.

I figured that would get a response Dave. Though I'm not in love with the looks, they work and are era-appropriate on some shotguns. A classic double is not one of them.