16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My New Model 12 duck plugs
Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Had a buddy make a few duck plugs for my model 12’s. They work great and add about 3.5 oz. balancing the gun nicely.

[URL=http://s31.photobucket.com/user/woody402/media/6F10FA6B-94F2-462B-93B5-4337B1F07765_zpscxwglcmt.jpg.html] [/URL]
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Nice
Thanks for sharing

Mike

Flues16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Much more elegant than a length of dowel rod!

Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

It all started because I didnt have a plug for a model 12 heavy duck gun I bought. Being so long I didn’t have one. Plus I wanted to add a bit of weight since the heavy duck gun was weight with lead in the butt stock. Worked perfect.

So today he sent a pic of some more he made for me. Now I have one for a 16 ga I duck hunt with some. Plus a few spares so I have a reason to buy two guns. Lol.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 am  Reply with quote

Some nice looking lathe work.

A tip for those who don't have access to a lathe we found common stainless 3/8" bolts work quick and easy for plugs with more weight than the plastic ones. My & I used 7"long bolts (=2- 3.5" shells) in his Browning Gold 10, good to go.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 am  Reply with quote

The shell stops are metal and should be alright . you wouldn't believe the amt of rear force of recoil on the plugs - I've sent brass rods right thru the caps on other guns . (even 410's )

byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am  Reply with quote

i have had brass rods punch their way out of a mag cap more than once wood is safer.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 am  Reply with quote

Wow, appreciate the input. The SS bolt was a simple convenient fix & we would not have realized they might cause damage like that until too late. I'll share with my bud and look into wood or a new plastic one from Browning.

Thanks!!

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am  Reply with quote

I have made several plugs from tree branches. Never take a plug out .

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

You need to ADD weight up front to a Model 12 Duck Gun????!!!! For Balance????!!! Sheesh! Show us your biceps! Laughing
Woody402
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
You need to ADD weight up front to a Model 12 Duck Gun????!!!! For Balance????!!! Sheesh! Show us your biceps! Laughing

Geez it’s only 3 ounces I added. The gun was very butt heavy to me so when i had my buddy make the plug i said make it weight 3-4 oz’s. Out or curiosity I weight the plastic plug I original had in it to duck hunt weighed 2 oz’s.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Woodie , you are correct about your concept with the weight - that starts to climb when you put those rocket launchers in the tube .

Cheesy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:16 am  Reply with quote

My go to plug making material is plastic coat hangers. Cut to length, round the edges and they're good to go.

For my Beretta 391 when I can't locate the factory really small diamter aluminum plug, I use a wire coat hanger. Its just the right diameter to slide in the tube that the magazine cap threads on to. I've also seen stainless tig welding rod used on Berettas at check in time before a dove hunt on public conservation lands. You use what you've got available, and thats what my buddy had in his truck.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Shortened chopstick as a plug...makes me smile, for some reason.

To get fancy, one can slide the chopstick into a section of aluminum arrow shaft.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

At a maximum specific gravity of about .62 (i.e. .62 g/cc), a 1/2 inch diameter birch dowel 6 inches long would weigh .422 ounce (185 grains, for you bullet guys). That makes a pretty nice plug, similar to what Winchester put in Model 12's (after 1935, if I remember correctly). That's what I use in early Model 12's (older than the plug requirement). Model 12 Duck guns have a lead weight in the buttstock to counterbalance the heavy, thick barrel of the 3-inch chambered gun. They balance quite nicely that way, as a Model 12 should. I had my 30-inch solid ribbed Duck gun back-bored to remove 3 ounces from the barrel and use either the original buttstock minus the lead weight (which is a lot more than 3 oz.), or a set of straight-gripped wood from a 2 3/4 inch Model 12 Trap gun. Both sets of wood have the old red Winchester pad, which, while good looking, gives practically no cushion against recoil. The gun balances nicely and is quite wieldy, and still is not a punishing gun with 1 7/8 ounce 3" lead loads, or high velocity steel loads. I'm not a big guy, either -- I was 5'8" and 125 pounds when I got it, lo those many years ago -- yeah, I'm heavier now . . . and shorter, too, probably. Laughing Anyway, I can't imagine throwing another 3 ounces on a Model 12 Duck Gun for balance or any other reasons, but to each his own.