16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fiocchi hulls cut to 2 1/2 in 1 oz loads.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:31 am  Reply with quote

I decided to start a new thread since the topic of my inquiries concerning Fioccho hulls has changed. I have moved from wad selection to loading 1 oz shot in the hulls that I now plan to cut off. I studied the 16 ga group data on Yahoo and found a decided deficiency of 1 oz data for this hull at 2 1/2 in. The only 2 loads I saw used 19 and 20 gr Unique and the BP Z16 wad, which I didn't think would fit, and I don't have any anyway! It's about the only wad I DON'T have. I don't have Unique but I can get some if I have to. I'm using PB now, but will run out so I'll one day have to change powders anyway. I ordered some SG16s wads on the advice of another member and they should be here in a day or so. Anyone have any 1 oz loads in cut off Fiocchi hulls they are happy with and want to share? I am presently loading 7/8 oz with SG16 and PB in 2 1/2 in Cheddite and it works great. I want to cut my Fiocchi hulls to 2 1/2 in to keep from adjusting my press all the time, and use them to recognize 1 oz loads on sight.
Dongotto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Fiocchi 2.5in hull, Fio-616 primer, 18 grains of PB, SG16, 1oz of shot, 1200fps, 8750 PSI

From the Ballistic products 16ga manual. Its an older issue maybe 10 years old?

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:41 am  Reply with quote

I have used the Clay Buster blue 16ga wad with 21grns Longshot in Fios and Cheds at 2.5" The important thing is the scrunch of the wad before dropping the shot

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
T-Bird
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Got my primed hulls today, just waiting on my hull trimmer from Byrdog!
T-Bird
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 am  Reply with quote

There are alot of 1oz loads for Fiocchi 2.75 in hulls on the Yahoo group spreadsheet. It seems that I have read here that those can be used in a 2.5 in hull, as long as the stack height will fit. Is this true? If so, why doesn't cutting 1/4 in off the shell and stuffing everything into the smaller space not increase pressure?
Carlos
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:00 am  Reply with quote

T-Bird wrote:
There are alot of 1oz loads for Fiocchi 2.75 in hulls on the Yahoo group spreadsheet. It seems that I have read here that those can be used in a 2.5 in hull, as long as the stack height will fit. Is this true? If so, why doesn't cutting 1/4 in off the shell and stuffing everything into the smaller space not increase pressure?

What seems to get scrunched is the airspace betwixt the legs of the plastic wad.

To avoid the scrunch, get a shorter wad of the same or similar type. For fibre stacks, it is easy to shorten the height to allow the required crimp.

Last edited by Carlos on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
T-Bird
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

the SG 16 wad will fit with 1 oz #8, in a 2.5 cheddite. I'm betting it will also work for the 2.5 Fiocchi. I've ordered some SG 16s that I haven'g gotten yet but plan to use with 1 oz of larger shot. So, you're saying that if I find a 2.75 in Fiocci load that uses the same primer and same wad that it is fine to stuff into a 2.5 in hull if it fits? Just trying to be clear.