16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Browning Belgian Sweet 16
darmento
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

I am new to the forum, and I have a question for the group. When I was a kid, my grandfather gave me a Browning 16 GA automatic that was made in Belgium. I believe the model was A5. It was a very nice gun. Like a fool, I traded it out to get a different gun, and I have always regretted it.

Today I have mostly 28 ga and 20 ga in my closet (side by sides), and I want to get a 16. I will use it for sporting clays and all around hunting in Georgia. Is the Browning Sweet 16 made in Belgium still considered to be a good gun with a reliable action? If so, what years (if any) are good to look for, and what years should i avoid and how much should I expect to pay? I looked on Gunbroker, and it looks like they are still making them new (probably not in Belgium) and I am wondering if it is worth getting a new one, or if the Belgian ones will be better collector's items over the years.

One last question - is this considered to be a good-handling gun? I know that gun technology has changed over the years. Just wondering what members think of the performance of this gun. If members have other recommendations I would be grateful to hear them. Thanks in advance for your advice!!!!
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome! The new A5’s are completely different guns, much lighter and different recoil system. Many here have them and I haven’t heard anybody say anything but positive about them. Expect to pay 14-1500 new.
The old Belgian sweet 16 price depends a lot on condition, barrel type, and choke. There is a later Japanese-made version that is identical but cheaper usually. If I were you I’d get the new one and shoot the heck out of it.

hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="cowdoc87". If I were you I’d get the new one and shoot the heck out of it.[/quote]

Not sure I agree. I believe they are only warranted for 5 years and 100,000 rounds. Laughing
Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome! Cowdoc is right-the new ones are totally different(other than the humpback look) from the one your grandpa gave you. Heres a new one
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797360812. These only weigh about 5 3/4 pds. Having great luck with mine. Most of the time, Browning has been offering a $100 rebate also. Good luck in your search

Flues16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

While I'm sure the new A5 is an excellent gun, you should be able to find one of the old Belgian made Sweet 16s for less money. Many members of this forum have them and use them regularly. I have two of them and both are good-handling guns.

You say your old A5 was a very nice gun and you regret getting rid of it. You can't undo the past, but there are plenty of them out there on the used gun market. Personally I like the Belgian Sweet 16 models with the cross bolt safeties and speed load feature (made after 1953). There was also a standard weight 16 gauge A5 that was made until 1964.

stubshaft
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Belgium 1924 16ga. it is NOT a Sweet Sixteen and I prefer the balance to the Sweet.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 am  Reply with quote

I have many shotguns. Some English SXS's. If I was limited to 1 gun it would be the one I've shot the best with for 50+ years. a 1950 Belgium Sweet 16.

Buy one and don't look back.

Matt
odog59
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

I OWN A SAFE [ OR 2] OF A-5'S OF EVERY GAUGE- ALL OLD STYLE. MY 2BITS SAYS BELGIUMS FOR COLLECTING & JAPS FOR HUNTING. I DON'T THINK ITS POSSIBLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BY SHOOTING THEM. THE INTERNAL PARTS ON BELGIUMS HAVE A NICE POLLISHED FINNISH WHERE JAPS ARE DULL. BELGIUM STOCK FINNISHES DON'T LIKE WATER AT ALL- PROBABLY BECAUSE OF AGE. IT IS HARD TO BEAT A JAP SW-16 FOR HUNTING BECAUSE OF INVECTOR CHOKE TUBES BUT I THINK IT'S HARD TO FIND A PRODUCTION GUN THATS EASIER ON THE EYES THAN A BELGIUM SWEET. BE PATIENT AND SHOP AROUND!
Veryoldman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

You may want to look at Art's Gun Store in Missouri. He has many of what you seek. Nice, helpful people
Veryoldman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

You may want to look at Art's Gun Store in Missouri. He has many of what you seek. Nice, helpful people
Veryoldman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

You may want to look at Art's Gun Store in Missouri. He has many of what you seek. Nice, helpful pe
Veryoldman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

You may want to look at Art's Gun Store in Missouri. He has many of what you seek. Nice, helpful pe
Veryoldman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Checkout Art's Gun Store in Missouri.Great selection a5 guns
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Be aware most of the Belgum A5s have fixed choke barrels, and cannot shoot harder shot thru. If you are wanting to shoot sporting clays with it then you want to be able to change chokes. As far as a collectors item, to get one worth being a "collector" is going to cost a pretty penny.
I have an A5 16 with a poly choke. For hunting it is OK except it is heavy. I am tempted to get a new one since they are so light to carry and so many on here seem to love them. But I have grown fond of my Beretta 16 ga SxS for upland and do not really need another gun that I wont shoot much.
In your case I would get a new one and not worry about being a collector.
Just my 2 cents.
Nate