16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mec 600 Improvement?
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Have any of you 600 users, tried the after market knockout by Creative Reloading Solutions?
It takes the place of the factory knockout, up inside your resizing tube, above the primer knockout.
It claims to better "reshape" and clean out the crimp area, providing a smooth hull neck, to install the new wad.
I'm wondering if it "cleans" too well, and causes wad fit issues. Anyone spent the $20 bucks to check it out? Question

http://creativereloadingsolutions.com
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Wow!
80 views and no takers. Snake oil??
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 am  Reply with quote

I like the primer pocket conditioner , especially for conditioning euro hulls to take American size primers.

Guess I didn't look far enough down they do have a 16ga .

Last edited by fn16ga on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Interesting product. I'd buy one if I knew it would open up the RGL mouths a little better without destroying them.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 am  Reply with quote

Interesting products, but lots of "solutions" looking for problems that don't really exist unless you want them to. You want the punch on a 9000 to go deeper into the hull mouth? Simply shim it. You think you really want the punch to go deeper into the hull? Why. Because your crusty, multi-time reloaded Remington hulls don't open as far as you think you need (see comment below on wad guides)? Go ahead, put the punch in deeper, or get a punch of larger diameter. It won't do anything except crack the mouth of the old over-used hull, if it isn't already cracked. The answer? Throw the hull away. The product for the 600 is just a larger diameter hull mouth expander/knockout bushing. Put a 12 gauge expander in there if you think your hulls can stand it. The $20 for that expander bushing will probably not add to the life of your hulls, but it will buy you 200 to 400 once-fired RGLs.

You think you need to "recondition" your primer pockets every time you reload? While not really the same, this mentality seems to be carry over from centerfire brass rifle/pistol reloading where treatment of some sort for primer pockets is routine -- usually cleaning. If your hull won't hold the primer it was designed for, it is beyond it's useful life (cut one down the side and look at the fried interior) -- throw it away.

Can't get wads into your hulls with regular MEC wad guides? What the ...??

I load 7 shotshell gauges, and I probably load hulls more times than I should -- and that is 8 or 10 times in AA's or Remingtons or (Federal plastic GM's in 12). In most 16 gauge hulls the 4th to 6th time is usually the last. When hulls split or won't hold a primer, I toss them. I never have primer-holding problems except with Federals, and actually the death of a Federal is usually just primer leakage, which dirties up the gun, or in the case of Fed GM papers, hull-wall burnout (pinholes) and primer leakage. If you are loading for hunting, which I suspect many here are, there is not much excuse for using sub-par components, including the hull, especially considering the quantity of shells you'll fire. If you shoot several thousand shells per year at clay targets of one sort or another, you will be familiar with the lives of your hulls and the time it takes to reload them, and how reloading a hull that is past its life expectancy is counterproductive due to the glitches and hitches it can produce in the reloading cycle (especially with progressive reloaders) and the extra care required to baby them through the process.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 am  Reply with quote

The adjust-ability looks promising, the primer pocket resize mandrel looks like it might help but I usually only need to adjust a couple hulls once in awhile so PR's correction tool works good enough for me or they go in the trash. I tried the reshape the hull mouth idea in the form of some Delrin and UHMW round stock shaped on the lathe with a set screw, different lead angles and OD's and realized for the collar to truly reshape/reset the hull it has to stretch the plastic to the point of almost splitting or splitting. When I reduced the OD to not split it wasn't effective ironing out the creases well enough. A wiggle with a little funnel or a touch of heat from a hairdryer once in a while works for that. The "cleaning" aspect I'm not sure that I've ever found my hulls needing that, but if he came up with a way to extract bird feather, corn stalk or tree branch detris from the hulls that would be useful.

With all due respect to this entrepreneur/inventor, I certainly hope it works fantastically and he makes a ton of them, but, I'd make make sure he has a comprehensive no questions return policy before purchasing.

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Interesting product. I'd buy one if I knew it would open up the RGL mouths a little better without destroying them.

I'm thinking they would split, and thats the only "problem" hull I run across.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 am  Reply with quote

In my instance , my 12ga loader is 15'' away from the 16 . If I feel I need to open/smooth the case mouth , I just push it up onto the 12ga and roll it around a little .

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for a better expander for the MEC 600 resizer. The MEC ring resizer starts crumpling the mouths of Cheddite hulls after a few reloadings. It's not the loss of hull that is bothersome, it is the time wasted sizing, pulling, and inspecting the hull before discarding. The Supersizer would eliminate that, but a depriming stroke would still be required.

Might this widget be the answer?

B.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Use a super sizer and take the sizing ring OFF the 600 Smile

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Use a super sizer and take the sizing ring OFF the 600 Smile

+1
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Skeetex is right. I've been doing that for years.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with MaximumSmoke on this one. For that matter, I have never reconditioned a primer pocket in the past 20 years. Back when federal primers were a tad smaller than the rest I had to do it on some of my hulls, but that was long ago and during times when I was at the mercy of what was locally available in small town Wyoming. I just used a socket extension and hammer. I have never seen the need since.

jbusch720
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am  Reply with quote

I bought one, but for a different reason. Herters hulls are notorious for splitting at the crimp folds, and if you look closely the deprime punch is generally the culprit. Many of the hulls split when the MEC factory punch is inserted. When I installed the punch, I set it to only slightly enter the case mouth. I am now getting full batches of Cheddite hulls through 8 loadings.

Also, my 16 gauge over/under pierces Cheddite primers, so I needed a way to size the primer pockets to accept American primers. Other people have been able to successfully load American primers in Cheddite hulls, but it hasn't worked for me. The primer backs out when I fire the round making the gun almost impossible to open. I use the primer pocket reconditioner on the first loading and then screw in the regular deprime punch for subsequent reloads.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it has worked well for me. I can't imagine the need in other gauges because the hulls are so much better.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 am  Reply with quote

jbusch720 wrote:

Also, my 16 gauge over/under pierces Cheddite primers, so I needed a way to size the primer pockets to accept American primers. Other people have been able to successfully load American primers in Cheddite hulls, but it hasn't worked for me. The primer backs out when I fire the round making the gun almost impossible to open. I use the primer pocket reconditioner on the first loading and then screw in the regular deprime punch for subsequent reloads.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it has worked well for me. I can't imagine the need in other gauges because the hulls are so much better.

I thinking of buying one for the purposed of conditioning primer pockets on Euro hulls to hold American primers tightly . So your are saying it works good for this purpose ??