16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Beretta SxS
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't seen one of these for sale in about a year. I much prefer this vintage Beretta to what they make today.

www.gunbroker.com/auction/viewitem.asp?item=61184876

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking beretta. Seems like a good price too. Not sure but with todays prices on SxS's this one doesn't look bad considering it's a beretta. Wink

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

The last one on GunBroker went for just under $2000.00. There is a single trigger version on Champlins sight at the Gun Room. I purchased a similar one for $1400. and had to clean up the stock and bores. With all of this said I have also been following this one. It looks great but I am sure the bids will go up as the days pass. I do have 5 Beretta 16g SxS's so I will pass on this one. I will not be bidding against you. I wish you good fortune on your choice. The 16g is its own frame and is around the #6 mark. The barrel weights did vary but it will be close.
Best,
Ron
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Ron Overberg wrote:
The last one on GunBroker went for just under $2000.00.

Ron,
I think the gun you are referring to is the one I sold. It was at least a 95% gun. The buyer was very pleased with his purchase.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,
I am ashamed of you. You didn't even give the board members a chance. Shocked I can't believe you would deny your friends first chance to tell you how over priced the Beretta's are. Wink The person who now owns it has quite the 16g. I bid on it but saw the hand writing early. This one will follow, of that I am pretty certain.
Best,
Ron
nutcase
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

There was one on Guns America about 3-4 months ago for $700. It was in better condition than this one. If I recall correctly Blue Book was $650 unless Beretta made more than one model of 16 ga SxS.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Nutcase,
Your right about the blue book, of course. The problem is the real market price has gone nuts. This is what I have found with 20g and 16g in the SxS's. The one which showed up for $700 was quickly withdrawn. I had emails with the owner and have not seen it back yet. The others have all been $2000 or over. The most recent being on Guns America and the Gun List on line. Chamlins latest is $2100. His last one was$1400. It sold for $1400 also. There were fewer made and the prices reflect that. The 16g in 1010E, 409, Silver Hawk, 424, 410E, or 411E all comand high prices. It may not match the book but is is real.
Best,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Actually, one of our members did by the 16 ga. 409 Beretta at auction last year, but discretion prevents me from divulging who. I do know he loves it. I also bought one last year in January. It was a find. I love mine. No, you can't have it. So, there!! Laughing
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Ron, I don't think the 424 was imported to the States in 16ga. I'm pretty sure the last of the Beretta lines to be imported in 16ga was the 409 series, including the SH. I've seen one GR-2 or 3 16ga, but it was not an import--believe it was one brought back from Italy, probably by someone in service--and the GR guns came before the 424 series. Just bought a GR-2 in 12ga, right about $1,000 once trade is factored in, high 90's condition. Has the little semi-PG like many of the BL series OU's, which were imported at the same time. (This one is a Garcia import.) Have already used it on a few wild roosters.

The Blue Book is indeed wacky on Beretta sxs. It lists my GR-2 at $660, a 424 (which I don't think is as nice a gun) at over twice that. Both DT/extractor versions.

The Silver Hawk shown is a pretty decent gun, but the crack behind the receiver might or might not be fixable. Red flag there for me. Chokes are also tight and tighter, which most people would want to open. Figure in another $100 or so there. It dates from 1961, if I'm reading the code correctly.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:

The Blue Book is indeed wacky on Beretta sxs. It lists my GR-2 at $660, a 424 (which I don't think is as nice a gun) at over twice that. Both DT/extractor versions.

Uh, I am not sure that Beretta sxs is the only gun(s) that the Blue Book is wacky on. I am not sure the BB is even in the realm of reality when it comes to the American classic sxs because of the intense demand for them in recent years. The BB seems very very dated and behind the times frankly (and I have the most recent version).

What gives? Has anyone else noted this too? What guns really jump out at you as having really high discrepencies between the BlueBook values and the internet/dealer market prices/rates?

KyBrad*

*Who is enjoying the flip side of this, having just snagged a great deal on a Fox 16ga Sterlingworth (Utica, but with Philly barrels... go figure that??) for the low end of BB value when the local dealer didn't really know the gun very well...
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Larry,
The 424 was not imported to the best of my knowledge but I have one which I found many years ago on the east coast. The amazing thing is the 12g and 20g are on the same frame and use the same stock as the 16g. This makes the 20g heavy, the 16 good and the 12g very light. My 16g was made in 1981. I have only seen one other one for sale in the last 26 years. It sin't a bad buy if you come across one.
Best,
Ron
wildweasel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1955 Beretta model 410 16ga that looks a lot like that one with similar engraving but mine has an english stock and a little smaller forend.

Has 26" bbls and weighs about 7lbs. Mine isn't cracked anywhere like this one but is well worn and I got an informal appraisal of $1500.

If that one is in respectable shape, it's a helluva gun.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

wildweasel,
Does yours have the ejectors or extractors? That was one of the differences from the 409PB. There may be a little more engraving also. They are fine hunting guns as you know.Their value has been on the move up for a couple of years now. The value you were given is fair, but as you watch the ones for sale now you can see there is quite a demand.
Best,
Ron
wildweasel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

double triggers and ejectors
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Looks to me as if inflation is impacting used Beretta sxs, more so than some other good possibilities on the 2nd hand market--although not nearly as much as the BSS! Example of another potential good buy: I just picked up a Bernardelli Gamecock (that's their basic gun--DT, straight grip, splinter, extractors), 20ga, nearly mint, for $1100. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any used Beretta 20 or 16, in that condition, for that kind of money. And I don't think Bernardelli takes a back seat in quality, compared to Beretta. 16ga Bernies are out there, but it takes some looking.