16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herco in 2.5" hulls and 1 oz loads
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Was in my LGS this am and they had some powders on sale for 15$ a lb. That's 1/2 the regular price. I'm low on PB, and have run out of 7625, so I will be looking for powder in the future. I think I've settled on Green Dot for 7/8 oz and was gonna use Universal for the 1oz loads. but that price on Herco might change my mind. I assume it's too slow for 7/8 oz? I found some 2.75 in data for Herco and 1oz, but not 2.5. 1oz #5 will fit in a 2.5 in Fiocchi with 18 gr PB and a SG16s wad very well. So can I use the 2.75 in data and that wad, if the data calls for SG16 wad in the longer hull? How well would Herco work for my intended use?
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Probably work, QUICKLY comparing 2 similar 2.75 recipes, for the 2 powders it looks like the MEC chart is suggesting only 1 or 2 bushings larger for Herco than the PB, so, if your current PB recipe just squeak's in the 2.5 hull you may have to compress the wad more for the assumed larger volume of Herco, but probably not much. If deeply concerned and you know someone who has some Herco, maybe "borrow" some and make 3-5 shells of the intended recipe and send them to Tom Armbrust or Precision Reloading for testing.

Herco should work fine for your 1oz stuff, it was my go to 1oz Trap powder but currently using Longshot, would switch back in a heartbeat @$15/lb.

Best of luck with it....