16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Old Paper 16 ga shells worth$
Donato
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of old paper 16 ga shells at my gun club. Some are rolled crimped the others are crimped shell.. Some have some very nice logo's on them from that period. I shot a few and some went off but others didn't. I have both high and low brass shells in both Win , Western and Remington

I don't want to be a mile from the truck with a pocket full of these shell and have quail getting up all around me and GOD Forbid, Chukars

What would these shells be worth if I sold them singly?
PheasantHunter16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Hey,

I couldn't say what your shells would be worth piece meal but I did just buy 3 boxes of old high brass paper remington shells, #2 and 4 shot. Have not tried them out yet but I got just about 75 rounds for $75 shipped. I'm not sure what market value is on these bad boys but thats what I ended up with.

Hope this helped.

Whippet HSB&CO
Winchester 1897
Remington Model 11 Sportsman
df
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a box of about 200 mixed 16 ga hulls, some plastic and about 75 papers. Believe I paid $25 for it.
I doubt they are worth much, unless there are some very unique ones that would interest a collector.

Last edited by df on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

Full boxes in good condition will bring money. Loose shells and partial boxes don't seem to bring much.
Donato
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Boy do they have some nice logo's on them and those paper shell smell great when you fired them. Definitely brings you back to a simpler time.

I did buy some full boxes of 16ga rolled crimped paper shell and thank god for real cheap. They were high brass #4 and 6 I thought I'd use for pheasant but they did not fire despite there great shape and none were swollen.
ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

A very general rule of thumb is that a high percentage of pre WW2 shells, mostly with roll crimps, won't fire. The primers go bad. There are exceptions as in everything but apparently vast improvements were made in ammunition, particularly the primers during the war years and most ammo companies were using pie crimps after the war years.

I literally have dozens and dozens of boxes of paper shells that I love to shoot and hunt with but I always test fire a shell from a box to make sure that they go bang.
I've never had a random dud, for me at least it has always been all or nothing.

Researcher wrote a very detailed post on this subject a while back. Maybe I can find it and post a link.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Research the shells individually. Some shells are sought after by collectors for display purposes.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 am  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Donato wrote:
Boy do they have some nice logo's on them and those paper shell smell great when you fired them. Definitely brings you back to a simpler time.

I did buy some full boxes of 16ga rolled crimped paper shell and thank god for real cheap. They were high brass #4 and 6 I thought I'd use for pheasant but they did not fire despite there great shape and none were swollen.

That was my experience when I collected heavily. Old factory, roll-crimped ammo generally dates pre-WWII. You might notice a lot of difference in the primers, brand to brand and box to box. I found that entire boxes of pristine roll-crimped ammo were nothing but duds.

OTOH, I grouse hunted almost exclusively for 20 years with factory, pie-crimped paper shells and don't recall a single misfire. If I hadn't trusted them to go bang I sure as heck wouldn't have risked wasting a grouse flush to a dud. Seems to me the shotshell primers were much more standardized when the first pie crimped papers appeared in the late 40's, looking like our modern 209's. I speculate that all the small arms R&D during the War effort resulted in much better primers across the board when shotshell production resumed after the War.

Great collection of boxes Mike. That looks like a very interesting space you have, including the unique taxidermy and nicely figured stocks!

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Donato
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:18 am  Reply with quote

WOW, Awesome collection Mike. Shocked
Benjo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:46 am  Reply with quote

SWEET collection. Mike.

Benjo
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

" I've got to admit, every now and then I find something I'd forgotten I had."

NEVER let the wife hear that. I have heard that a couple times, from her lazy Boy!
I always say yeah, yea.,,....but she's likely correct!

Please have her call with yard sale date Cool
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
rudyc
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

If you go to this site and watch their auctions, you can get a pretty good idea of what things are selling for.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/

They usually have a large assortment of single shells and full boxes on auction.

I sold several full boxes of old paper shells with them in the past and got quite a bit more $$ than I planned on.

On the other hand, they are fun to shoot and smell O-SO-GOOD after you shoot them.