16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What kind of guns do you spend your hard earned money on.
bobski
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:45 am  Reply with quote

since im told this is a 16ga website and not a hunting website....i cant join the topic except for the last one....i was 17. Wink

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Bret
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

I usually buy a mix of newer O/Us Citoris usually and older classic guns. Usually, the older guns are the kind that has been shot and used a bunch rather than museum pieces. I like wondering what stories the scratches and dents could tell.

I'm 48 YO

https://bretwonnacott.com/
A Millionaire's Dream - a novel
scraggley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:28 am  Reply with quote

I hunt mostly with American sxs shotguns. Favorite 16ga. for grouse is an Ithaca Flues 1 1/2. Favorite 16 ga. for ducks a Winchester model 24. Have used a Browning A5 and a marlin 90 occasionally, both 16 ga. I hand load all my hunting shells favoring Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls. I fall into the 76 to 85 age group.

Art

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:54 am  Reply with quote

All my guns are shooters. If I take a liking to the way it feels and shoots then I will spend a few dollars making it pretty again. If not, I will keep it just the way I got it, probably give it a good once through to make sure it works the way it should.

I like older pumps mostly.

Never have been a S x S guy and don't have the ka-ching for a new Perazzi O/U.

I would like to try one of the new Sweet A-5's.

I might be persuaded into buying a Browning 525 30" barreled Sporting Clay gun

I will rarely sell a shotgun. I did it once and wish to this day that I hadn't.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have both modern O/U and Classic American & German Best double guns. I learned to Grouse hunt with my Grandfathers Parker DHE 28 gauge double gun starting at age 5, needless to say my Grandmother and my mother were upset that my Grandfather started me so young, he addicted me right from the start, on Classic American double guns and Ryman Setter gun dogs. I was big for my age an handled the little double gun that had been special made for my Grandmother very easily. I was always under close supervision as I learned or family tradition.

My Great Grandfather was a major silent investor in the Hunter Arms Company and we have some incredible L.C. Smith double guns. They are my favorite Grouse guns. I also like the German, J.P. Sauer Best double guns very very much.

This past year I picked up a 1800's J.P. Sauer Best 16 gauge Grouse gun, made on a 20 gauge J. P. Sauer frame, it is some kind of special bird gun. I also have 2 Crescent double guns, which I am very fond of. My father left me a 12 gauge Pheasant gun and I just acquired an antique 16 gauge Hammer Gun with steel barrels. Can't wait for Grouse season to come this next year, here in Pa. I plan to use 2 1/2" RST & Poly SpredR shells in the antique double gun.

I recently sold my Browning Citori 28/20 Combo gun so I replaced it with a Silver Reserve II 28/20 Combo Gun. Got to admit it shoots well and I have had no problems with it at all. Recently the Turkish made guns have come a log way with their quality. My only other modern double gun is the new L.C. Smith 28 gauge made by Zabala for Marlin. It works well as a Grouse gun, especially with the B&P modern shells.

All of the men I was taught to Grouse hunt by, have moved upstairs to Gods never ending Grouse forest, I am about 70 years old and the youngest of our original Grouse Camp members. My brother is a few years my junior, we still Grouse hunt together, along with a few men that have joined our Grouse Camp. For me however it is very lonely on the Grouse mountain these days.

I shoot a few clays ever once in a while, have given up the Corp membership to the Nemacolin Shooting Academy however. It is just not the same without the older members and my sister in law who was the assistant manager no longer works for the Shooting Academy.

I spend a good 8 months of the year Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasant hunting along with Fly Fishing the mountain streams in Potter/Tioga, Pa. I am happy and content in my well earned retirement. I like being alone most of the time in our mountains, my memories are just fantastic.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith America's Best - John Houchins/Dave Buehner
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56733_640x480/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Being an admitted contrarian and a surrealist artist with a taste for one of a kind guns, I like obscure 14ga hammer guns that I can't find ammo for and have to return for refunds. Cool

Mark, your image brings back memories of something I used to do. I probably should get set up to paint again one of these days, I did enjoy it. Here's one from long ago that still hangs on my wall.

[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56760_609x768/] [/URL]][/img]

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Great Wolf Art work for sure, I love it!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers