16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Breasting upland game birds
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 am  Reply with quote

ramroad,

Ok how do you tell when they are done? If we are talking about 10's of seconds. Maybe this is why I have never liked the taste of Woodcock, maybe I over cook them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Takes a bit of trust.....hard to give a time as heat, et al varies.
No blood...warm all thru.
Easiest way is cook one breast at a time and try 60 seconds on a side, then taste and adjust as necessary....you will develop a feel.
Overcook and understand the error...it's not rocketry.

We often cook in the motel(when possible) as appetizers before we go to dinner.....woodcock never leave the Yoop.
4setters
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with Skeetx--bobwhite quail legs are great. Even though bobwhite breast meat is number one in most everyone's book (murmurs from the ruffed and blue grouse folks, I hear you), quail legs are grabbed first when the platter hits the table at my house.

Frankly, I don't discard the legs of any game birds other than doves (simply too small to deal with).

In order to keep my brother from eating all the legs on the platter when he is a guest, I leave them attached to the breast, so he has to put the whole quail on his plate, rather than just start grabbing quail legs.

Years ago when I turkey hunted a lot, a lot of my buddies in turkey camp would attempt to throw turkey legs away after breasting out the gobblers, but I wouldn't let that happen. Even turkey legs, as stringy/spliny as they are, can be delicious in casseroles and other dishes.

Maybe my upbringing had a lot to do with it, but a meal of a dozen or so quail, legs and all, with a cast iron skillet of gravy and biscuits fed my family during winter months a couple of times a week or so back when I was growing up. We didn't discard anything edible, and we cleaned our plates.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:32 am  Reply with quote

I prefer to fillet the breast. A pair of side cut pliers will remove the legs quick and easy. It's fast, simple, and there's no need to mess with guts. When a wing must be left for I.D. the sidecuts can cut the bone but leave the meat connected so the wing stays attached.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:26 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

We had some men that belonged to our Grouse Camp at one time, that really liked the Grouse legs and the Pheasant legs also, and they kept them attached and we cooked everything.

Myself it comes down to how much time I want to take to clean the birds, most times I just breast the Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasants. When I have to clean the birds at the log cabin, we some times leave the legs attached. We have no Quail here to hunt in our mountains any more, if we did I would leave them attached, I love the taste of Quail legs, in Texas I never removed them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:02 am  Reply with quote

What I imply is that, well, you have to cut the meat off when you eat the bird anyway, so I just figured it was quicker and less messy to fillet the breasts and snip the legs...both fit in the frying pan easier that way.

XJ1996
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

MN game regs state that pheasant have to have the head or the legs on the carcass to prove sex. There is a line that states "while in the field". I asked the MNDNR to clarify that statement. Their answer was the parts stay on virtually until you prepare to cook, to include transport to the house, motel room, camper etc. I would consider "while in the field" to mean just that, as in your pouch on the way to the truck! I checked the actual statute law. The law states that the parts stay on until prep. Could you get a break? Don't know. My gut says that if you get sideways with the warden that this would be another infraction to add to your list of little problems. I have never heard of the wardens checking for this on its own merits.
I cut the feet and head off, tuck the legs, mit spurs, up where the guts were and vac pac them for travel.
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

I like bacon; I like game birds. Never the twain shall meet when I cook.
I don't want snipe, dove or woodcock's delicate flavors mixed in with the flavor of bacon I like Steve Bodio's take on dark meated game birds rare:

" I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol."

Olive oil, salt and pepper, roasted quickly at 500 in the oven or gas grill, lid down with indirect heat. I make vertical roasting racks out of coat hangers which can cook 4 dove, snipe or woodcock at a time. Here's two ready to eat woodcock on a roaster. Last photo is them smoothered in chanterelles. Note how large and plump the legs are. Tasty, too. This may cut against the grain for some of you, but I often will vacuum bag a feathers on, guts in woodcock and freeze it. When I'm ready to eat, I pluck and gut. It tastes as fresh as if shot that day. Feathers on is a layer of freezer burn protection.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56397_800x600/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56660_600x400/] [/URL]
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 am  Reply with quote

XJ1996 wrote:
MN game regs state that pheasant have to have the head or the legs on the carcass to prove sex. There is a line that states "while in the field". I asked the MNDNR to clarify that statement. Their answer was the parts stay on virtually until you prepare to cook, to include transport to the house, motel room, camper etc. I would consider "while in the field" to mean just that, as in your pouch on the way to the truck! I checked the actual statute law. The law states that the parts stay on until prep. Could you get a break? Don't know. My gut says that if you get sideways with the warden that this would be another infraction to add to your list of little problems. I have never heard of the wardens checking for this on its own merits.
I cut the feet and head off, tuck the legs, mit spurs, up where the guts were and vac pac them for travel.

When I first moved here 20 years ago from NC where I had retired from the Navy the deer zone youth laws were so confusing I called the DNR HQ to get clarification as to where & when my son could deer hunt. The lady put me straight through to her supervisor. He told me that the game laws in MN are written by the legislative branch and even the DNR has an issue understanding them sometimes. And that I should contact my legislators and tell them they need to be written in plain English so everyone could understand them. I did, for what it is worth which apparently is not much.

Most of my pheasants I shoot in SD and use game scissors to process leaving a leg and wing. I save the carcasses in the freezer and when I get enough make stock I cook them for 12 hours strain in cheesecloth and freeze the concentrated stock in mason jars. From that I make soup for phez and grouse that are shot up with carrots, celery, onion, thyme from my thyme plant, bay leaves, and barley. The meat comes through loud and clear. With a good mix of other flavors.

Grouse I usually lay on the ground and breast on the spot leaving both wings on. Folding the wings over the beast helps protect them from freezer burn and I do vac seal them. I will cook the breasts multiple ways.

Usually by Thanksgiving the snow is too deep on the North Shore to run the dog to grouse hunt but a couple of years ago it wasn't and went out to shoot a grouse for Thanksgiving dinner.

Took until sunset on the way back to the truck and managed to shoot one 20 yards from the truck, go figure. Have shot ruff grouse in NY, Pa. Western NC, and Washington State I leave both wings on out of habit until ready to prep for the dinner table. Even if it is only half an hour after shooting.

When the breasts are in good condition I will sometimes slice them thin and cook in bacon grease. Or separate the tenderloins out and cut the breast meat off the bone. Have a shore lunch batter I make that is very light and helps keep the meat moist for frying. In bacon grease.

I took some turkey meat with me for Thanksgiving to the cabin also, but the grouse was the center of the meal.

Was the best Thanksgiving meal I have ever had. May not look like it visually but the memory will always be there.

Save my woodcock for SD when hunting phez with 3 friends that also retired from the Navy. The Admiral and Captain make a modern day version of Woodcock Cristina Di Beccaccia.

We modify and use garlic toast. And skip the internals. - We start with butter, garlic, about half a carrot and half an onion finely shredded and add the course chopped woodcock meat as the carrots are softened along with all of a small can of anchovies--salt not needed.  

Mix in the parsley as you get ready to serve. It is my favorite way to eat woodcock.

airmedic1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Game laws in Nebraska require proof of sex during transport and storage. I take that to mean in the freezer as well until prep time. A foot with a spur will suffice so I leave the best leg attached and cut the other leg, the head and both wings off and skin the bird. I then take paramedic shears and cut down the spine to the vent, around the vent and back up along the spine. The guts come out with the back bone and it's easy to get what's left of the lungs and little pieces out. You are left with a bird ready to be cleaned, frozen and legally transported.
When I'm ready to cook them I pull both sides apart and flatten them (I believe they call this spatchcock) and slow cook them on my pellet grill. I have used different rubs and have brined them and everyone seems to like them unless they are overcooked. I have also boned the breast out for various dishes and used the legs and thighs for stock.
AM

robp
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
I like bacon; I like game birds. Never the twain shall meet when I cook.
I don't want snipe, dove or woodcock's delicate flavors mixed in with the flavor of bacon I like Steve Bodio's take on dark meated game birds rare:

" I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol."

Olive oil, salt and pepper, roasted quickly at 500 in the oven or gas grill, lid down with indirect heat. I make vertical roasting racks out of coat hangers which can cook 4 dove, snipe or woodcock at a time. Here's two ready to eat woodcock on a roaster. Last photo is them smoothered in chanterelles. Note how large and plump the legs are. Tasty, too. This may cut against the grain for some of you, but I often will vacuum bag a feathers on, guts in woodcock and freeze it. When I'm ready to eat, I pluck and gut. It tastes as fresh as if shot that day. Feathers on is a layer of freezer burn protection.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56397_800x600/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56660_600x400/] [/URL]

Gil
you're right on the mark that looks fantastic