16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The unoffical Minnesota 16 gauge shoot
61bhs
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Got the OK from niece to bring wife for her to entertain while I shoot. We will drive up Friday and headback home Sunday. Anyone have a suggestion on where to stay? She doesn’t like bed&breakfast places.
robp
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:12 am  Reply with quote

There are a couple hotels in Lakeville not far from the gun club also in Burnsville the next city
robp
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Just a heads up for next weekend May 18th. Plan on meeting at 9:30 at Minnesota Hunt and Horse Club. We should try to park together in the far lot past the club house and restaurant We can tailgate there.
100 targets will cost about $50 and they usually throw in a dozen or so incase of broken targets and malfunctioning machines. Lunch is in the restaurant or there are a couple of dives but pretty cool off site One is called Doherty’s Tavern and and the other an even bigger dive called Country Prime Time Saloon and Grill. Both are really close and inexpensive.
I got about 20 guys committed so far hope for a nice day like This weekend
If any body from out of town wants to shoot Sunday I am up for that as well a couple more gun clubs in the area
61bhs
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

If we shoot early , I would let the wife sleep in, but would have to be back at the motel by checkout.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I'm going to miss it. I was able to shoot yesterday at the Wausau SxS shoot, but I have home repairs scheduled for next Saturday. I'll most likely see most of you in Medford next month.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 am  Reply with quote

Hotels -- Prior Lake and Savage are also candidates for lodging, and closer to MN Horse & Hunt. What about the rooms available at Horse & Hunt? Are they still available?
fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Considering distance to travel, a WET forecast, and no pontoons on my sxs I will not be attending. Hope the weather mavens are wrong BUT:

https://www.weather.gov/mpx/weatherstory

61bhs
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 am  Reply with quote

I don’t think I want to drive 8hours to shoot in the rain! Hope for better weather next year!
robp
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:57 am  Reply with quote

The unofficial 16-gauge shoot had a record setting attendance of 4, including myself.
Guns included 2 model 21’s, 1 very early 2 9/16, chamber model 12, and a browning citori.
Weather was good, overcast and 50. The overcast sky allowed one to see the shot-string on some stations. Good conditions as far as we were concerned. Targets and presentations were great. If you've never shot at MHHC, the stations meander around a slew and through the woods and up on top of bluffs over looking the slew. Some are easy, some are tricky, some are close, others are 40+ yards. The 4 of us shot 450 targets and I got to say not a lot survived the flight. Max smoke made some great cocktails on the tailgate and provided some great scotch to take the chill off. We finished off at Triggers Restaurant & Bar for some good food and service.
df
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:18 am  Reply with quote

The MHHC club is a great place for sporting clays. Glad you guys kept the tradition alive.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Rob, thanks for the report. It was a tough year to get that shoot off the ground based on the uncertainties, and then the wet weather forecast finished it off. I'm dealing with the aftermath of a flooding event while trying to navigate the retirement process. (3 weeks left.). Next year we'll have to get a jump on it and put together a righteous SW16 Shoot.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks RobP for creating the MNHHC 16 Ga. Shoot. It was a lot of fun and good companionship. The weather made it risky to attend from very far -- Unfortunate and understandable, but as it turned out, it was very worthwhile -- would have been for others, had they attended. Not one drop of rain. Nice fall-like weather did not prevent us from a tailgate drink or two afterward. Great place to shoot, and a good restaurant for lunch and drinks.

Here's a photo of some nut diving for just the right empty hull -- a 16 gauge, no doubt. We're hard core!

fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Seeing as the Weather Forecast torpedoed the shoot. Send them a big Thanks You for their efforts at reducing the guage.

I stayed elsewhere based on the forecasts. Be nice to have a job where you can be "dramatically wrong" and still keep it.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 am  Reply with quote

My first ever round of sporting clays was shot there in 1985. I shot a Montefeltro 20 and greatly enjoyed the experience and place. Is there still a station where you sit in a boat?