16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  W & C Scott Hammer Gun
R. D. Gattis
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

New addition; comments and/or opinions are solicited and welcomed.

Completely restored with modern 28” two barrel set 16 & 20 gauges weighing in at 6 pounds 4 ounces. It was built in 1887 according to serial number. W & C Scott & Son (Bogardus Gun Club) stamped on the barrels. Believed to be a Model 67.

Captain Adam H. Bogardus was a famous live pigeon competitor and shooting exhibition performer. He is mentioned in McIntosh’s “Best Guns” as being one of the great American pigeon and exhibition shots of the late nineteenth century using a W & C Scott two barrel set of 10 & 12 gauges. He also traveled with Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show exhibiting his shooting skills along with Annie Oakley, Doc Carver and others.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

New comments??? You mean like "damm that's pretty" or "holy crap batman, how many banks would we have to rob to get one of those" or I'd almost trade my Hatteras for that..........

Very nice, enjoy
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Wow - - what a beautiful gun! Drool, drool. Congratulations on your acquistion.

Hc

R. D. Gattis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Hunshatt & Highcountry,

Thanks for the nice compliments.

I was hoping someone on one of the BB’s would have knowledge to share about the gun or perhaps some W & C Scott history around its production date. I do not know who did the restoration. The gun was for sale on consignment. I am attempting to get the previous owners name to make more inquiry about the gun’s history. I contacted Webley & Scott and Gallyon & Sons in England. They said records prior to 1912 had either been sold or lost.

As I interpret from McIntosh’s book “More Shotguns & Shooting”, in the chapter English Proof of Arms, the 16 gauge barrels were proofed in Birmingham at 3 tons; BNP stamped below a crown and the .662 stamped as bore size with 16 inside a diamond would put the barrels made and proofed after 1954. I am making an assumption the barrels were made for the restoration and completed in England. Of course, we all know about assuming.

The 20 gauge barrels are stamped the same as the 16 with W & C Scott & Sons (Bogardus Gun Club) Makers on top of the barrels but only the serial number stamped on the barrel flats. Another assumption; the 20 gauge barrels were made and fitted in the USA at a later date. Both set of barrels appear to have been shot very, very little, if any. Kirk Merrington gave thumbs up on the quality of workmanship and both set of barrels. I have had far more expensive custom made guns not as blemish free and finished as well as this gun.

RDG

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

So, if you don't mind, how many banks did batman have to rob to bring it home?
Tim
R. D. Gattis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Tim,

Two, but they were on the small side.

Just joking; I sent you a PM on your inquiry.

RDG

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Then it's 2 less than I thught it would take
thunderstick
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:44 am  Reply with quote

that an incredible, fantastic hammer gun. just what I want to have some day. If you find the dimensions don't work for you and you just can't hit a thing with it, give me a call ! The kids don't really need a college ed.
R. D. Gattis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Thunderstick,
that an incredible, fantastic hammer gun. just what I want to have some day. If you find the dimensions don't work for you and you just can't hit a thing with it, give me a call ! The kids don't really need a college ed.

Thanks for the nice comments. The dimensions are LOP 14 ¾, DAC 1 ½ and DAH 2 1/8 with no cast off. Other than the cast off and a little less pitch it is very close to my other SxS’s. I managed 22 for 25 low gun my one round of skeet with it. Sure hope that improves……yeah, right; I just hope I can do it again. Based on that one time happening you probably should go ahead with the plans for your kids college ed.

I am certainly looking forward to its first hunt in Kansas later this month.

RDG