16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Can an A5 be TOO CLEAN?
Woodduc
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:53 am  Reply with quote

midwestgunworks.com has the A5 recoil springs in stock

1937 Standard A5-poly
1947 Ithaca model 37-full
1956 Remington Wingmaster-imp cyl & mod
1960 "Sweet 16" A5-mod
2015 Browning Citori "White Lightning"
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Woodduc! They do and I just ordered one!

Matt
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

midwestgunworks.com showed out of stock but gunpartscorp.com had them.

Thanks all, will report back when new springs are installed and tested.

B.
tdnathens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 am  Reply with quote

You need to replace both the action and recoil springs. I purchased several direct from Browning in February. The action springs were $2.50 and the recoil springs were about $10.00.
Tom
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

I imagine there is a point where worn recoil and action springs could allow light shells to cycle with the friction pieces set for heavy shells. Not that it's an ideal to shoot for, but would be an indicator your springs are shot.

Once while pulling targets for a Skeet squad a guy with a family A5 found his shells would not cycle the gun. His teammates were okay with him shooting everything as singles and him being new to the game it sounded fine by me. I told him adjusting for light loads would probably solve the issue and he let me swap the friction ring to the back. The gun now flung empties quite far away but he also complained of the recoil and wanted his gun to be a single shot again. The gun was visibly rocking him back, those springs were definitely in need of replacement.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

REPORT ON NEW SPRINGS

Earlier we gave the 80 year old 2 1/2" A5 a thorough vigorous cleaning, which resulted in excellent cycling and function, but also delivered a nasty whiplash recoil. New action and recoil springs were prescribed by A5 experts here as a remedy.

The new springs arrived and were promptly installed. The action spring was quite unnecessary as the new spring is the same length and slightly softer the the original. But we installed the new spring anyway, if only for good luck.

But the new recoil spring is a half inch longer than the original and much stiffer. In it went, using the heavy load configuration at first.

The results were mixed. The gun with 1 oz at 1235 fps was wonderful to shoot with softest recoil of any gun in the cabinet. Unfortunately there were a few stovepipes when a second round was in the magazine. It's ideal for American Trap but quite useless for Skeet and Continental.

Then we moved the friction ring to the light load configuration and the cycling was perfect except for one oddball round which we blamed on a poorly finished reload. However the recoil was noticeably stronger, with a hint of a punch. But the unpleasant whiplash has been eliminated, so we declared victory and are ready to use it on the range and in the field.

Thanks
B.